Winter Storage: Flat Spots?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Just bought 4 new Continental DWS tires in September. I notice if the car sits even for a week, I get flat spots, and a shaky steering wheel for up to 10 miles. Read that this is normal. Continental does state that long term storage can create permanent flat spots, but does not specify a time frame for that to happen.

So I'm going to store the car until April, a good four months. It is in an insulated, not heated, garage with a cement floor. Never gets below freezing inside, even when its single digits outside. We average high 20s during the day, and mid teens at night during this time of the year. Averages around 38F inside the garage. I do have an extra set of 12 year old Nittos, mounted on rims handy.

For those of you that store over winter, do you swap rims, and/or worry about flat spots?

Also, what is your gas tank strategy? The past few winters I run it almost dry, throw in 3 gallons of non ethanol 91 octane and stabilizer.

Thanks!

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I do not worry about flat spots. Sure they happen, but they work their out after a few miles (as you mention). Fuel, I park the cars with what ever level they are at. The 6 months that they sit, the fuel has been fine.

One thing you did not mention, the battery. If you do not have an emissions inspection in April (such that you can drive it to get the monitors "ready"), I would disconnect it, and put a tender on it once a month or so. I use Ctek's.

OX1

Established Member
I put the stock wheels/tires back on my 14GT and put the summer tires (and especially drag radils) in a closet in the basement. (kinda a PIA, have to use thick spacers up front to clear brembos, but it's only for storage).

I have 11 vehicles, so I try really hard to keep any summer tires especially, in the best shape as possible, as I've had tires 6+ years old with under a couple thousand miles.

It's said don't drive on summer tires below X temp, but in my mind, even having the "summer tire" rubber go below freezing, over and over, is probably not great for it long term. Not that my house garage goes below freezing often, but can't say it never does, especially for rear tires right up against the doors.

Even in the summer on cars that don't get used much, I use Flat Stoppers (not perfect, but definitely help).

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
- I don't worry about flat spots, I also don't add any air either.
- The cars stored inside a car capsule. Each tire sits on a carpet sample.
- It's stored in non-heated garage. I suppose the coldest it gets inside is 0F-10F.
- The tank is topped off with non-ethanol premium, which I use 99% of the time anyway.
- Then a can of RP MaxClean is dumped in the tank.
- I also change oil/filter just before storage.
- Battery is pulled and sits in the basement. It's put on and take off a battery tender during that time.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I am an ignorant dumb l ass here, but I have always just put a trickle charger on the car while it is up on the lift for the 3 months or so of winter. Am I a fool?

robvas

Established Member
Jack stands will keep the car off the tires

I put the "good tires" in the house over the winter

Trickle charge

STABIL or Lucas in the tank although I'm not convinced it does anything, at least not for four months or so

If we get a dry, 50 degree span I'll take the car out for a spin though

Never thought adding some air would help te flat spots. My Grand Cherokee's continentals will flat spot overnight.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I do not worry about flat spots. Sure they happen, but they work their out after a few miles (as you mention). Fuel, I park the cars with what ever level they are at. The 6 months that they sit, the fuel has been fine.

One thing you did not mention, the battery. If you do not have an emissions inspection in April (such that you can drive it to get the monitors "ready"), I would disconnect it, and put a tender on it once a month or so. I use Ctek's.

Agree with all
My car sits. a lot

efnfast

Established Member
you're over-thinking it. I have 18 vehicles. I park 17 of them from October through April/May. I just fill up the gas tank, park it, undo the battery and hook up a battery tender that I run once every 3 months.

And I've never had 1 issue with the tires, be they brand new or 19 year old Sumitomos

Jack stands will keep the car off the tires

I put the "good tires" in the house over the winter

Trickle charge

STABIL or Lucas in the tank although I'm not convinced it does anything, at least not for four months or so

If we get a dry, 50 degree span I'll take the car out for a spin though

Never thought adding some air would help te flat spots. My Grand Cherokee's continentals will flat spot overnight.

stabil would be good if your gas has ethanol in it (most does). ethanol tears the shit out of stuff if it stays in your tank too long. I'm fortunate that I can still get 94 without ethanol, but it's becoming much harder to find ethanol-free gas these days thanks to climate nut-huggers

barstowpo

Established Member
I agree everything except the Stabil recommendation. No fuel additive will prevent phase separation of alcohol laced fuels.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I roll the cars forward or backwards about a foot or so every 3-4 weeks during winter storage.

I use to use race ramp "flat stoppers". Look them up, they did work well for me. I don't use them anymore because I now have the space in my shop to move the cars around.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I use the Flatstoppers with my G70. They work well. I used to use them on my old 2019 G70 as well. I also start the car once a month and run it with varying RPMs for 20-30 minutes. Did that with my 2019, as well. Works for me.

96dreamer

Established Member
My nt05r's flat spotted terrible last winter. I also got a new set of 555g2's on the front this summer that seemed to flat spot over a weekend. I had some leftover 1.5" pink foam board and put two pieces on each wheel dolly before setting the car on it. Also set the air pressure to around 38psi. Hoping that limits flat spots whenever

Attachments

• 20240101_095412.jpg
    20240101_095412.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 38

XP900

Established Member
I have the same exact winter conditions you have and the same temps in my garage during the winter. Rarely goes under 40 unless it is below 0 outside. I leave car in garage for 4 or 5 months. Use Michelins but I have never noticed any permanent flat spot after they have warmed up and driven for a short while. I get temporary flat spots if I haven't driven the car for a week or two. I fill the tank with 93 (has enthanol) and always use Sta-bil for the winter. Sometimes hook up a charger but even if I don't my car starts up even if it has been sitting for months. I don't disconnect my battery - 2010 MY

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I put the stock wheels/tires back on my 14GT and put the summer tires (and especially drag radils) in a closet in the basement. (kinda a PIA, have to use thick spacers up front to clear brembos, but it's only for storage).

I have 11 vehicles, so I try really hard to keep any summer tires especially, in the best shape as possible, as I've had tires 6+ years old with under a couple thousand miles.

It's said don't drive on summer tires below X temp, but in my mind, even having the "summer tire" rubber go below freezing, over and over, is probably not great for it long term. Not that my house garage goes below freezing often, but can't say it never does, especially for rear tires right up against the doors.

Even in the summer on cars that don't get used much, I use Flat Stoppers (not perfect, but definitely help).
Good lord 11!?

OX1

Established Member
My nt05r's flat spotted terrible last winter. I also got a new set of 555g2's on the front this summer that seemed to flat spot over a weekend. I had some leftover 1.5" pink foam board and put two pieces on each wheel dolly before setting the car on it. Also set the air pressure to around 38psi. Hoping that limits flat spots whenever

Much cheaper than "flat spotters". I thought about maybe curved concrete forms that exactly match the curve on my Fusion DD. I live 1 mile from a highway, so if I hop right on after a 40 degree night (with the PS4S's), it'll knock the coffee cup right out of the cup holder, for the first mile or two (also, doesn't help, I park under car port with large stones).

Users who are viewing this thread