Working crazy hours worth it?

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
My normal work week is around 80 hours and I work 7 days a week. It's worth it because I can pay my bills and afford a nice house and support my family.

firebird1999us

Established Member
I did for a long time before I met my wife... don't anymore. I paid off loads of stuff but I don't live at work anymore like I used to:shrug:

prs97

Established Member
I've worked more crazy hours this year than I can recall. Nights, weekends. Was pretty much nocturnal for the spring & summer due to a big data center project.

If I was OT eligible, I'd be washing a new Ferrari on the weekends. Since I'm not, I fall asleep on the couch instead of taking the car out for a drive or enjoying a nice day.

I like to be busy with work but this year kicked my ass.

If you've got some financial stability, I say to prioritize home live over career. Don't end up as another zombie who just works, eats, sleeps (sometimes), & works more.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
I'm straight salary so, 40 hrs then seeya later!

My old job I used to run all over the country, working evenings, late flights home. Needed a 2nd job to keep up with bills. F all of that nonsense. If you want me running like crazxy, the money better be there. Life is too short to spend it at a cubicle.

Last edited:

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Rarely. If something breaks or there's some sort of emergency, yes -- of course I'll do what I need to to get the place back in order. But I'm salaried, so there's no financial benefit. I treasure the few hours a day I can see my wife and daughter or hang out with friends.

"Work to live, don't live to work."

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'm straight salary but do get fair bonuses when its called for as well as an end of year determined by my profit.

Average 60/ week. Never see under 50. Have done 90+ this year a few times but those included 40+ hr stints for emergency situations.

Currently debating starting my own and working these hours for myself.

Blown 89

Established Member
Currently debating starting my own and working these hours for myself.
As a dual business owner myself I can tell you that if you think you're working a lot of hours now, it gets worse when you're the man. That's not to say you shouldn't venture out on your own but I know from experience that most people aren't aware of what they're getting themselves into when they venture out on their own.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I know I could work 4 days a week 9 months a year and make what I do now with taxes taken out. Leaves me plenty of time.

I work landscaping and have enough of a customer base to only do the work I want when I want. No non compete to deal with. I could also do all of this work with 1 part time employee. Overhead would be negligible.

It's the extra stuff here that takes most of my time. Keeping up with maintenance on 25 trucks, dealing with vendors, covering for other managers. I would be home at 400 everyday without this stuff. As it is now I work 630-600 with a 30 minute drive each way.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I know my father regrets working very long hours back when me and my sister were babies/toddlers, as he has few memories of us then. But on the same token, he just started out on his own and needed to work those hours to be successful.

It's up to you if working close to double the 40 hours a week is worth it. Would it be something that you can back out of any week or month, if you continue, or would it look bad on you if you get burnt out and want to go back closer to 40 after accepting the hours?

decipha

Established Member
I'm kind of on the other side of the spectrum, my day job I work 12 hrs a day / 7 days a week for 3-4 weeks straight, then I take a 'break' where I work 40 hrs a week for a week before I go back to 60 hrs a week for a couple weeks straight, my second job is typically 20-40 hrs a week being 20 hrs at the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM and more often 60-75 hrs a week, so I typically average about 90 hrs a week regardless, I usually get about 4 hrs of sleep each night and its not by choice, about once a month or so it catches up with me and I usually sleep about 19 hrs straight, thats what my body is used to and it works for me

from a financial standpoint im at the point where time is more precious than money, I have plenty money but 0 time to get anything done

my philosophy/advice is to get the overtime while you can and when it dries up, use that 'down time' to take time off so your not loosing pay at time and the half

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Wife found work far from my hometown so I've been keeping to myself since then. Haven't really had a social life since then so working 50+ hours makes sense to me. Guess what I'm trying to say is, if it works for you then do it if not then just cut back.

Planter

Banned
I agreed to two more weeks - greed > health I guess. It's a unique situation that isn't there anytime I want to do it - so figure I'll cash in while I can.

I dont see anything wrong with another 2 weeks of sacrifice.

2 months or 2 years,...then I would say no.

good luck! :beer:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a full time, salaried job and then I also do my own thing on the side. I have one employee, and put in 100-120 hours/month on my own - on top of my 9 to 5. It can be stressful, especially with a 9 month old, but it's worth it to me. Time management and prioritization is crucial to make it work. It took me 8 months to rebuild the engine in my truck this year because I simply don't have the time. Between work, the baby, and keeping up with the house there is definitely not much time for just doing whatever.

smitty2919

Established Member
"Worth it" is so vague.

Married? Kids? Own a home? What is your reason for working this hard?

"Worth it" is only relevant to the goals you want.

smitty2919

Established Member
OK, so do you cherish and value your ability to "play hard"? If yes, then worth it.
Do you have regrets because you work hard? If no, then worth it.

Voltwings

Established Member
Not quite the same as "working," but for the past 3 years i've been working full time (8-9 hours a day), and then doing night school Monday through Thursday from 7-10, on top of homework and commuting. **** this. The only reason i got into this gig was i got a BITCHIN internship a few years back making tons of money for someone my age, but then that company basically failed (it was a small company) and now i'm left working a 15/hr job and still having to wrap up a degree lol ... In my last semester though, so im counting down the days.
I wish i had just done the normal 4 years (this has slowed me down to 6 years since i can only take 12 hour semesters) and been done with it. I was really able to do a lot, learn a lot, live pretty well for someone my age, but at this point that opportunity is almost costing me as much as it gave me.

Users who are viewing this thread