Working crazy hours worth it?

Stanger00

Established Member
Just a piece of advice keep in mind that when you start doing things like working that schedule. Some folks you work for may start to see no problem making things like that a mandatory part of your job. I've been down that road a few times it sucks and I walked away from jobs because of it. Making some extra money every once in awhile is great. Helping out when things are in a tight spot is a great thing to do as well. But sometimes it gets taken for granted you are always open to it no matter what the situation.
True, especially in small business. I worked in a manufacturing environment that was sales driven in a 20 day cycle and those last 5 days they nearly made OT mandatory. I didn't need to be there most of the time but they threatened to fire me a few times if I didn't work OT, lol. I got a new job after that BS.

Checked my last pay stub. 16 hours of double time and 44 hours of 1.5x this year. I don't like to work OT I do just fine with my wage.

roadracer247

Established Member
My standard work week is 48 hrs. But add one extra shift working a trade or OT and that jumps to 72...

I'm not an OT guy. I just work trades to help guys out.

azmarkus

Established Member
It's only worth it for a couple of reasons, IMHO -

You have a definite goal in mind in regards to strictly applying the extra funds earned to eliminate a debt (or debts or anticipated debt) and/or to initiate a new business venture.

You find yourself in a financial emergency (i.e. spouse/partner loses their job, additional funds are needed to sustain the household until spouse/partner finds gainful employment).

The extra funds apply towards a determination of your monthly compensation regarding your retirement (this is a common practice in government work with defined benefit retirement programs where your retirement benefit is calculated based on a specified length of time within the last 10 - or 5, or 7 - years of your employment). IOW, let's say you are going to retire in 7 years, the opportunity comes up to work an unholy amount of OT, you then 'spike' your wages for 36 months (or whatever the formula calls for) to boost your retirement benefit.

To work extra simply to afford a certain lifestyle is a recipe for disaster not just financially, but emotionally as well. At my former employer I counseled many younger employees to take it easy on volunteering for every OT opportunity or every special project; those that balanced their life/work approach consistently were the employees that avoided burn-out and had longer, more satisfying careers (and fewer lawyer bills...).

Users who are viewing this thread