Working on vacuum tube electronics

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I'm interested in learning how to maintain and repair vintage audio gear. Also musical instruments and amps that use vacuum tubes. I know that some of the stuff carries lethal current, and can be dangerous even when its unplugged so I don't want to just jump in and get at it.

Does anyone have advice on where I might be able to find good information or training on how to get experience with fixing this type of equipment?

Thanks guys!

oldmodman

Established Member
Find an OLD ham radio operator that maintains his own gear and learn from him.

And good luck finding a reasonably priced tube tester these days.

However:-D Tube Testers | eBay

Most of the problems on old tube equipment is capacitor related leakage problems. Surprisingly, most of the tubes will still operate, just not at a very good drift ratio from ideal.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There quite a few tube radio repair videos on YouTube. Here is one and if you watch it on YouTube you'll see others listed.

[youtube_browser]b1R9_VTPXnQ[/youtube_browser]

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
That looks like a great start CobraBob! The ham radio guy idea is great too. Working with old radios is a terrific suggestion. I am wanting to be able to maintain and repair my Hammond organ, but it has been difficult to find information on fixing it. There must be a lot more people working with radios than old organs out there.

Techs are hard to come by, live far away from me and are expensive.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
pawn stars have an old vacuum tube repair guy. he looks like he needs some companionship.

Users who are viewing this thread