Worst ever and best ever?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
That was all I could come up with to caption this picture.

aefc2003-9188-5716.jpg

While I can appreciate all cars- I found it interesting that this car was parked next to mine at a local detail shop

:)

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
according to some on C5 the new snake is based on the mustang II and is just as bad.....:kaboom:

dfroehli

Established Member
how do you like the clear bra on your car? I think i want to go that route when my car comes in. can u notice the lines of where it starts and stops? does it change the paint color any?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
how do you like the clear bra on your car? I think i want to go that route when my car comes in. can u notice the lines of where it starts and stops? does it change the paint color any?

I had some problems with the venturesheild- but it was a defective kit. They are replacing it with autobahnd/roadblock today. Color doesn't change/ hard to see line unless you are looking for it.

03reptile

Established Member
christ, i didn't realize those old pieces of shit were so big!

Don't be too hard on those late 70's Stangs. They survived through horrible times when EPA was killing cars with their strict regulations and the automakers hadn't caught up, so they ran like crap. Remember when you'd turn them off and they would run for another minute? All the cars did that. If it hadn't been for them keeping the Marque alive, we might not be where we are today. I read somewhere that Ford sold more of them then previous model years. They kept the flame alive. God bless em!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Don't be too hard on those late 70's Stangs.

Big difference between the Jack Telnack, Fairmont based fox body of the late 70's and the Lee Iacocca mandated, Pinto/Bobcat derivative that was developed in the early 70's. An admitted huge sales success, let's be honest beyond that. It was a horrible POS in the context of the Mustang as a two doored powerhouse. Convincing Aaron Spelling that Farrah Fawcett should be seen driving one did little to convince anyone in the know that it was little more than a vagina transporter that fit the times - however screwed up they were.

The 1974-1978 Mustang II's were hideous abominations of what was once pure adrenaline pumping machismo. The last federal crusher program should have given bonus points for every one of them to have been crushed (twice) and their remains sent to China so that they could live on in the form of inferior tools, appliances, and olympic uniforms.

Last edited:

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
TOB, the Ford "FairMont" term brought back memories. The car that got me started driving was my Dad's old work car. A 1979 Ford Fairmont Silver Station Wagon. At that time I wish it was a Mustang II.........:burnout::bored:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Even with my cammed 2011 5.0, to this day, the fastest 1/4 mile car I have ever owned was a Mustang II.

1974 Police Interceptor 460 w/ 429 stroke and a C6. Lots of custom fabrication by John Eddinger and a 2400lb vehicle weight was nice :)

Like it or not, the new Mustang's resemble the Mustang II. I think the styling of the '74-'78 was much better than the '72-'73 and '79. I would love to have a black 1977 Cobra II again as well.

Last edited:

gtconv91

Ya can't fix stupid
Established Member
Cant blaim him, i'd do the same thing if i owned that car.... Its like real estate... That car just increased in resale value....lol

Imatk

Established Member
I agree with some of the above posters.

1st, the car next to yours looks like it's in good shape and someone has taken care of it.

Personally I don't care what kind of car it is, Mustang, Chevy, Honda whatever, if the car is taken care of I admire that, especially a car that old. Where most of those cars are either sitting a junk yard or barely running, that car is in nice shape and has an owner that has taken pride in their automobile.

Also yes, without the Mustang II there may not be a Mustang now AT ALL.

There's no debating that the car was grossly underpowered and in general just not up to snuff as far as performance with the Mustang name... BUT it did keep the Mustang going through all of that EPA crap and without it we may be driving something akin to the Ford Probe... we all know how great that car turned out!

So, for me, I appreciate any Mustang for keeping this brand alive.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i don't buy that "without the mustang II..." excuse a single bit! the camaro survived the same decade while still being a REAL muscle car. and, IMO, that generation may have been the best looking F-body(4th gen 'birds aside, so mean!), SD-455s FTW!

Users who are viewing this thread