Worth buying?? -Meth injection kit? need some input

hisssncobra03

Established Member
Hey guys i'm looking into buying a snow performance stage 2 meth kit, and just wondering if it's worth spending the money on and just want to know what some of you think of the kit or some that have used/using meth kits on their cobra's. Thanks!

Ironhand

Banned
Drugs are very very bad! :lol:

But no its not worth it on a PD car unless you can spray it post blower and evenly distribute it into the runners.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Dangerous if the engine is tuned and boosted to take advantage of the meth injection. Just one more thing that can blow your engine :nonono:

Here is a better investment

J&S Vampire

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I've thought about putting meth inj kit on mine for just a little extra insurance on octane value increase.... at 19psi on 93 octane....its on the edge. If I do, it will operate via a hobbs switch at possibly 10-15psi, and will need to get the tune adjusted..

as Ironhand mentions.... all the research I've done, on PD blowers it needs to be post blower for any real benifit as far as a cooling agent....... I was looking into some type of spray bar under the intercooler - similair to the setups some use with nitrous on a H/E for even distribution to the intake runners.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I've thought about putting meth inj kit on mine for just a little extra insurance on octane value increase.... at 19psi on 93 octane....its on the edge. If I do, it will operate via a hobbs switch at possibly 10-15psi, and will need to get the tune adjusted..

as Ironhand mentions.... all the research I've seen on PD blowers it needs to be post blower for any real benifit....... I was looking into some type of spray bar under the intercooler - similair to the setups some use with nitrous on a H/E

The reason its injected post blower is due to the abrasive effects of the water/meth hitting the spinning rotors. Other than that injecting in front of the rotors is a great way to help atomize the liquid if you don't mind it ruining the blower.

Using meth/water injection is a good method of insurance on a steeply tune engine as you stated. I would run just distilled water.

hisssncobra03

Established Member
The reason its injected post blower is due to the abrasive effects of the water/meth hitting the spinning rotors. Other than that injecting in front of the rotors is a great way to help atomize the liquid if you don't mind it ruining the blower.

Using meth/water injection is a good method of insurance on a steeply tune engine as you stated. I would run just distilled water.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it :beer:

Grimster

Established Member
I haven't found any evidence of it ruining my rotors on my blower. I have it tapped into the intake (pre-blower). Using a hobbs switch (ebay) it turns on at 5psi 100% and turns off if I dip below that (typically turns off around 7 psi from my testing). I'm using a coolingmist trunk mounted kit. Im running windshield wiper fluid that is 33% methanol and 67% water and I supplement that with HEET which is 99.9% methanol to help bring my total mixture closer to 49% meth and 51% water.

Im using this system mainly to offset the crappy 91 octane fuel here. I know that squirting it pre-blower diminishes the cooling effect since it is going through the blower and getting heated up.

But my tune is sitting pretty right now. get to about 11.6 A/F which is fat and happy in my book. Im still holding great boost (~15psi) so all is well.

My kit was used and only $200....so that helped make my decision as well. I tested it out with a pressure regulator and an air supply and the switch works great. That and I have a 1.5 gallon tank in the trunk so it lasts a long time :)

Im going to a dyno day this weekend so I will be able to tell you how much hp I am gaining (or losing) with this kit. I just added an offroad h-pipe so I will have higher numbers anyway...so I will have to run it with and without the kit to see if I get anything from it. To be honest I'm not expecting any gains from it. But it does give me peace of mind

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member

I like the idea of just distilled water, I would think it would be less abrasive on the rotors than methanol.... which is a concern I have pre-blower...a few concerns post blower: a stuck solenoid and hydrolocking the motor, the headache of fabrication in the lower intake, a spray bars effect of causing an obstruction in the air path and hindering flow.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I like the idea of just distilled water, I would think it would be less abrasive on the rotors than methanol.... which is a concern I have pre-blower...a few concerns post blower: a stuck solenoid and hydrolocking the motor, the headache of fabrication in the lower intake, a spray bars effect of causing an obstruction in the air path and hindering flow.

You also have to consider squirting it "pre-blower" is likely to evaporate off the intercooler cooling the anti-freeze so the charge won't get the cooling effect as the spray entering after the intercooler. Guys who sprayed their Eaton pre-blower noted how it removed the Teflon coating off the rotors.

Kenny Bell chimed in on this topic and was very adamant about not running meth/water injection. Clogged nozzles are the biggest offenders which can result in a blown engine if it's depending on the system form keeping it from detonating.

20redfire03

Established Member
This past weekend they had Snow performance on horsepowertv and were injecting meth into their 572 BB. They did a baseline with 110oct or so and made 700 hp and 6XX tq, then with meth injection and 93 oct made 730 hp and high 6XX tq I believe. It had all the safety measures for when the meth ran low it switched up the tune and I think they either installed it on a boosted challenger or camaro but I dont think they gave any numbers.

hisssncobra03

Established Member
This past weekend they had Snow performance on horsepowertv and were injecting meth into their 572 BB. They did a baseline with 110oct or so and made 700 hp and 6XX tq, then with meth injection and 93 oct made 730 hp and high 6XX tq I believe. It had all the safety measures for when the meth ran low it switched up the tune and I think they either installed it on a boosted challenger or camaro but I dont think they gave any numbers.

lol I watched that show last weekend too and that's what made me think about it! It was on a boosted challenger, i think procharged? and they did show numbers, numbers increased 42whp on dyno...

sisky wolf

Established Member
Had my Snow Meth Kit for over 3 years..running a 1.5 gal tank 75% to 25& mix of Meth to distilled water,..controller set to start injecting at 3 lbs boost.running dual injectors after Vortech blower...we actually picked up a little over100 rwhp, thanks to the additional timing..91 octane on street and race tune..LED kights to tell me when tank is falf full and when meth is spraying...FYI..MMR has a motor on pump gas with meth putting down 1600 whp :rockon:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Had my Snow Meth Kit for over 3 years..running a 1.5 gal tank 75% to 25& mix of Meth to distilled water,..controller set to start injecting at 3 lbs boost.running dual injectors after Vortech blower...we actually picked up a little over100 rwhp, thanks to the additional timing..91 octane on street and race tune..LED kights to tell me when tank is falf full and when meth is spraying...FYI..MMR has a motor on pump gas with meth putting down 1600 whp :rockon:

Which kit?

sisky wolf

Established Member
Do not know the name of the kit..my engine builder purchased and installed.it is a 2 stage and 3 years ago the latest techonolgy..We maxed out the single injector ...had to add the second injector..by the way just to play it extra safe we add a can of Torco to the race tun

testorossa1989

Established Member
I was with my buddy (tuner) while he fixed a cobalt SS. Basic theory and dont quote me on it, there was excess meth dripping after the snow kit turned off causing major tuning issues and motor problems. Everyone ive spoke too that is a google superhero says its awesome, anytime ive seen it in action real time theres been nothing but headaches and every car had beginning stages of a motor blowing up. BAD IDEA!!!!! just my opinion though

sisky wolf

Established Member
I was with my buddy (tuner) while he fixed a cobalt SS. Basic theory and dont quote me on it, there was excess meth dripping after the snow kit turned off causing major tuning issues and motor problems. Everyone ive spoke too that is a google superhero says its awesome, anytime ive seen it in action real time theres been nothing but headaches and every car had beginning stages of a motor blowing up. BAD IDEA!!!!! just my opinion though

Never had any problem..could be the installer or the tuner..safest bet for a SC motor.lowers the inlet temp by about 85 Deg. and allows for a lot more timing..course I have stage 2 blower cams and hand ported 2001 heads and intake(brand new)

sold the car to a guy in Kingman AZ...he took it and ran 9.23 @ 148 mph..6 speed

SonicBeast

Established Member
Had a meth kit on my Evo and it led to a hole the size of a tennis ball in the block, without some serious fail safes I wouldn't recommend it. just another thing to worry about

Users who are viewing this thread