would a hi-po 2-seater Ford have a negative impact on the Mustang?

Should Ford add a hi-po 2-seater to the roster?

• Ford should produce a hi-po 2-seater sports car in addition to the Mustang

Votes: 82 85.4%
  • Ford should just keep the Mustang as their only hi-po car

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
I'm sorry but when I think high end sports car...I don't think thunderbird. GT40 yes but not thunderbird. Maybe a new name.

It was initially and the very last one was a 2 seater with a high revving V8, that was unfortunately poorly executed. If you go too high end as in Gt40 it becomes a loss leader or break even at best.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/ford-thunderbird-short-take-road-test-specs-page-2

Imagine what that would have been if they had been willing to borrow a little more from the ford parts bin. A hard top with a 5.0 Cammer and T56 would have been a very nasty surprise for a C5.

Last edited:

440sprint

Established Member
Per americansteel, "the GT500 is a overpriced factory supercharged turd basket with big breaks and that's it its nothing special"

No, the '13/'14 GT500 is possibly the last, factory, super muscle car! It IS special and NOT overpriced!

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
I would love to see Ford produce a competitor for the Corvette, as it stands my next fun car will be a Corvette; once I see what the Z06 has to offer.

Given the price and performance and prospective buyers of the GT500, I'd say it's already a competitor to the vette. Maybe not directly or to a small group of discerning buyers. For most people, when the Vette is on the table, so is the GT500. Ford needs that segment of the market because they can't really count on an average Joe to plunk down $60K on a Mustang -- I don't care how fast it is.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
Id love to see something like this. Good 600hp Light two seater. Smaller than the Mustang, which wont be hard as quite frankly they are huge. Not just weight, theyre big cars (we just look small next to a challenger....big woop).

Also, nay on calling it a Tbird. The name is just old money. Even the 2002 model that was a big deal when it came out looked off/boaty/cheap. I LOVED that Cobra roadster concept ford made with shelby a few years back with the V10. In no way anything relevant to a Mustang. Someone who wants that car wouldnt have ever bought a Mustang IMO. They'd get a vette or viper.

As for the retarded GT500 vs vette....honestly what do YOU feel when a fast or faster civic pulls up next to you? You dont give a shit after 5 minutes. GT500 is a great car but its not a vette type car. Even if it did run circles around it. Some people flat out want a 2 seater FAST/powerful, sports car. Not just a fast car.

Users who are viewing this thread