Would anyone buy a 06 Prius with 226k miles?

Buy?

• 1. I would consider it, it looks clean and its cheap enough

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 2. I would not consider it, the miles is just too high

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • 3. I would consider it only if the price was lower than 6.5k

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 4. DON'T GET A PRIUS

Votes: 90 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thenexlevel

Established Member
I'm looking for a cheap DD that is good on mpg and I found this local toyota dealership selling this 06 prius with 226k on the clock! The previous driver/business had to put on around 200 miles a day to get it this high.

Link

Dealership lists it at 8.8k, if they went down to about 6.5-6.8k for this would you guys think its worth it? Toyota claims their batteries never needs to be replaced but not sure about the suspension and engine itself.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
226,000 miles on an 06? Holy crap. I'd think under $4k or they can keep it.

Now I think about I wouldn't buy a Prius at all unless I drove it at night, and then way out in the woods where none of my friends could ever see me in it.

Priuses are like fat girls...lotsa fun to drive until your friends catch you in one.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Priuses are like fat girls...lotsa fun to drive until your friends catch you in one.

No, not even that...Priuses are like trips to the dentist...no fun at all, but at least you can tell yourself you're doing something "good."

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
At the high of millage, I'd say hell no. I'm not sure the kind of problems these cars have at this millage but I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the cost to keep it up and running. These people probably got rid of it because it's on the brink of having issues if it doesn't already.

oldmodman

Established Member
Here in Los Angeles most older Prius's have a "drive in the car pool lane without a passenger" sticker on them. Since they are non transferable, and are no longer being given out, if a Prius had the sticker it would be worth it just for the sticker.

Otherwise it's just an wornout crappy slow POS.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
At the high of millage, I'd say hell no. I'm not sure the kind of problems these cars have at this millage but I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the cost to keep it up and running. These people probably got rid of it because it's on the brink of having issues if it doesn't already.

You eventually have to replace the battery which is not cheap and there's no warranty to cover it of course. At whatever mile marker that happens I don't know, but I wouldn't be taking the chance on a car with 225k on it.

krazykorean35

Established Member
batteries never need to be replaced?

i think thats a crock of shit.

id take the $8.8k they want and get a decent 4 cylinder car that will get mb 5-10 less mpg, have 100k less miles and be less problematic

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
batteries never need to be replaced?

i think thats a crock of shit.

id take the $8.8k they want and get a decent 4 cylinder car that will get mb 5-10 less mpg, have 100k less miles and be less problematic

I'll se what my buddy says, he used to be a mastertech and worked on the Priuses and Insights. I've heard from him and other sources that they need to eventually be replaced.

That's why when you factor in the initial cost of the car and maintenance factored in including battery replacement they figure that you won't start seeing any savings from the car for 10 years.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
You could get a decent Civic for that cost. I have a 2000 Civic that I payed 1k (good deal, family member) for when it had 110k on it. Got it last December. I have 160k on it now. If I drive it moderately I have pulled 42mpg on it.

Not just a Civic but there are other cars out there that can do almost as well as a hybrid. Don't buy into the hype.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
You could get a decent Civic for that cost. I have a 2000 Civic that I payed 1k (good deal, family member) for when it had 110k on it. Got it last December. I have 160k on it now. If I drive it moderately I have pulled 42mpg on it.

Not just a Civic but there are other cars out there that can do almost as well as a hybrid. Don't buy into the hype.

Exactly! I think they said the cheapest car to operate was the Chevy Avio which could be had for dirt cheap used and Chevy's are very reliable these days. I think they even said the H2 was cheaper than the Prius in overall operating costs.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
Here in Los Angeles most older Prius's have a "drive in the car pool lane without a passenger" sticker on them. Since they are non transferable, and are no longer being given out, if a Prius had the sticker it would be worth it just for the sticker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that sticker is valid anymore anyway. :shrug:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member

Yea what's up with that. I've noticed that here too in HOV lanes, there appears to be a "Prius Exception" to the rule.

This strikes me as VERY illogical considering that Prius' really shine mpg-wise in 'city' conditions (i.e. stop n go traffic). Their hwy mpg is only very slightly higher than their city.

This means that Prius' should have to drive in the lane with the MOST traffic, and leave the rest of us to get our best possible mpg.

To the OP, in short, no.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
the only way I'd own a prius is if it was given to me........................and I'd own it enough to sell it for $$$$.

that goes for any hybred vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread