wreck ... help!

DOHC 32valve

Sorry to hear about your wreck but glad everyone is ok. I just went through a very similiar accident with my 01 vert. Only I pulled out in front of an 02 accord and she hit me right in front of the drivers side mirror going about 45mph...my car took a pretty good shot to say the least. The front bumper cover, head light lens was about 70 feet away from my car. The damage was pretty bad, a total of $13,627. The replaced just about everything from the firewall forward. The engine had no damage except for battery acid on the driver side valve cover, that was it!!! The left front wheel had about a 1" scratch so I asked Ford to ship it out to get it fixed and they did . Had alot of frame damage, no damage to the brakes at all. All of this damage took Ford about 9 weeks to fix. They did a fantastic job on the repair. Drives just it like it did when I drove it off the lot 2 years ago. I have state farm insurance and living in Georgia your claim is automatically processed for "diminished value". Just to give you an idea of what to expect if you do get a diminished value check, I received a check of $1287 for total damage of $13,627. I was a little disappointed in the check as I was hoping for at least $3500 but this was my guess of what I would receive. My car was fixed with ALL FORD parts. I would ride nationwide to make sure you get ALL FORD parts. Good luck with your claim....I visited the body shop about 3-4 days a week to keep tabs on my car even chatted with the tech that did about 90% of the work, plus I complimented him every time I saw him as his work was phenominal!!!!!!

TruBlu03

Just to add, you might want to bring whoever is working on your car a 6 pack or two every now and again. ;) Just don't let them drink it all before working ont he car!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Elapidae
Coleman!!!! ,

I'm really sorry dude. That makes you sick I know. Good thing is that you're al right.

I'm going to go against the grain here. I think the car is not going to be totalled. I expect that most of the damage is really cosmetic. The front 18" of this car is just fluff. In that side pic, you can clearly see that the passenger front wheel remained in place and appears to be perfectly in place. The inside quarters on these cars are made in sections so they will replace the first and second section on the passenger side and probably the first on the drivers side plus the outside panels. Hood, front facia. I'll bet it's 7K to 9K in damages and that's mainly because Cobra parts are so much more expensive. The estimate can go up a lot depending on what else needs to be replaced (radiators, etc...) but I think the potato will live again. If the K-Member is still perpendicular, I think you'll get her back better than new. There is a claim you should make for dimished resale. Ask her insurance agency about it. Also, go to the doctor and get checked out. I'm not advocating any type of insurance fraud or anything, but even if your're fine, you'd be amazed how much more friendly her insurance company is when they hear that you've made a trip to the Dr. As for where to take it... Usually your insurance company will have a place they recommend. Generally a dealership (Town East Ford Body shop is popular with Insurance Companies). I know you're heard different, but in my several experiences with dealership body shops, they generally do a better job than the assembly line that did it in the first place. You don't have to choose the body shop that your insurance company recommends, but generally, they will offer a lifetime satisfaction guarantee if you do and that's worth it in my opinion.

Again, glad nobody was seriously hurt. Hang in there. As others have said, let us know if there is anything we can do.

No, you can't Auto-X in my car! ;-)
Ditto, It ain't as bad as it looks, Have done alot of work on wrecks. This is mostly cosmetic and nowhere near totalled. Should drive fine.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Well 1st of glad you and the lady are ok. Next thing is I feel your pain man. I got tagged about 2 moths ago. Rear ended. My baby got put back to looking brand new but you my friend I think will not be as lucky. :( Sorry about that. I will let you know that the dude that hit me has Nationwide also and are they pricks to deal with. I hope your experience with them goes better than mine.

Let me guess she was eating fries, brushing her hair, and talking on the cell phone all at the same time. Man it really pisses me off how so many people really don't pay attention. Its like they are dreaming or something. BTW I'm not sure who posted earlier in this thread but I agree it seems like people get right up on my butt at the stop lights. Maybe I'm just paraniod now after taking a good whack from the rear but it sure does look like they are almost touching my rear bumper sometimes.

I personally would consider trying to get them to total it. The frame looks like it is tweaked. Again glad you are alright.

coleman

Established Member
Thank you all for your kind thoughts & advice!

The dealership said the damage was less than feared, but they did have to remove the engine to weld in some fork-lift type extensions to hold the engine...

My insurance is Nationwide & has been SUPERB to be -- but, I'm the policy holder & that may have a bearing on their attitude. From my perspective Nationwide has been :thumbsup: awesome. They had someone our there within two work days & was ready to cut a check when I told them to hang on cuz I was sure the other company would have no option but to accept blame (so to speak).

Her insurance company has been far from easy to work with up 'til recently. Middlekauff ford is going to do their best job on fixing the car ... I'm going to remain in a holding pattern regarding a new car until I can get my car back and judge for myself.

I have absolutely no idea what to ask her insurance company for besides repair costs.

I was thinking of $20 per day for loss of use & diminished value.
How does one arrive at a "diminished value" to ask for?
Maybe I'll have Middlekauff ford try to help me w/ that since they should be making ample $$$ off the repairs -- with all Ford parts :)

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Coleman, I'm not sure how much of the car they are going to paint, but my guess is over half. If they are going to paint the complete car, you might think about moving from the Zinc Yellow to the Chrome Yellow. Chrome yellow is a little deeper in hue...

Good luck with the car... Mac

coleman

Established Member
Well, I'm still waiting for my car ... dealership is waiting for a replacement crankshaft pully & belt.
After that, they'll re-install the engine & paint it.
Maybe I'll get the car back in a week or two :cryying:

ok, the insurance compay is giving me grief again & because i didn't have any personal injury, i'm afraid that an attorney may be less likely to take the case...

i asked for "dimished value". they said that i'm not entitled to it cuz they used 2003 parts. i know that's BS! they said i needed to talk to the lein holder ... wild-goose chase.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Sorry about your accident coleman, but glad you are okay. When I was driving my 97 Z28 a guy clipped the left front when trying to change lanes. His Ins. company was Nationwide and they started out being pricks, saying I couldn't use my choice of body shop , O.E parts, but as soon as the adjuster came and looked at my car, and I told him how it was gonna be, a week later I recieved a check. My car was beauftiful before the wreck, it damaged the left frt. fender, frt bmpr cover, and scratched the left front wheel, I got an estimate for $2700 and my uncle works at a body shop and the repair cost me $1350 and that was using O.E parts. I had to argue with them on my wheel and using aftermarket body parts, they wanted to use a salvage yard wheel, but we settled on half the price of a new wheel and I got my O.E body pieces. I have learned that as soon as you contact the ins. co. you have to be very straightforward, borderline asshole or they will jerk you around until they get their way.

03trubluGT

Established Member
I have USAA insurance, and on March 24th, I got some hail damage on my '03.... I went to the Ford house (that got pummelled by hail) and got an estimate from the dentless repair guy that they have temporarily "housed" at the dealership to repair their cars and he quoted me $900... I faxed the estimate to the ins co. (the only estimate I got) and they are mailing me a check for $700 (less $200 comprehensive deductible)....

They never sent an adjustor to look at it, but I'm an honest guy:rolleyes:

coleman

Established Member
yeah, that was some big hail we had around here ... luckily my car was in the shop being repaired so i won't have another issue to deal with...

coleman

Established Member
i think my engine was fine... we'll find out soon enough!
i'm not what the procedure is w/ regard to getting the car back but i'm sure i'll take a test drive & an insurance buddy to check the car out.

NOScobra2001, how do you like your vert? if you had it to do over again would you get a coupe or vert? cuz, i'm considering trading my wrecked cobra in on a new 2003 white vert... but, i've never owned a vert & don't want to regret it later...

99SVTcobraVERT

pro's and con's buddy, pro's and cons. pro, it dont matter how fast your coupe is if i can put my conv't top down in the summer time (to the general public {women} lol). con, it isnt as fast as a coupe with same power (vert weighs about 200lbs more). pro its really easy to clean the car w/o a top to worry about scrubbing and less area to have scratches. con, a top will wear out after 4-5 years. pro, it has GREAT visability with top down with pretty much no blind spot if you have good vision all the way around. con, with the top up it greats more of a blind spot. pro,nothing beats a corning a back road at night in warm weather with top down. con, the car doesnt corner as well as coupe and shakes when you hit a hole in the road. there is also more road noise with top up. but with top down it creates a perfect wind pocket around you. so you can talk with top down on cell, listen to radio just fine or have conversation with person next to you. i love my convt and ive had 2 (99 and this 01). let me tell you its a stage you go thru. my next cobra will be a coupe because im over the convt thing now. get the convt man! you will never kick yourself for having one! because let me tell you, you get looks and thumbs up in your car im sure, but put the top down and throw on a set of shades and see people envy you and drool with their thumbs up....

Users who are viewing this thread