Wrench light with FRPP SC

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Wondering if anyone else is getting this. About once a week lately the wrench light pops on and I lose all throttle. Goes to idle. Last time it happened I was at a few psi, about hit the dash. Oddly it's not storing any codes as checked with an IDS. I'm thinking the throttle body motor, but it should sure leave a code in the pcm. Of course when I look at the PIDs everything is acting normally. Checked for pin push-out and harness connections, all that.

It's the stock FRPP/ Roush kit throttle body.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Make sure there no water in your throttle blade motor plugs. And check those push like again but that should have thrown a code I would think.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Found it I believe.. today I did a long decel, slowing down on the highway on a grade by bumping the cruise buttons down. Wrench light popped on, and for once it got pissed off enough to light the check engine light too. Finally got a code. P0100, MAF ckt low. The issue is an air leak with the JLT intake yet again. I did a bunch of work on it to get the MAF to seal due to a seam through the mounting pad and holes that weren't drilled correctly for the grommets. Tuner says look close for cracks.

I'll smoke check the thing Monday and see what's wrong with it this time. I'm gonna be ticked if it's cracked, apparently that is not uncommon..

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Found it I believe.. today I did a long decel, slowing down on the highway on a grade by bumping the cruise buttons down. Wrench light popped on, and for once it got pissed off enough to light the check engine light too. Finally got a code. P0100, MAF ckt low. The issue is an air leak with the JLT intake yet again. I did a bunch of work on it to get the MAF to seal due to a seam through the mounting pad and holes that weren't drilled correctly for the grommets. Tuner says look close for cracks.

I'll smoke check the thing Monday and see what's wrong with it this time. I'm gonna be ticked if it's cracked, apparently that is not uncommon..

sounds like you should just go back to the stock air box. Also sending you a PM:beer:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
So, it's Monday and I smoke tested the air tube. Surprise surprise, smoke rolling out around the MAF sensor. Again. The holes that are not the same width as the MAF holes caused the rubber wellnuts to wear on one side and eventually tear causing the air leak.
That's funny, that's EXACTLY what I told Tucker would happen to this setup. If I remember right at the time he said something to the effect of 'that's stupid, rubber doesn't wear' while blowing off my warranty request.

There was some fine dust in the air tube.. therefore the motor. Thanks JLT, your products and service rock.

Bud

Established Member
Damn man, that sucks. Wonder if the whipple intake is any better (too bad it is 600+ dollars)

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Not sure, already got 500 in this one. After the 25 mile drive home it is much improved. I did the exact same thing that kicked the P0100 the other day and nothing, didn't miss a beat. The new wellnuts were about a buck each, I grabbed some extras. Guess I'll just change them out now and then since I'm stuck with this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread