Yellow coolant, can I go with something other than Ford?

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Hey guys.. I lost some coolant when i pulled my blower, and Ford parts dept.'s are all closed today...

I have the yellow/gold coolant, not the florescent green one. Has anyone used soemthing other than the ford coolant during a blower swap?

U1arunit

10 Second Club
Established Member
Don't mix in any other color. Use some water for now, you can always put more of the correct yellow coolant in later.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have heard of some mixing brands (same color) but personally I would stick with the same brand (and of course the same color). It is likely your local Ford dealer has the coolant you need so maybe you can hold off driving the car until you can get there on Monday. Just a thought.

If what you found is known to be the same brand/color then I'd go ahead and use it. You would mix distilled water with it anyway.

03DOHC

Established Member
According to Ford the different coolant types are not compatible and are not supposed to be mixed.

Stang2WRX

Established Member
yea, you're never supposed to mix types...

you can totally flush a system and switch depending on the vehicles set-up.

but for more daring cobra owners, penzoil or prestone makes one that is supposedly compatible with ANY opther type.

metaman

Established Member
Add some Redline Water Wetter and some water. I did this with my factory fluid and have had no problems. The water wetter improves the heat transfer capabilities the coolant. MAKE SURE YOU USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY! The minerals in non-distilled types of water will bond to the metal in the system and reduce its effeciency.

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
Stang2WRX said:
but for more daring cobra owners, penzoil or prestone makes one that is supposedly compatible with ANY opther type.

I used that and it worked great. No problems.

Users who are viewing this thread