Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
MY DREAM said:
Its a lot of work to put those bushings in. I want to make sure they will solve the problem at hand befor I spend a weekend tearing the IRS out of my car, then geting the old bushings out is a whole nother story.

James

My feelings exactly.

I wish MM would have more proof than just saying "this eliminates vibration". A technical explanation would help..

Sleev-les

Established Member
In my 94 GT i had vibration problems over 80mph. it was just an unbalanced driveshaft. Just a thought for the cobras too

03blackvert

Established Member
Well, I'm very frustrated. If you go back you can see my previous post about tire balancing. I finally got the car back up over 80 (would you know, it's two years old with under 4k miles on it) and there is still a vibe, but less of one than before. Enough I find it annoying.

I'm debating my options. I honestly don't expect ford to be any help. The tires passed the road force balancer, so I don't think they can be it no matter how bad the F1's are. I think I might have the drive shaft balanced by an independant shop next, that seems like the next most likely cause. Other than that things get expensive in a hurry!

1/2 bent

Established Member
03blackvert said:
Well, I'm very frustrated. If you go back you can see my previous post about tire balancing. I finally got the car back up over 80 (would you know, it's two years old with under 4k miles on it) and there is still a vibe, but less of one than before. Enough I find it annoying.

I'm debating my options. I honestly don't expect ford to be any help. The tires passed the road force balancer, so I don't think they can be it no matter how bad the F1's are. I think I might have the drive shaft balanced by an independant shop next, that seems like the next most likely cause. Other than that things get expensive in a hurry!
lol drive that thing. My car vibrates a tad at around 80. I have had the car past 140 several times and drive it daily.Its my only car. I have 20k on my 03 and the vibration hasnt hurt anything.

jpk

Established Member
The Terminator is supposed to come with a good aluminum driveshaft. I'm surprised that folks are having this problem. It was also common on the SN95s, but upgrading to the FRPP aluminum driveshaft fixed it.

If the tires are really balanced, could it be the alignment needs to be checked?

JimBobWay

Established Member
I road forced balanced my stock F1s but still had the vibe. Went to GS-D3s all the way around - much better

mike69440

Established Member
Vistron Ford has manufacturing Problem

Most of the 80 MPH Vibe problems on the Cobra's are the driveshaft.

IRS applifies any unbalance, what works with solid axle does not cut it with the IRS.

Ford has had a cronic problem with their inalbility to produce driveshafts withn balance and TIR toleance that SVT specified.

If it was not for SVT steping in, the dealer refused to change drive shafts as they would not verfiy vibration and road test any car in excess of 65 MPH.

3 driveshafts later I have one that is almost vibration free.

Thanks for nothing, Grappone Ford.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
What I can't figure out is why Ford allows their suppliers to continue to provide such poor quality components! I have worked with several auto suppliers who were forced by GM and Chrysler to make expensive replacements for components that had cosmetic flaws, not to mention problems with tolerance. I mean, one suppler has a 3ppm (3 per million) defect (not failure) rate on spark plugs and Chrysler was bitching about that! Ford just wants price reductions. Quality is job 8,453,765.

04RedOne

Established Member
Good info here... I wish I would've read this sooner. My car is at the dealership right now. This is the 7th or 8th time I have taken it in for the vibration and they are finally getting the ford engineer involved. Over the 7 or 8 trips, the dealership has replaced 7 F1's to end up giving me a new set of BFG kdw's which was still not smooth so they replaced 3 more of those and car is still not right. Thats around 14 tires in less than 6000 miles. I took it in for the first time around 1800 miles, so this has been going on to long.

I do have a shake in the steering wheel as well as the mid part of the car. The dealership says that indexing the DS may take care of the mid to rear vibe but sticking to their guns on the tire issues because of the steering wheel movement. Everytime they changed out the tires the vibe would come in at a different speed. Sometimes as early as 40 to as late as 80.

My question is... do you guys think I have issues with both DS and tires or will the DS issue make the steering wheel shake also?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
04RedOne said:
Good info here... I wish I would've read this sooner. My car is at the dealership right now. This is the 7th or 8th time I have taken it in for the vibration and they are finally getting the ford engineer involved. Over the 7 or 8 trips, the dealership has replaced 7 F1's to end up giving me a new set of BFG kdw's which was still not smooth so they replaced 3 more of those and car is still not right. Thats around 14 tires in less than 6000 miles. I took it in for the first time around 1800 miles, so this has been going on to long.

I do have a shake in the steering wheel as well as the mid part of the car. The dealership says that indexing the DS may take care of the mid to rear vibe but sticking to their guns on the tire issues because of the steering wheel movement. Everytime they changed out the tires the vibe would come in at a different speed. Sometimes as early as 40 to as late as 80.

My question is... do you guys think I have issues with both DS and tires or will the DS issue make the steering wheel shake also?

DS would not affect your front end, sounds like a tire or alignment issue.

JimBobWay

Established Member
I ended up getting new wheels becasue I got 10.5's for the rear. Once I swapped my rears to the front, that shake of the wheel went away. Maybe a wheel problem, not the tire. A thought anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread