Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Re: UPDATE!!

Originally posted by Alfasin
Well, the dealership dogged me as I expected. They basically told me they couldn't do anything for me and that I should go ahead and sue Ford. That said, I picked my car up after 31+ days in the shop. Buyer beware if you intend on making a purchase from Magnussen's Ford in Fremont, CA.:gt: This was the crappiest car buying experience I've ever encountered. I guess it's war between myself and Ford!

- Derik

Bring the dealer in on the lawsuit and contact some local TV stations

Jim S

Established Member
About how much mileage did you folks have on your '03 Cobra when this problem crept up?

Last edited:

Alfasin

Established Member
RE: Jim S

Jim S,

I only had 35 miles when I noticed this. Also note that the pulling issue was present as soon as I hit the freeway going past 75 mph or so. The vibration issue is definately an issue and based on the polls, clearly something Ford needs to get their shit together about. Otherwise, they'll be spending a bundle attempting to correct the issue or in buybacks. I'll reiterate my previous posts in that I'm truly amazed at how Ford and the dealers have handled this situation. Ford should be ashamed! :bash:

Stalker

Established Member
New info from Galpin. Just heard from my service manager and a couple of Ford engineers are there taking a look at the cars. One is Jim Green, anyone know of him? At any rate, they are sending the drive shafts out to be balanced. (hasn't that already been tried?) and the information gleened from this test is being sent back to Ford. I'll keep you all informed as I find out more info tomorrow.

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim S
About how much mileage did you folks have on your '03 Cobra when this problem crept up?

Mine was there from day one.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Stalker
At any rate, they are sending the drive shafts out to be balanced. (hasn't that already been tried?) and the information gleened from this test is being sent back to Ford.

Stalker, It seems they're trying different approaches on our cars. Whichever stops vibrating first will probibly be the "fix" for both. My service guy, Mark Post, says they're ignoring my DS and concentrating forward of the tranny. BTW the same guy is working on mine as well and they seem to think highly of him.:shrug:

FamilyMan

Established Member

KingKobra

Established Member
I definitely have the vibration... it starts at about 80, and doesn't go away as far as I can tell. I can engage the clutch and put the car in neutral, and it still vibrates, without decrease... This could still be the driveshaft, but, I'm honestly afraid to drive it at ~80MPH , because I just don't know how many bolts I'm loosening, by having it vibrate so bad. I originally thought it might be the tires... but I don't think it is. I just hope that this isn't the first complaint that my dealer has, and they get to dissect my car like some freaken science experiment. :shrug:

Stalker

Established Member
This is a stab in the dark, but consider this idea. After doing a little search for vibration in the t56 I came across this page and it seemed very interesting... especially in light of the fact that my service advisor has been telling me that the runout at the pinion is longer than it should be.

http://para.noid.org/~lj/Boom5/boom5.htm

Now please keep in mind that I am a novice mechanic, but does this sound like it has any merit in this case? Could the pinion yoke be crooked on the pinion splines? Can this be easily tested by someone with the means and experience?

Fred G

Established Member
Jim S and the group:
I felt the vibe from the minute I turned out of the dealership, when I picked up my car. I began to hear a resonance at about 40-45 and by 80 I couldn’t see out if the rear view mirror. I brought it back the next day, and after not finding any other obvious problems, I demanded they order a new drive shaft, which they did do. The DS came in the following day and after replacing it, about 90% of the vibe was gone. I had already learned that the dealer was totally clueless about the indexing procedure, and as such, I refused to let them try any hit or miss half-assed attempts of fixing a problem, that in my mind would only wind up making a bad situation worse. Instead, I requested to speak to the factory rep, who turned out to be extremely knowledgeable and fully familiar with the vibe problem, (amazing that an SVT dealership could be clueless about this) as well as the indexing procedure, and not just on the yoke end of the DS. I made arrangements to meet the rep at the dealership, which is where HE fixed my car. I love this car….and by the way, unless I feather it through the gears, it clunks like crazy….I still love this car….and the noisy trans…Hey, I grew up in the 60’s. Most of my big block Chevy’s had M22’s….you haven’t heard tranny noise until you’ve driven an old rock crusher….God I love this car.

Mowgli

Established Member
All,

Folks should follow Fred G.'s advice. Make the dealer go right to the rep. Unfortunately you may need to do at least one visit to the dealer, whereupon they won't be able to fix it, before you can escallate it.

I am waiting on the rep myself. My dealership clearly doesn't have th e tools to deal with the problem, although I believe the tech is open minded and honest about it. The service head, however, thats the guy who works the phone, is more evasive.

As for the clunk, I've ridden in several LS1s and corvettes with this same tranny. Its the tranny, not the car, and is "normal" for it. Its a beefy transmission, after all.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
Well my dealer calls me back and tells me SVT has "about 20" or so cars that have a back DS. And they are investigating them and differentials there and are supposedly going to issue a TSB on it.

This I think doesn't affect me since I've already had a new DS put in place. But I thought I'd pass along the info.

Jim S

Established Member
Call me ignorant. I guess TSB is tech service bulletin?

They'll tell dealership service how to remedy this?

Fred G

Established Member
Originally posted by Mowgli
Well my dealer calls me back and tells me SVT has "about 20" or so cars that have a back DS. And they are investigating them and differentials there and are supposedly going to issue a TSB on it.

This I think doesn't affect me since I've already had a new DS put in place. But I thought I'd pass along the info.

20 my ass! I'll bet it's closer to 200!

Stalker

Established Member
Here's the latest on the DS saga: Waited a couple of days while the dealer sent the drive shaft out to get balanced. Got a call today and the service manager says that the performance shop couldn't balance the driveshaft because the runouts where too large. So now they have to order another drive shaft, which we may see by Tuesday. Then send that one out to get it balanced. So if I am lucky I might see my car by the end of next week. This sucks.:fm: :cuss: :gt: :mj: :cryying:

Forgot to mention this: They said that it's possible this is a manufacturing problem at the factory. Do I smell a recall already?:eek:

Last edited:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Good Lord. I have not experiecned this issue. My 03 is smooth as silk 40-50-60-70-80-90

E.L Marshall

Established Member
#684....... is running like a dream, no vibs, steering pull, no noises from motor, everything is right.....knock on wood.

I took my 03 for a good test drive on I95 and took a good look at all of the "issues" posted here before I handed over $$$.

;-)

Jim S

Established Member
I was at the "Tower shops" in SW Ft Lauderdale tonight. Pretty amazing gathering of American muscle cars.

Two '03 Cobra coupes. One was brand new white with 150 mi; the other black with 1500 mi. This owner has had his car up to 130 mph with no vibration.

lugnut

Established Member
512 miles in 2 days.

6.3 miles when I picked her up.

Only thing to note is a rather whiney 1st gear. No biggie.

This car rocks!!! The guys at SVT are my new heroes...

I am totally thrilled!

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread