Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Well, I am going to let you all know that I have the problem as well. It kicks in around 75 and it makes me want to slow down. Today, I did turn off the traction control and it was not as bad. I am not sure if this is the answer to our problem and I am sure it is not, but it did reduce the vibration by about 20%. I will be taking it to a different SVT dealer Monday (original found nothing). Will keep updated.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Stalker,
I saw your DS when I picked up my car (can't leave it any longer going out of country on business). I got a chuckle out of the writing on it. From the factory it had written "good part". They reindexed mine and ordered a new DS. They showed me the #'s and mine was as out of shape as yours. Since our DS's are filled with cork, cardboard etc they could not weld on new weights to rebalance. The shop they used offered to manufacture us NEW aftermarket alum. DS's. FYI when our new DS's show up they are going to take them back to the same shop and have them checked before install. If they check bad then they'll let them make us one. Also the factory rep said Ford is about to call out the original DS manufaturer and label them as a bad supplier. This will pave the way for a no cost aftermarket replacement ie Recall. Let us know what they do. Almost forgot even with a "bad" DS my vibe is almost non-existant now. I guess the re-index helped.

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
... Also the factory rep said Ford is about to call out the original DS manufaturer and label them as a bad supplier. This will pave the way for a no cost aftermarket replacement ie Recall. ...

VERY interesting.

Here's why I say that. I have a new DS installed. But the dealer called me and said they talked to the Field Service Tech and that they said to him that they were working on a solution to the problem (I assume in general) and for me not to bring the car
back in until they come up with something.

Sounded at first to me like stalling tactics bullsh!t, but that statement makes me wonder.

Not like any of it is relevent to me, since I havea new DS. Are you saying also that your replacement DS was out of balance?

I believe my tech said the new DS was perfectly balanced, but I'm not sure.

Stalker

Established Member
SoCalBlk03,

Thanks for looking out for me. I've been told that the new DS should arrive on Tuesday. So assuming that is bad, then maybe another week or two for them to make me a new DS? That will put me at about a month without my car. :( I am glad that you've got your car back and that it's close to being right. I'll keep you informed with what I hear.

mike69440

Established Member
To expdite a recall, call 1-800-392-FORD and complain.

To expdite a recall, call 1-800-392-FORD and complain.

According to Steve denby of SVT, this complaint process will get SVT to act on a problem mre quickly.

Thisa goes for any complaint.

Do not rely on your dealer to log in your complaint with Ford. not all dealer's follow this procedure!

Fred G

Established Member
Good Morning to the Group,

I called Ford customer assistance this morning and spoke to Melissa to log my complaint of the high-speed (80 MPH) vibe. The factory rep was able to eliminate the problem, but I have to say, I still have, and this is pretty weird, a 55-60 mph vibe for the first 3 or 4 miles of driving. It’s very similar to the old biased-belted flat spot vibe we used to have after taking out a car that’s been sitting for a while. This 55-60 MPH deal is gone after a few miles of driving and doesn’t come back until the car is parked for a few days, then taken out again. I'd find it hard to believe that the tires could cause this. I wonder if it has anything to do with whatever the driveshafts are filled with.

Mowgli

Established Member
I hate to say this but the Ford Customer Assistance line was of no use to me whatsoever, and they actually cheesed off my Dealer by calling them.

DO NOT call them until your car is already fixed like Fred G. They are a subcontractor unit with no power of their own to illicit action on your behalf, they are mainly there as an actuarial unit to compile complaints.

Alfasin

Established Member
Stalker,

Sorry to keep reiterating my experience, but don't be shocked if they can't fix the problem. After all, my car was in the shop for 34 days and I still have a vibration at 75mph and pulling to the right. Ford is absolutely clueless about this and those rare situations where they've removed the vibe is pure luck. Unfortunately, I don't have good luck otherwise I'd be enjoying my 03 Cobra. I only have 400 miles on mine as she's sitting in the garage collecting dust. When I drive it I get frustrated because the vibration is really annoying.

P.S. they made me a custom DS and it didn't help at all. They indexed it 5 times and balanced it twice, but the vibe is still there.

- Derik:cryying:

Last edited:

KingKobra

Established Member
I might get shit for saying this, but I cancelled my appointment to submit my car for it's VIBE.

First off, I don't drive +80, and if so, it's brief and not really that disturbing.

Secondly, I'm not willing to submit my car to a bunch of mechanics that don't even know where to start, and must resort to SVT anyway.

My thing is, SVT are the real experts and they are the source! They made the car, and I'm sure they have some models lying around with the problem, and I'd bet that they are troubleshooting it, trying to pinpoint a single cause, and maybe even have the cause, but are working on the best way to publicly address it's solution.

It's simply a matter of time before they find out the part/connection that is causing this problem, and they will issue bulletins for the dealers to follow.

In the meantime, I'm not letting any mechanic anywhere, toy around with my car, no way, no how.

Sorry to offend any mechanics!! Not intentional!

:rolleyes: Just going to wait....

Weasel

Established Member
KingKobra-

I'm with you ! Next time I take mine in for service I'll make them aware of the problem, but until they come up with a fix I don't want anyone doing experiments on my car.

Mike

docs03

Established Member
vibration

Well I"m taking my 03 vert back to the dealer today. When I picked up the car last week I was told the vibration had been corrected. My trans had bad bearings and the new DS was indexed. All fixed.....bulls***. The thing is no better!!

I will in in touch with SVT today and insist that a field rep come out and check the car. I will also log a formal complaint with SVT so they are aware of the issue. Not sure if this is going to help, but maybe if enough people call that are having the problems then SVT will do something about it. Wish me luck.................

I'll keep everyone posted.

doc

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I hope this problem is resolved before the second production run fires up. Unfortunately, neither Ford nor SVT will release any information about updates, modifications, or any fixes for problems that have arisen during the first production run. I was told that Ford will just make changes when they deem fit on the assembly line but won't release any information about these changes to the general public.

To Alfasin:
I have been following your unfortunate situation. It certainly appears as though you qualify to utilize the California lemon law to either get your money back or another car. Have you decided what avenue of remedy you will utilize against Ford? You may be spearheading this vibration problem against Ford for everyone as your problem appears to be ongoing for an unreasonably long length of time. I have been up against Ford and want you to know that I truly sypathize with your situation. Best of Luck.

mike69440

Established Member
Ford? What type of Corporate Citizen?

To Alfasin:

I am in the same boat as you, most likely with a milder vibration situation.

Is there anything I can do to help?

I am too much the optimist to think that Ford will not run and hide from taking responsibility without being dragged kicking and screaming to do right by their customers?

From the Exxon Valdez , Enron, The Firestone situation, Quest and Global Crossing to our minor problems, Corporate behavior needs a wake up call for their and the country's own good.

Ok, I'm off my soap box!

Mike

Stalker

Established Member
Here's an update: Just talked to service guy. They got the new DS in and it's got the same problem as the previous ones. Tranny side runouts are too big. So they are punting to Jim Green (the Ford engineer) to see how he wants to proceed. I should know more tomorrow. What options exist for an after market DS? Maybe Griggs or Saleen or something. Think I can talk them into going that route?

silvercoffin

Established Member
PULL TO RIGHT CONFIRMED

Well I thought I was imagining it after reading things here and on stangnet, but after about 2000 miles I tryed launching my car to get ready for my trip to etown and immediately afterwards thought it started pulling to the right. I went to the dealer today to get my leaking fog lamps replaced and the head mech went out for a test drive with me in my car and he said it is definetely pulling to the right.

SO GET THIS! I called SVT and talked to MAtt who tells me its the wide tires. I explained that the head mech at an SVT dealer drove it on a flat surface and it was pulling. Then Matt goes on to tell me that this isnt a car you can drive without both hands on the wheel, the tires will pull because they are so wide, not a car that you can put a cd in while your on the go....REAlly he said this BS.

I asked him if the pull to the right was a common problem and told him I had heard of many people experiencing it. HE SAID NO but then went on to say something about this car is going to be tough cause tires and blah blah blah blah WHAT THE FFFFF????

THIS IS FORDS TOP OF THE LINE AND THIS GUY IS TELLING ME MY CAR IS OK AND TELLING ME I SHOULD PUT UP WITH THIS?

The mech also said that he thought my clutch wasnt disengaging and thats why it has been tough to get it in 1st and rev. The Service manager says SVT told them not to do anything with the clutch or trans until 5000 MILES it needs that long to break in!

Next week is the alignment day. I'll keep everyone posted. I am going to call SVT immediately if the dealer decides to do anything other than a basic alignment on the car. AND I am going to go above Matt if this happens.

I'm not feeling as good about my car now as before but hopefully I am just overreacting and it will just be a simple alignment issue. The car seemed fine for the first 2000 miles. Drove to NJ to NC and back in it with no complaints it was incredible....except for leaking fog lights.

I might get a little vib around 80. Its more of a tire noise than anything else and I dont think I would have ever noticed it if I had not read about it here first. I might be imagining that thanks to this post hahahah

docs03

Established Member
SVT Rep involved

I went to the dealer to drop the car off and told them that I want a field rep to come and see the car. The assistant service director is handling getting the rep to the delaer. We had to leave a message today for the field rep. His name is Matt (forgot the last name) but I will be on top of this tomorrow. I should have a rep looking at the car wthin a few days.

Hopefully since I'm in the Detroit area a rep can be sent here quickly. I sure hope the have a fix for this vibration.......I still have faith that it will be taken care of. Maybe I'm stupid though.....

Interesting on the DS run outs being too large....quality control issue from supplier???I have had 3 drive shafts on my car.

I'll keep ya posted

doc

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmmmm

well Matt was the name of the guy I talked to on the phone when i called SVT....dont know if that would be the same Matt but he seemed to be telling me that I should just deal with my car pulling to the right even after I explained to him that the head Mech at a local SVT dealer says it is doing it. Hoping its just a simple alignment problem and easily fixed.

He said "this is not a car you drive with one hand on the wheel"

WHAT THE FFFFFF:gt:

Alfasin

Established Member
2003 Cobra/mike69440,

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Regarding my situation, it's now in the hands of the Dispute Settlement Board. I filed a case just over a month ago. They claim that my case will be heard on August 22 and that they weren't sure how things would go. If the results I get are unreasonable, I'll file a lawsuit against Ford and the dealership as the dealership has been a total joke in my opinion. I met a guy on this forum, who purchased his car from the same dealership. He said he would be willing to testify or formally document that he doesn't have vibration or pulling issues. I say this because Ford is trying to convince me I'm unreasonable and this issue is normal. If I can show the board and Ford that this is a complete line of crap, they might back down. My car only has 400 miles and it's nearly 2 months old now. I don't drive it because the vibration drives me nuts. I can't see out of my mirrors once I hit 75 mph. Also, if I take my hands off the wheel, the car pulls to the right very quickly. I'm trying to stay positive, but realize Ford will most likely make me fight them legally before I see any action. It's really sad that they can crap on their loyal customers like this. I'm 28 and have owned 5 new Ford vehicles. In fact, I've never owned a new car that wasn't a Ford. Sad huh?

- Derik

docs03

Established Member
SVT Field rep

I have an appointment Monday 8-12-02 at 8am for the SVT rep to look at the car.

Matt is the name of the field rep here in the detroit area. This is not the same moron that you spoke to silvercoffin LOL

Hopefully the situation cab ne resolved.

keep ya posted

ALFASIN: Did you ever have a field rep come out and look at the car?? Your dealership seems to be the one who is unreasonable. My dealer at least appears very concerned and is working with me.

doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread