Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

Established Member
Originally posted by LandShark
Vibe is finally gone, only have a slight vib above 95, but can even still use the rearview up above 110. It was a struggle, but the best path is to ask for a Ford engineer to look at the car. Actually, the dealership I took the car to in MI, Harold Zeigler in Plainwell, was very nice and worked with me to get the proper attention from Ford. They even drove the car above 80 mph to verify my description of the intensity of the vibration (something that is not approved by Ford and my local dealer in TN would not do).

In the end, I learned that there is a new driveshaft being designed which will fix the vib problem. Not sure of the availability, but I think it should be within the next 3 months. They replaced my DS for a second time and it fixed the problem. The explaination I was given was that the problem is due to the tolerance allowances on the DS and the IRS succeptibility (sp?) to vibration vs a fixed shaft rearend. The new design is supposed to tighten up the tolerances in manufacturing significantly.

Probably said too much here, but wanted to let all know that Ford is working on the problem and believe they have a solution in the works.

LS

It would be great if you could post when the "new" driveshaft becomes available and a part number.

Thanks,
Mike

LandShark

Established Member
I think I have a part number, it was handwritten on some docs from the dealer. 2R3J-4602-AA

Hope this helps.

LS

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I would like to know the procedure with the EVA and doing the test on the lift. So that I can get the tech to do it this way I bet allot easier to find vibe like this.

I had to drive the tech to a smooth road 15 miles away so he could see how bad it got. the roads around the dealer are so bad they couldnt see the vib nor could the EVA catch it till it was on a smooth road, the Frequency was being cancled out.

Testing on the lift is the ticket by the sounds of it Landshark

LandShark

Established Member
we tested on the road (a smooth asphault one) and on a dyno setup. The dyno setup is easier for the "high" speed tests, as you dont worry about the man. Still have a little vib above 125, but dont get there often enough to worry about it.

LS

vipergts281

Established Member
AT 80 mph and above, you cannot see out of the rear view mirror because it is vibrating so bad. And it is not the tires since this is the second set I've had on the car.

What do you guys think.....is it the driveshaft?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
No it is not a driveshaft if the vibration is slightly present in in neutral. This vibration is caused by out-of-balance half axles. I'm heading back in...again. Comes and goes with different temperatures, and I know for a fact it's not the tires. A while back I had everything fixed. Smooth as silk. Then one time I launched a little hard and managed to get wheel hop a little. After that the vibration returned.

These half axles are 100% crap and can cause vibrations as low as 45 MPH.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
What does my vibe sound like? It started at 10,000 miles, and the tires were pretty worn, I just got a set of DSG3's and the vibe is less noticable but still there. I think it's just the tires. How do you balance a tire at 2mph and then run it at 100 and expect it to be perfect. Do they make better machines to balance at a higher speed for more accurate balancing.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
my car vibes at 80mph. It is not the wheels. I have a different set of wheels and tires I put on for the winter and the vibe was identical (in sound, feel, uselessness of rearview mirror) with the winter wheels/tires as it was to the summer wheels/tires.
I had the dealer replace the drive shaft last week. Vibe is now a little better, but still present. It's going in again to the dealer, and will keep going in, until they eliminate it.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Mine only vibrates above 80 when its hot and humid out, very strange, and its not even all the time then. Most of the time, its as smooth as glass.

1/2 bent

Established Member
I have had it since day one. Very slight vibration from 70-80. The car now has 7k on it.

SA SNAKE

Established Member
Had the vibe then got a new drive shaft and it took 90% away. Dealer then replaced the rearend, and all is good now.

Gilbert

svtxchinoy

Established Member
I get vibe once in a blue moon. Usually runs pretty smooth, so don't think I'll be bothering with a new shaft just yet.

wjfawb0

Established Member
My 5th gear in my tranny is really rough. It kinda shakes the car when I shift into it at 120-130mph and accelerate. The rest of the gears are fairly smooth. No vibes I guess. :)

lebeljd

Established Member
I have a new 04 (just picked up from the dealer on 7/3/2004), and it has a vibration that starts just below 80. It's bad enough that the inside rear view mirror shakes so much you can barely see out of it and the outside driver's side mirror shakes a little too. Ran it up to 100 today and the vibration almost completely stopped. I'm calling tomorrow and scheduling a visit to the dealership for service.

Coiled03

Established Member
I've got the vibe, and the dealer just ordered me an '04 driveshaft. Should be in next week. I can post up results if anyone is interested.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
Originally posted by Coiled03
I've got the vibe, and the dealer just ordered me an '04 driveshaft. Should be in next week. I can post up results if anyone is interested.
Please do post your results.

Coiled03

Established Member
Well, I just got the car back today with the new driveshaft, and the vibe is certainly reduced, although I can't say for sure that it's gone entirely. I'd certainly suggest going with an '04 driveshaft, though. It can't hurt, and it seemed to help me a good deal.

vipergts281

Established Member
I had my driveshaft replaced last week. Didn't help at all. Infact, it seems like the shutter noise is now at 80 mph along with the original noise at 40 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread