Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike69440

Established Member
3Rd driveshaft, and it is pretty smooth.

Vibration is a thing of past.

Thank you certain person at SVT. Without you I really got the run around.

Ford had a quality problem with runnout resulting in dtnamic deflection and unbalance.

It was a manufacturing problem.

Mike 69440

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by T3 Cobra
Silvercoffin why did you go with nittos instead of the bfg's? I just saw-touched the bfg's out at Sema and they have a distinct feel that tells me hook city

My dad went from BFG's to the 555R nittos in the rear on his GN... Differences in traction like no other. :)

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
No vibe here all the way to 130mph so far but the damn orange peel over the entire drivers door sucks.

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :shrug:

Not worth the pain to get it fixed though...I can't part with the car for that long :coolman: :coolman:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have 6000 + miles on my sonic blue coupe and no vibration problems that I can detect, in fact its one of the smoothest cars I've driven. I did have one issue with a kind of crackling sound comming from the rear window area. It had us all baffled for a while, then after several atempts the problem was solved. It was majorly anoying till we found the problem. I won't take up the space for all the particulars here unless someone is interested or having the same problem. If so pm me and I'll give you the whole story.
Thanks, Ray H

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Mine had the vibe at around 80 MPH, my rear view mirror was useless. I ran my brother with his Kawasaki 1200 up to 160 MPH a few times one day - next thing I know - no vibe anymore! :thumbsup:

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
No vibe. The only problem with my car is "The Tick"!:cuss:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Mine had the vibe at around 80 MPH, my rear view mirror was useless. I ran my brother with his Kawasaki 1200 up to 160 MPH a few times one day - next thing I know - no vibe anymore! :thumbsup:

Gotta break the thing in bro. Wants to go fast... 80mph isnt good enough! It wants MORE! Once it gets its fill it settles down. hehe :thumbsup:

rallen

SVT Poster
Established Member
I've had the vibration since day one. I thought it was normal at first, but had it worked on since.

My question is: Like a lot of you, replacing the driveshaft fixed about 80% of the problem, but still have rumble starting at 70MPH, noticable at 80 stays steady until I let off or push in the clutch. Seems to only do it in 6th gear.

Read all the post, but unclear on what steps I should be taking to get rid of the rest of the problem? Indexing? Keep replacing the driveshaft til I get a good one?

Dealer is good and looking to get it resolved, so I'm trying to help them.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Same here, had a driveshaft and two rear ends replaced. Now I have it when decelerating from a high RPM while in gear, goes away when I clutch in or put it in neutral.

Im sure its the driveshaft this time, if their next relpacement doesnt do it, Im gonna buy a carbon fiber one

realsmith

Wally World or Bust
Established Member
I've driven 6 '03 Cobras and none had any significant vibration issues. One had what seemed like a u-joint problem. Mine is perfect so far with 300 miles.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
had the vibe at 85 and up.
Dealer replaced IRS and Driveshaft no more high speed vibe.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
MIne starts to vibrate at 80, it causes the rear view to start to jump around some. It isn't so bad though that I am rushing to take it in, especially since all my interstate trips are in the Lightning. I may try and take care of it on my own, I don't think it could be that bad to take care of.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by realsmith
I've driven 6 '03 Cobras and none had any significant vibration issues. One had what seemed like a u-joint problem. Mine is perfect so far with 300 miles.

My vibe at 80 pretty much exactly mimics what I experienced on my 87' when the rear u-joint of the DS was nearly siezed. It would viberate worse under load and almost but not quite stop when I let off. I could also hear it really more than feel it. That is unless I looked in the rear view.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Originally posted by Got Incon?
MIne starts to vibrate at 80, it causes the rear view to start to jump around some. It isn't so bad though that I am rushing to take it in, especially since all my interstate trips are in the Lightning. I may try and take care of it on my own, I don't think it could be that bad to take care of.

Exacttly what mine is doing. I did not rush in to have it fixed, I waited till I had a list of things for them to work on while they ordered parts. I should have it back soon with a new driveshaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread