Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

david smilovic

Established Member
I vibrate hardly feel it,but in my rr. view mirrror you cant tell an SUV from a Porsche it vibrates so bad,they balanced tires will report back,Dave S.

Mowgli

Established Member
david smilovic, did you get the new DS installed? Or is this your first vibe visit to the dealer? I understand they have to attack "all the usual suspects" before Ford will authorize a DS swap.
But that all can usually be done in one trip. They then order the new DS, you take the car home while you wait on the part (no need to leave it there), they call you when the DS comes in, you take it in, and then 1/2 day later you take it home.

At least thats how its supposed to work. ;-)

Last edited:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by Mowgli
david smilovic, did you get the new DS installed? Or is this your first vibe visit to the dealer? I understand they have to attack "all the usual suspects" before Ford will authorize a DS swap.
But that all can usually be done in one trip. They then order the new DS, you take the car home while you wait on the part (no need to leave it there), they call you when the DS comes in, you take it in, and then 1/2 day later you take it home.

At least thats how its supposed to work. ;-)

Yes, but you did not mention that as SOON AS YOU GET THERE, HAVE THE SERVICE REP. CALL 1800FORDSVT!!!!!

The gents there will immediately tell the service rep. what to do.

Good luck
Chris
:beer:

Mowgli

Established Member
True. good advice.

Oh, and bring a bribe, in the form of food or a beer.

Mowgli

Established Member
No the only thing affecting the side mirrors was loud music and road bumps. Ergo, percussive impulses. They never vibrated with the road noise or "THE vibration".

For me, the rpm when the car was vibrating didn't matter. Also, whether the clutch was even engaged or not did not matter. In or out of gear, 4th, 5th, or 6th gear, cruise power or drifting down, the vibe was there. It was a function of the speed of the car, not the engine rpm.

Also, I had no clutch pedal or steering wheel or shifter handle vibe.

You could best feel the vibe by placing your fingers up on the ceiling just behind the mirror, where the windshield meets the roofline (there's a mesh or net there for holding sunglasses, etc). Right there you could feel the vibe in the chassis clearly.

Hope this helps. I and others have long descriptions of the behavior on other threads here and on StangNet.

As for "post fix": I wrung the crap out of it last night: all gears, all speeds (up to 100+). Sustained 80mph cruise in top three gears, etc. No vibe anywhere. Windows up, windows down, and I was listening and feeling for it.

I didn't particularly pay attention to RPM, but I suppose you could work out the RPMs if you needed to.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by ArkangelX3
Some vibration under heavy acceleration, but after coming to speed.Vibe disappears

Thats normal. Every T56 car I've rode in does that. Ergo - Camaros, Corvettes, other Cobras.

Thats more a function of the nature of the car's power, not a drivetrain issue per say. I bet its not really even a T56 thing. I'd be willing to bet Vipers also transmit some body "english" when you're getting on the happy pedal.

silvercoffin

Established Member
Yes, but you did not mention that as SOON AS YOU GET THERE, HAVE THE SERVICE REP. CALL 1800FORDSVT!!!!!

Thats interesting. I have called that number and got conflicting info, about everything. Will NEVER buy another new car from ford.

I am quite sure that the 1-800-ford-svt number is not the number the dealer calls at all. There is a separate tech line that only the dealer can call and get info from. The 1-800-BS line is just a PR line to try and explain away all the F ups Ford is making on this car. They don't know anything or just dont tell...and just try to tell you what you want to hear.

I had Jesse tell me about the DS replacement a month or so ago, but called again and talked to someone else who said it probably isnt that. I dont really care about that mine is very subtle. Its the alignment problem I still have and shifting problem that I am mad about and that I am now getting fixed on my own. It was either that or get a lawyer and I dont have the time,desire nor do want to waste anymore money on my Ford experience than I already am replacing the clutch and trying to figure out the alignment problem that the dealer fixed but now my steering wheel moves up and down at 85or 90+...Thats ok though cause they cant test drive it that fast so thats exceptable....sorry im venting so pissed at ford....

i8u

Established Member
New driveshaft fixed my 80 mph vibe! I noticed a vibe from 110 to 135 though. Too much RFV in the left front tire! :shrug:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
New driveshaft fixed my 80 mph vibe! I noticed a vibe from 110 to 135 though. Too much RFV in the left front tire! :shrug:
That's great that you got it fixed at 80! I've only been up to about 106 and luckily I didn't notice any vibe there on mine! Keeping my fingers crossed!:thumbsup:

silvercoffin

Established Member
update

Ive got a new clutch in and my car is shifting better than it ever has. I didnt realize how much all the gears were effected from the stock clutchtrouble I had while that may have been from my own stupidity......also strut tower bar reinstalled since dealer redrilled camber plates and KB caster camber plates which are supposed to give the tech enough play to get the alignment right in the heart of specs rather than just within. Hopefully this will fix the pull always to right. Even after they redrilled the plates it felt the same. The dealer claimed it was fixed!

Also hoping I can do away with the steering wheel shake that started 90mph+ since the redrill. Everyone Ive talked to says thats not alignment, but it started after the dealer redrilled. The dealer refuses to do anything about it because they cant test dirve it that fast.:bash: FORD

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Well, I got back from vacation and the old lady said the 03 was stalled out on her - so i figured it was time to take her in and let them know I have "the vibe". They told me that yes, SVT has had numerous reports from customers on "the vibe" and that no TSB has been issued to correct this as of yet.... HOWEVER, on my reciept I noticed that the service tech indexed the driveshaft.

Whoo Hoooo - no more vibe! :D

I test drove the car to 95 just a few minutes ago (too much traffic on the interstate to go any faster) and I din't feel anything. No prop drone, no mirror shake, not even the first hint of any vibration. This is too cool - I pretty pumped that this problem seems to be a thing of the past.

Nothing was done for the stalling thing... but that's for another thread ;-)

Mark.....

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
I noticed a slight vibe during decceleration from 100 to about 85, but nothing like "can't see cars in the rear view", etc. I'm not quite sure if I have the same problem or not. I only have 200 miles on the car. I don't wanna push it to high RPM and see if I get more vibe, yet. Did anyone experience more vibe in high RPM, say on 4th compared to 5th and 6th? Maybe I should have the dealer change the DS anyway.

mike69440

Established Member
You have a mild case.

gchronis

That is the vibration, It is too high a frequency to be the tires.

I am bringing my car in tommorow for a new shaft.

I will keep everyone posted.

Mike W.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Me too....

I have the vibration. You can watch the rear view mirror shake itself nuts. Then put in the clutch and coast with the throttle at idle and it goes away immediately.

I scheduled an appointment for Monday.

By the way my build date is 08/02, so even second run cars are having this problem.

Last edited:

Elliotness

Established Member
Re: Me too....

Originally posted by slythetove
I have the vibration. You can watch the rear view mirror shake itself nuts. Then put in the clutch and coast with the throttle at idle and it goes away immediately.

I scheduled an appointment for Monday.

By the way my build date is 08/02, so even second run cars are having this problem.

OK I thought I was alone. My car is also a second run car. I have a very mild vibration @ 80 mph. I would not catagorize the vibe as a "serious problem." As I accelerate to 80 at about 75 I hear a droning noise, then near 80 I get slight vibration. I noticed on the way home on the freeway. I had a drink (water) in the cup holder. Hit 80 and noticed the water was shaking:shrug:

I took the car in and the tech ordered the DS.

mike69440

Established Member
What else can I say!

This is the latest response from the service manager!

Translation, (Get Lost)

Mike, first off I am glad to hear that the vibration has
been taken care of. Unfortunately we are unable to proceed
any further on the buzz. the vehicle is operating within
the design parameters. We are unable to isolate noise
emanating at those speeds. if we can be of any further
assist on any other concerns you may have please contact
us.
Thank you,
John Cater
On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:36:45 -0400
"mike69440" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>I gave it a week to get a better feel for how the new
>driveshaft is performing.
>
>The good news is the vibration is not present over 90 MPH
>or so. Very smooth now, even at 115 mph, The old
>driveshaft would sing at those speeds.
>
>The bad news is I still have a noticeable buzz from about
>78 mph to 90 MPH, especially on coast down. It even
>buzzes the dash a bit and you can feel it in the seat and
>rear view mirror. I never owned a vehicle, including my
>3/4 1970 GMC camper special P/U that had a driveshaft
>vibration at these speeds or any other, except for my
>Dodge that developed a bad tailshaft bearing. My 1992
>Crown Vic with aluminum drivshaft is fine, even thought
>it does not have a vibration dampener bolted to the rear
>pumpkin! What gives? This should not be what you get
>with Ford's highest performance vehicle.
>
>Just to verify it is the driveshaft and not some other
>resonance, I temporarily removed the dampener weight,
>road tested, and the vibe inscreased some.
>
>Is there still a problem with the driveshaft manufacture?
> What will you do about this?
>Please get in touch.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike Witzgall

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
Well I finally (three visits to dealer, take dealer for drive etc). had my drive shaft replaced today So far Iv'e only been able to have a short run but at 80 to 100 it does seem to be improved by about 70-80%. I need to have better run but I believe the new drive shaft has made a major improvement.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
vibration ?

Disclaimer: New guy here, pardon the lack of knowledge on this subject.
The characteristics of the infamous drive shaft vibration are looking in your rearview mirror and seeing the car's behind you appear blurry?

Also, when I put my garage remote in the pocket over the mirror, it vibrates like hell. I assume I've got the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Yes, sounds like you have it. Good news is, SVT is well aware of it by now, and they have a replacement part they will send out immediately to any dealer that calls them. The hard part is convincing your dealer to call them. When did you get your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread