Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Thanks for the update, got it Friday, just turned over 300 miles. I'll have to give them a call.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Dealer replaced my driveshaft. Didn't fix it.

Guess I'll have to wait for a TSB....

:(

mike69440

Established Member
Ford denying a vibration problem is going to come back and bit them!

It is really sad the state of Ford Mustang Quality in some areas ( like the IRS/Driveshaft vibration) but what is worse is the quality of warrantee service on these somewhat specialized vehicles.
Pity Ford could not get it right agfain on a car with so much potential.

Dealers wo want nothing to do with you unless they are sure Ford is picking up the bill and are not capable of giveing the service avaialble from non Ford shops. There are a few good dealers, if you find one keep them and spread the good news.

Why are some people still getting a denial from SVT?

Right now I am in process of trial and error fine tuning the drive shaft vibration with a 3-1/2 dryer vent clamp and trial and error.

It is amazing the driveshaft is so sensitive! This is on my "fixed" replacement shaft. PITA but better than dealing with unco-opertive Dealer.

Glad to hear that some guys have your problem taken care of!

Mike69440

sapper

Established Member
On the vibe issue.
I took in my car to Rich Ford here in Albuquerque.
They did the checks that Ford requires. First balance and alignment. Second DS indexing. Third replaced DS. The dealer called and told me that the vibe is still there. Now they are going to replace the rear axle. This dealer was a little slow on the get go (needed to take the tech for a drive for them to notice it), but at least they are not giving up. They have been working on my vibe issue for a week now. I hope the new rear axle takes care of the problem.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
I have my ZYellow Cobra on order, and my dealer is still trying to look for a Torch Red in the meantime but with all of these negative issues thats been attached to these cars i changing my mind. Even if he finds a Red, those r all from the 1st run and i assume no one thats bought a Red has been trouble free. I think ill just call it off comepletely and buy something else. ~sighs~

Honest Mike

Established Member
I agree with you. Right now i have a 97 Camaro SS, that i have owned for 4 and a 1/2 years without any kind of trouble whatsoever and i love it. I did however, seriously consider getting rid of it for an 01 Lightning, but after reading the message boards of intercooler leaks, front lower control arm bolt causing clunking, water in lights, plugs blowing out of heads, driverseat wearing out within months to name a few, i got seriously turned off. I love the looks and performance of the truck, but i cant give up something i have no problems with to buy something with known problems. Which brings me to the 2003 Cobra. I like the looks of the car alot, and love the performance, and was really looking forward to checking it out once they became available, but after finding this particular message board and reading about so many problems, its just a turn off to me. Not flaming the 03 owners, i like the car alot, but not enough to take a shot in winding up with a good one or a bad one. Just too much money to spend, in my oppinion, and not be 100% satisfied. If they get the vibe, pull to the right and tick all fixed for next year, and its a for sure fix, id get one definitely. Ill keep waiting and see. Like i said im happy with my car but it would be nice to trade up to something new and faster but still have no problems. Mike

TPOC

Established Member
D/S replaced, vibe gone!

Pull is gone!

Finally, I can enjoy my car now, let the mod'ing continue!

mike69440

Established Member
Wish I had done it this way.

1. Bought from a dealer who was perfomance and customer satisfaction oriented.

2. Drove the car for 50 miles prior to signing.

Cobra is a nice car with some quality problems. SVT tried hard to get it right, they just had a lot of Ford Legacy stuff that was out of their control. Remember it's cousin was a 78 Fairmont.

My advice, check the car out, Drive it, really drive it, then if happy buy it.

Mike69440

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Veeerrrryyy minor vibe if I let off gas completely and coast at anything over 105 or so. Not getting worse so I'll just let it be.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Vibe at 115 hmm? Look like I'll have to try it out at Angeles Crest Highway sometime soon. Before the subframes come in...

Elliotness

Established Member
Just my $.02

I had a slight vibe... Took it to the dealer where the dealership without delay ordered a new DS.

CAR is AWESOME!!!! I read the boards and saw all the negative posts about Ford Quality ETC etc... All I have to say is my car was worth every bit of time it took to get it right. Essentially two trips to the dealership and half a day of time. BIG WHOOP!!!!

If you like the car buy it. You will be very, very happy:beer: .

OH i forgot to say, My car has "THE PULL" now. Yeah, it pulls in front of everything that pulls up next to me. :coolman:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Elliotness
Just my $.02

I had a slight vibe... Took it to the dealer where the dealership without delay ordered a new DS.

CAR is AWESOME!!!! I read the boards and saw all the negative posts about Ford Quality ETC etc... All I have to say is my car was worth every bit of time it took to get it right. Essentially two trips to the dealership and half a day of time. BIG WHOOP!!!!

If you like the car buy it. You will be very, very happy:beer: .

OH i forgot to say, My car has "THE PULL" now. Yeah, it pulls in front of everything that pulls up next to me. :coolman:

Exactly my sentiments! Even though I never experience the vib to-date the car is just awesome!!! I also have the 11sec "PULL" see sig

:burnout:

:burnout:

:thumbsup:

silvercoffin

Established Member
yeah

well I love the car too but wasnt fortunete enough to have one with no problems, so I understand these posts.

everything is finally fixed but not without five days at the local dealer and damage that somes with it. Scratches on wheels scraches on engine bay...chrome yellow touch up paint uhhhh so while I love the car, it sucks to have problems. and there are problems whether you have them or not.

I dont think the problems are just 03 cobra specific however. I believe its just Ford quality and incompetent dealer service.

My latest was a bad steering wheel vib at 100mph. Turned out to be three defective wheels. I put new tires on with my own $$$ and now everythings great. Local dealer wouldnt even look at it cause they cant test drive it that fast. yet ford advertises the car as capable of 155mph and more.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Re: yeah

Originally posted by silvercoffin
well I love the car too but wasnt fortunete enough to have one with no problems, so I understand these posts.

everything is finally fixed but not without five days at the local dealer and damage that somes with it. Scratches on wheels scraches on engine bay...chrome yellow touch up paint uhhhh so while I love the car, it sucks to have problems. and there are problems whether you have them or not.

I dont think the problems are just 03 cobra specific however. I believe its just Ford quality and incompetent dealer service.

My latest was a bad steering wheel vib at 100mph. Turned out to be three defective wheels. I put new tires on with my own $$$ and now everythings great. Local dealer wouldnt even look at it cause they cant test drive it that fast. yet ford advertises the car as capable of 155mph and more.

I know and feel for you. Even though my 03 has been basically trouble free except for that damn "tick" :mj: I had the 2001 Cobra for 3 months before the 03 was announced and all I had was problems ..... slight engine knock, electrical would just turn off?, brake pull to right, some vibration at 70, heavy dirt in paint almost 40 distinct spots and on and on and on .......:mj: :gt:

blucobra03

Established Member
I believe no matter what car or dealer you have or are working through, there are always those that excel and those that simply don't cut the mustard. I happen to think the 03 Cobra's are an awesome car for the dollar. Mind you mine has both the vibe and the pull. Other than those two things, it's perfect. I took it to the dealership Friday morning and dropped it off. The dealer had a rental car all ready for me and had called me by Friday afternoon to advise me that they were ordering the new driveshaft. If that doesn't work, the rear axles get changed out. To date these guys have been very professional and knowledgeable. For the record, the dealer is Tropical Ford in Orlando, FL. They were also the only ones in a 100 mile radius that would sell me the car for MSRP. I have been extremely satisfied with their entire dealership. Also, let me tell you I'm not an easy person to satisfy. I've bought over 40 new cars and had the opportunity to deal with the whole range of people in this business. So I can say from experience that Ford isn't the only car manufacturer with problems. Unfortunately, it's not even just the car industry that basicaaly sucks root these days. Look around. Everywhere you go, you have to get things done two or three times to get it right. And then, you have to fight every step of the process. Very few companies will provide a product that is 100% perfect. Then you have the service or should I say lack of service wherever you go. And when you say something to them about it, they look like you are out of your friggin mind to actually want them to do what they are getting paid for. I could go on but suffice it to say that Ford and specifically the Cobra are as good as any of them and better than most. As long as they treat me right and take care of any concerns I have, I'm OK with it. The icing on the cake is the kick in the pants whenever you open her up. How can you not love that. :beer:

silvercoffin

Established Member
the pull

by the way if your car is pulling make sure the dealer aligns the rear as well as the front end. Mine needed to have the camber plates redrilled but then the dealer didnt align the rear which turned out to be way off.

Funny thing was when I told Chris Winter of Crazyhorse Racing how I had a pull and many people did and dealers couldnt always fix it, he said they probably arent aligning the rear. He was right.

well the good news is my car is 100% now. no more steering wheel vib at 90-100mph and it drives straight as an arrow. Also have my Nittos DRs on the back and ZRs on the front so I am looking forward to hopefully some very good runs at the track now.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Silvercoffin why did you go with nittos instead of the bfg's? I just saw-touched the bfg's out at Sema and they have a distinct feel that tells me hook city

SVT606

Established Member
Cobra is a nice car with some quality problems. SVT tried hard to get it right, they just had a lot of Ford Legacy stuff that was out of their control. Remember it's cousin was a 78 Fairmont.

Mike...could you possibly elaborate on this a bit more? I am considering purchasing an 03 but am a bit hesitant after reading this board and seeing the many minor problems people are having with their car. Would like to know what you mean by "quality problems?" Thanks.

mike69440

Established Member
Mustangs and Faimonts

SVT606

SVT guys are dedicated car guys. The Mustang is based on an economy car chassis. It has been tweaked a lot. The new generation coupes are stiffer bodies, but still ancient design.

Realistically look what SVT is starting with. Go look at a base Mustang. It is not a PAG (Premier Auto Group) product by any means. You have to live with it. If you want different, better look at a BMW, etc.

The Dearborn plant where the Mustang was made should be a national historic landmark. The level of assembly and parts just can't be Honda quality. Maybe the new Little Rock plant will be.

Look how nice the F-150's are screwed together.

A lot of interior .exterior pieces not exclusive to the Cobra are cheap.

The money and effort went into the rest of the car. The car rides and handles better than it has a right too. There are some quality issues. If you have a good dealer support, it will get fixed.

Bang for buck, the Cobra is quite a car. My advice, for what it is worth, if you want the car, go for it. Just make sure you get to drive it,, really drive it before you sign for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread