Yet another Z06 Encounter

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
OK - here's the story.......

Last week I was driving the wife to her appointment at the doctors, and I spy what is unmistakeably the front of a new model Corvette in my rear-view. So I decided to go a little slower then normal to allow Mr. Vette a chance to catch up - which he did. Too bad that about at that same time, we came up on traffic and couldn't play. I generally don't like to do a lot of weaving in-and-out of traffic just to get a few spots ahead, but Mr Vette had no quams about that - and it was at about this time I see the Z06 emblems as well as a window sticker containing the new car registration papers (he did have his tags though - so I guess the car was still fairly new, but old enough to have had it's break-in period). Moving on... I followed him a few cars back through town. Then he get's caught at a light and I lineup behind Mr. Vette (there were some other slow POS in the other lane) and I follow him as the light turns green. Then Mr Vette kinda started accelerating quickly - obvious to me that he was game..... time to make sure that the traction control was OFF :-D .

Next light... we line up side by side - light turns green and it's on baby. I got the jump at the light and pulled him about 1/2 car, and held it through 1st and 2nd - by that time we were rapidly approaching the onramp for the interstate - and you don't know how happy I was to see him behind me as we were on the ramp. I had to get off on the next exit so I stayed in the right lane... he paced me for awhile, then eventually passed me on the left. Looked over - and saw the guy with a big grin on his face and sporting a thumbs up :thumbsup: . I did the same, and then we both when on our separate ways.

I call this as I see it - a draw... he stayed right off my door until we had to shut down, which just tickled the ever-living-piss out of me. Hanging with a Z06, in what basically was a stock 03 Cobra, who would have thunk it. I LOVE IT!!!! :burnout:

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Pleasanton, CA.... Bernal to 680 North.

I don't really consider it a kill - I always say you gotta go through 3 gears before it's a real race ;-) . But I did red line the tach in second - too bad there just wasn't enough road for a longer run.

The wife was loving it too - she's a keeper :-D .

Shinobi'sZ

Sounds like a bad Z06 driver to me. I have seen stock Z06s run 11.7 on in stock configuration. What do Stock Cobra's run? No flame just curious.

Pyro

Established Member
I know exactly where that is! Good run. When I went to my home town (Danville) last month, I didn't see many 03 Cobra out and about. Where were they all hiding???

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by Shinobi'sZ
Sounds like a bad Z06 driver to me. I have seen stock Z06s run 11.7 on in stock configuration. What do Stock Cobra's run? No flame just curious.
I've seen that stock for a Z06, if you mean stock with ET streets or Drag Radials.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
I've seen that stock for a Z06, if you mean stock with ET streets or Drag Radials.
Dan, you didn't know zo6's come stock with ET Streets? They also come stock with intake upgrades too.:-D

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Nice kill! I know exactly where that is. My g/f lives in the bay area so I travel from so cal a couple times a month. We always stay in pleasanton or close to that area. Alot of rich folk live there, I'll bet you see alot of Z06's.

95_LT1_Z

Established Member
so you get the jump and go through two gears and now everyone is calling that a kill? jus wondering if i got the storie straight.

good.....kill:shrug:

coopz06

Established Member
I agree, too many people think stock is ET Streets, minor exhaust upgrades and new intake. My z is stock from the dealer, only modification is the window sticker has been removed and put in the glove box. I run 12.4x at the track all the time, and I'm tired of people diluting the definitiion of stock. What will a stock 03 cobra do in the quarter?

lovemycobra

Established Member
good run..but believe me, you beat the driver, not the car. Stock for stock, the Z06 is about 1.5 cars ahead of us. Nice run.

Users who are viewing this thread