You Think English is Easy?

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
hamburger is a German word isnt it?

Hamburg is actually a town in Germany. Hamburger the word (like the meat patty) was called this due to the production of ground spare meat parts in "Hamburg" germany.

Pretty much a homage to it's origin, as far as the technique of ground meat at least. Although the first "hamburger" is believed to have been American.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
English is all the fun of Latin based languages with some Germanic roots added for a bonus, topped with a bunch of 19th-Century grammar Nazis who decided we shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition or split an infinitive because they couldn't do it in some other language. Wee.

Italian, French, and Spanish is where it's at if you want to keep it simple.

Latin is in fact the basis for most languages, including Italian, French and Spanish.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Latin is in fact the basis for most languages, including Italian, French and Spanish.

I am aware. My point was that although Latin may be difficult in its own right, English has compounded the problem significantly.

Rules compiled in a pure Latin-based language are usually logical (as long as you can accept that a dog is inherently masculine or that a table is feminine). Pronounciation, grammar, and spelling in English are often decidedly illogical.

earl lee

Established Member
FYI, English is the hardest language to learn if it is not your native language for the above reasons.

We literally have so many words that are spelled the same but can have different meanings depending on the context there used in and also another reason that shows how difficult English is the fact that majority of Americans don't use correct English in their daily lives.

bone stock

Established Member
Have you ever tried to learn how to conjugate an irregular verb in Spanish? :bash:

musclefan21

Established Member
I learned it pretty quick but had to learn it all over again when I first arrived to the us. slang alone is another language here...

oldmodman

Established Member
English was easy. I learned it before 1st grade.

I have found it impossible to learn spoken Japanese, let alone Kanji. It's impossible to properly appreciate Hentai with subtitles.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Have you ever tried to learn how to conjugate an irregular verb in Spanish? :bash:

Yes, it's a walk in the park compared to some of the verb conjugations in English. For example, the verb "to be." I am, I was, I will be, I have been, you are, you were, he is, he was...makes sense huh? :nonono: Spanish is simple.

Users who are viewing this thread