Your hunting methods

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Yeah man I have seen a HUGE Buck from the tower, hope you get him. On the Air Station on your way to the Control tower in the opening to the right by the O' club check there

Blackness03

Established Member
i do all my hunting from a climbing stand. i don like to stay in on place too long. 2-3 days max. the deer can pattern you. what i like to do is in the summer when they first start growing their racks is ride around the fields and look for big deer. once i spot one i want, ill go in the next day or so in the middle of the day and put corn out. if you have a camera thats a plus. that can tell you what time the deer are coming in there and how late in the night they are staying. meaning if they are feeding at 5am its not a morning spot unless you get closer to the bedding area. once you got him coming in there, slip in there one afternoon or morning from DOWNWIND of where hes coming from and DONT set your stand up the day before you plan to hunt. this is a good early season thing i like to do.

about mid octorber to RIGHT NOW.. start scouting. get some rubber boots to help keep your scent down and walk walk walk. look for rubs and scrapes. dont know how it is up there but here what i do is find a nice sized rub and look for a pattarn. you will notice a line of trees where he has rubed on trees. the side of the tree the rub is on is the way hes coming from. if you see scrapes just remember 80% of scrapes are made at night, and you need to get closer to his bed. after a hard rain is a good day to hunt over scrapes because he will be coming out early to keep them fresh. so pretty much just hunt where you see sign, stay downwind.

once the rut kicks in. HUNT THE DOES. whereever theres food and does. hunt there. if you can find any kind of funnels that force the deer to stay in a tight area hunt in there (woodline between 2 fields). you never know what will happen during the rut. the big bucks are always walking around and keep no pattern. best thing to do is figure out where they are coming from and where they are eating and set up about halfway between.

after the rut, ive found the deer get alot harder to hunt. they move more at night but putting some corn out right next to the bedding area seems to work pretty good.

when your scouting just start by walking a fence line. deer will take the easiest route...look for a low spot in a fence and see if they have been crossing there (youll prob see hair on the wire) you could always just sit up on the downwind side of the trail leading up to the fence. that would be a great start.

go on www.hunting.net and look around. you can learn alot on here about all kinds of hunting

Tommy

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Yeah man I have seen a HUGE Buck from the tower, hope you get him. On the Air Station on your way to the Control tower in the opening to the right by the O' club check there

Do you happen to know which hunting area that's in? We tried Area 1 last Saturday and got skunked. I think the areas where they have the food plots set-up is where they're at.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Sorry OP but this is a loaded question and would take 3 or 4 pages to answer correctly. So here's cliff notes on deer hunting.

Find a trail or natural food source.

Find a couple of spots to sit.

Then go hunt and stay on the "downwind" side of it so they can't smell you.

Don't move much or make many noises. Remember if anything sees you it can alarm everything in your area. Blue Jays all the way to pesky Squirrels.

Make sure you have a clear shot when you attempt one. Not through any brush because I don't even believe in a "brush" gun. If something is in the way don't shoot!

Allways wear your Hunter ORANGE!

Oh and don't take that safety off until you are 100% sure of what you're aiming at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stangin99

Established Member
Think about it like this, it the sides were flipped and a deer was hunting you, what would he have to do for you to not see him?

\Deer

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
i dont get hardcore into. i LOVE hunting, just not into the deer piss on my boots, rubbing antlers stuff. i get out early in the morning, find me a good spot, and hope i see one.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
i dont get hardcore into. i LOVE hunting, just not into the deer piss on my boots, rubbing antlers stuff. i get out early in the morning, find me a good spot, and hope i see one.

I wish I lived in TX. It would be mad easy for me too.....:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread