Z06: 0-60 in 3.7, first gear = Time to MOD :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Since when did people start trying to put these cars in the same category? The 03/04 Cobra wasn't in the same category as the old Z06, and the Shelby shouldn't be grouped with the new Z06. Just because they put out similar HP numbers doesn't automatically make them competators.

I think it's great the Terminators could run down some of the vettes on the street, but I consider that a bonus. It's like beating a bike in your car, nobody really expects it, but it's cool if you can do it. The same will be true for the Shelby. If you mod it and take out a new Z06 in a straight line, cool! In one performnce test, you beat something that's got a superior overall package. That's impressive, but don't pretend they are competators. They are two different types of cars.

Fourcam330

Established Member
rphinney said:
Since we are talking about 2 K in mods, let me break this down for you, Z06 + Cam + Spray= STFU Shelby owners.

I can't wait to run into a built/sprayed C6 Z06. What kind of face do you think the Chevy driver will be making as a I blow past at 4100lbs+? :uh oh:

:lol:

I can see most C6 Z06 owners leaving the cars alone and enjoying them as is. Also, as expensive of a motor as the LS7 is, keeping your warranty is more important than ever.

Since we are talking about good drivers do you guys know the record for a bone stock C5 Z06 is 11.78

11.78 that's right 11.78.

Now add 100 HP. :thumbsup:
What the F%^$ are we arguing about again. :kaboom:

LOL, the bone stock record for a 96-98 Cobra happens to be [email protected] (Mike Smith 98 Cobra, Cecil County). You know how many guys ever ran that #? One, BFD.
Like it or not a BPU GT500 will run with or quicker/faster than a stock C6 Z06. I'm willing to bet there will be a lot more modded Shelby's than C6 Z06s. The Z06 is an amazing car, and it's just as amazing that a sub $40K car based on a sports/luxury platform can keep up at all.

I find it humourous that people are still jocking the GT500 with all that has been cut from the car. Months back everyone acted like the twin screw was the savior and would cause the car to go over 600 RWHP easy. Now people are claiming the same numbers even though we know the car is not getting the twin screw but a larger roots type. :shrug:

The car will make 600+rwhp/TQ with the roots, it would have made 725-750 with a twin screw. I've always said that and I've never swayed from it.
What else has been dropped with regard to parts that actually perform? Cross drilled rotors, I'd rather not have them thanks, hood vents...Who gives a shit? :shrug:

For those that think 65K Price tag is high go talk to to the guys paying 85K for a viper that is gonna get walked like a dog (bitch) by the Z06. Never mind the twisties.

The C6 Z06 is a great car, but again, it commands a $30-45K (base to optioned out) premium over a GT500. The question we should all be asking is: Is one C6 Z06 worth TWO Shelby GT500s? As great of a car as the C6 Z06 is, I think not.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I can't wait to run into a built/sprayed C6 Z06. What kind of face do you think the Chevy driver will be making as a I blow past at 4100lbs+ ?

He would probably crap his pants as everyone else driving a car like that would. A "built", I assume that means Cam and other engine goodies, Z06 with nitrous is.....I dont even know how fast. Faster than I care to imagine. Good luck "blowing past" a car like that. I think you have a major ego problem Fourcam, and you have lost touch with reality.

You do know that the 3850lb SLR McClaren(sp) with its 612hp I think it is is not as fast as the stock Z06 is likely to be. It is going to take a whole lot of power and big time drag suspension to run those times. Where as the Z06 can leave the drag strip and drive home getting 25+mpg on the highway and stop off at the road course and knock off some killer lap times, then use his navigation to find his way home to his house from the track.

This is getting absurd!

LOL, the bone stock record for a 96-98 Cobra happens to be [email protected] (Mike Smith 98 Cobra, Cecil County). You know how many guys ever ran that #? One, BFD.

There are multiple people in the high 11's in C5 Z06's. As in more than one.

Like it or not a BPU GT500 will run with or quicker/faster than a stock C6 Z06.

What exactly does BPU mean again. Pulley something or other.....

The car will make 600+rwhp/TQ with the roots, it would have made 725-750 with a twin screw.

Arent the Terminators making over 600rwhp on whipples and KB's? I do realize there are more cubes and better heads, but I think over 600rwhp will be a lot of boost.

The C6 Z06 is a great car, but again, it commands a $30-45K (base to optioned out) premium over a GT500. The question we should all be asking is: Is one C6 Z06 worth TWO Shelby GT500s? As great of a car as the C6 Z06 is, I think not.

Where do you get your prices dude!?! The base Z is $65k, fully optioned its about $72k. Assuming a price of about $40k for the Shelby (will this be fully loaded??) thats a difference of $25k-32k for the math impaired. So is one ZO6 worth 1.5 or 1.666 Cobra's? I guess it will depend on what the owner plans to do with it. If he is into road racing, then its worth any amount of Shelby's. If he is all about status, then maybe yes. If he is all about straight line speed, then maybe not. BUT wouldnt you rather have a 427 cubic inch 3100lb car, with room for huge rear tires, and great aerdynamics as a platform for a drag car if you were some rich bastard who had money to waste?

AGAIN, THESE ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT ANIMALS!

Fourcam330

Established Member
Formula51 said:
He would probably crap his pants as everyone else driving a car like that would. A "built", I assume that means Cam and other engine goodies, Z06 with nitrous is.....I dont even know how fast. Faster than I care to imagine. Good luck "blowing past" a car like that. I think you have a major ego problem Fourcam, and you have lost touch with reality.

ROFL, talk to the twin 66s. Feel free to inquire with Induction Concepts about their GT500 TT kit, I'm the prototype donor car :loser: I've already sent Rad a spare set of GT heads so he can begin jigging a custom lower that will flow 2000HP--I'll use the stock stuff as I'm going nowhere near that level for obvious reliability reasons. Next month he gets a GT lower/upper/IC to play with.
Regardless that part of my post was in response to Rob's ridiculous claim that a sprayed/cam'd/C6 Z06 would own all. I wouldn't expect to "blow" by such a Z06 unless I was running 110--I keep a drum in the garage. Here on earth a TT GT500 will be faster, and cheaper. :D

You do know that the 3850lb SLR McClaren(sp) with its 612hp I think it is is not as fast as the stock Z06 is likely to be. It is going to take a whole lot of power and big time drag suspension to run those times. Where as the Z06 can leave the drag strip and drive home getting 25+mpg on the highway and stop off at the road course and knock off some killer lap times, then use his navigation to find his way home to his house from the track.

I could care less about the SLR, even if it is the fastest Benz I'd rather have an S65, the SLR looks like a buck toothed, feminine batmobile. I love the rest of Mercedes styling, but that car is just off to me. I've said multiple times the C6 Z06 is a great car and I'd love to have one. How are those R/C skills doing?

This is getting absurd!

What's that?

There are multiple people in the high 11's in C5 Z06's. As in more than one.

Multiple people have run low 13s in bone stock 96-98 Cobras. Also as in, more than one.

What exactly does BPU mean again. Pulley something or other.....

Basic Power Upgrades. For an 03/04 Cobra or GT500 I would assume BPU to mean: LTs, X/H, catback, pulley, reflash, CAI.

Arent the Terminators making over 600rwhp on whipples and KB's? I do realize there are more cubes and better heads, but I think over 600rwhp will be a lot of boost.

93-94 octane Pump gas and 600-620rwhp/tq is what you can expect out of a full BPU GT500. If you can run pump gas, it's not a lot of boost. "more cubes an better heads" doesn't quite cover the difference between a GT500 motor and an 03/04. Try LS6 vs. LS7.

Where do you get your prices dude!?! The base Z is $65k, fully optioned its about $72k. Assuming a price of about $40k for the Shelby (will this be fully loaded??) thats a difference of $25k-32k for the math impaired. So is one ZO6 worth 1.5 or 1.666 Cobra's? I guess it will depend on what the owner plans to do with it. If he is into road racing, then its worth any amount of Shelby's. If he is all about status, then maybe yes. If he is all about straight line speed, then maybe not. BUT wouldnt you rather have a 427 cubic inch 3100lb car, with room for huge rear tires, and great aerdynamics as a platform for a drag car if you were some rich bastard who had money to waste?

AGAIN, THESE ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT ANIMALS!

"dude" I posted a C6 Z06 sticker in another thread a few weeks back. A base C6 Z06 is $65K so after taxes, etc. you won't get off the lot for under $72K. A fully optioned car lists at $72-73K meaning it won't leave the lot for under $80K.
The GT500 will sell for $38,500-40,000 so off the lot for $42,500-44,000 (conservatively) making for a difference of between: $28-$37,500. I may have stretched it a tad, but I would have thought you would have gotten the idea. I agree that other people with different intentions might not agree with me, that's why I said "I" think not. ;-)
NO SHIT, THEY ARE DIFFERENT ANIMALS DID YOU ACTUALLY READ ANY OF MY POSTS? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

turbocake

Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
So Ice, a removed spare/jack, a prepped freshly sprayed track and new tires is now considered "stock"- must be on the new dealer option list
he's a hell of a driver but come on- they do everything they can to get numbers out of the cars- things that 99.99% of enthusiasts wont go and do- or get a chance to... and its not like that 13.5 was magical- everyone who got their hands on the new stang reported those or similar numbers and STOCK at that

moving along- so what clutch does everyone expect/plan to run in these monsters I mean 3800lbs, 450rwtq or more (for all you crazy modders) combined with sticky tires- you're gonna be changing clutches a lot no?!?

I agree...

EJ is one hell of a driver, worked at the track before his MM job so he knows what to do, and they get the track to themselves (can launch 50 times in a row if they want)... in east coast air no less.

So as long as the Z06 is also driven by Evan and he's doing an unbiased comparo, we'd do well to watch what the outcome is.

If anyone pits his times (or anomolies like it) against Joe Schmoe's Z06, they're reaching for the fringes to claim that the masses are dominant.

It's all about the (good) average driver at the average track, in the average heat, and after waiting the average hour in between runs. IMO at least.

Yeah, then the clutch. A 4k lb (w/driver) car is going to need one hell of a clutch if it's going up against the mondo horsepower claimed to be pushing it.

Does anyone have any specifics on the clutch pressure/diameter/materials?

Formula51

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
ROFL, talk to the twin 66s. Feel free to inquire with Induction Concepts about their GT500 TT kit, I'm the prototype donor car :loser: I've already sent Rad a spare set of GT heads so he can begin jigging a custom lower that will flow 2000HP--I'll use the stock stuff as I'm going nowhere near that level for obvious reliability reasons. Next month he gets a GT lower/upper/IC to play with.
Regardless that part of my post was in response to Rob's ridiculous claim that a sprayed/cam'd/C6 Z06 would own all. I wouldn't expect to "blow" by such a Z06 unless I was running 110--I keep a drum in the garage. Here on earth a TT GT500 will be faster, and cheaper. :D

You have more balls and money than I do! That is going to be one insane car. I want lots of picks and videos when its done. It sounds awesome! You will likely be "the" or one of the fastest GT500's out there.

I could care less about the McLaren, even if it is fast, it looks like a weird feminine batmobile. I love the rest of Mercedes styling, but that car is just off to me. I've said multiple times the C6 Z06 is a great car and I'd love to have one. How are those R/C skills doing?

You know what I meant, the point was how much power it takes to move a heavy car. Not quite sure what R/C skills are? "You'll have to excuse my friend, he's a little slow!"

We'll I guess our opinions do not differ that much afterall. And my apologies about the Ego thing. You are obviously just a speed nut! And thats a good thing!

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Lethalchem said:
Since when did people start trying to put these cars in the same category? The 03/04 Cobra wasn't in the same category as the old Z06, and the Shelby shouldn't be grouped with the new Z06. Just because they put out similar HP numbers doesn't automatically make them competators.

I think it's great the Terminators could run down some of the vettes on the street, but I consider that a bonus. It's like beating a bike in your car, nobody really expects it, but it's cool if you can do it. The same will be true for the Shelby. If you mod it and take out a new Z06 in a straight line, cool! In one performnce test, you beat something that's got a superior overall package. That's impressive, but don't pretend they are competators. They are two different types of cars.

:beer:
I don't know why people are comparing the two. These cars are not even in the same category. One is a purpose built true sports car and the other is a 4 passenger 20K car with a 20K drivetrain to make one helluva musclecar. I think the Ford GT would make a better comparison. Super car vs. super car. Ford's best vs. GM's best. I know some will say that it won't be a fair comparison because of the MSRP cost differance between the two. What about the cost differance between the GT500 and C6 Z06?
The Z06 will no doubt be an awesome machine but I'd rather have the GT (if I could afford one). I don't like the looks of the new C6. The GT's looks alone are worth the extra $$$. :D

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Formula51 said:
You have more balls and money than I do! That is going to be one insane car. I want lots of picks and videos when its done. It sounds awesome! You will likely be "the" or one of the fastest GT500's out there.
We'll I guess our opinions do not differ that much afterall. And my apologies about the Ego thing. You are obviously just a speed nut! And thats a good thing!

I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty sporty ride. It's such a long way off but I'm already getting giddy. No hard feelings and thanks for the kind words. :beer:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
:beer:
I don't know why people are comparing the two. These cars are not even in the same category. One is a purpose built true sports car and the other is a 4 passenger 20K car with a 20K drivetrain to make one helluva musclecar. I think the Ford GT would make a better comparison. Super car vs. super car. Ford's best vs. GM's best. I know some will say that it won't be a fair comparison because of the MSRP cost differance between the two. What about the cost differance between the GT500 and C6 Z06? The GT (MSRP $139K) will cost about twice as much as the new Z06. But keep in mind that the Z06 will probably cost almost twice as much as the GT500.

Very true, the same logic that pits a GT500 against a Z06 will do the same to the Z06 with a GT. For the $, they're all amazing cars.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty sporty ride. It's such a long way off but I'm already getting giddy.

That TT GT500 is gonna be one sick ride! :bowdown:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
rphinney said:
All hail!!

Ford has created a Forced induction, 4V, OHCammed Shelby.

And we are still arguing whether or nor it will take out a 2V, Pushrod, Chevy Small Block. :beer:

Don't forget to add; a chevy small block with 100 more cubes :beer:

Last edited:

turbocake

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
ROFL, talk to the twin 66s.

There's no way to argue with the power they'll provide (driveability, yes)... but there's quite a bit to this tale you're leaving out...

The entire power adder system, requisite subsystem upgrades, and everything you do to the car to keep it controllable under power is going to ruin any reasonable chance of warranty claim (and if not and this shit just comes on and off without telltales, it's still a lot of damn work), whereas a vette with catback and CAI (arguably warrantable in-place) and a bottle in a bag (quickly removable) are even more feasible than the pulley swap on my 04 and that setup will likely beat most BPU Shelby's.

It might not even need drag radials, but if so, one could put them on the stock rims and drive the car like that every single day. Super reliable.

It would do us well to recognize that I'm more focused on street driving/racing and you're more focused on drag strip only. Driveability is a big issue for a lot of folks. In fact, I would say moreso for the Shelby crowd than the Z06 crowd (at least the guys I know... can't comment for the fogies @ 55mph club)

Fourcam330 said:

Cheaper for you maybe... anyone who just buys the Shelby and drops it off for the custom TT setup (parts/labor/tuning/shit happening) is probably going to get damn near, or fly right by, the cost of that Z06.

Even if not, when it's time to sell the car they will lose their ass on their parts investment (even if you are so badass that you can make the car look like it never had the kit then "off" the parts & car for top-dollar, most folks can't or won't and the sale price will suffer considerably) while the Z06 owner pulls his few mods off and gets top potential dollar with relatively little hassle.

IMO, when looking at all the details, you simply can't beat factory horsepower, but it's important to realize your goal is a bit different. You're building one dominant-azz vehicle and I'm sure you will bring your A-game... few are as devoted and most will probably just want either car long enough to get the next one that comes with even more power.

What's the TT kit comprised of?

Two turbos
Fatty Intercooler setup
Big MAF
Big TB
Custom Intake setup
Custom Exhaust
Fuel Upgrades (pump/inj.?)
Tuning
Clutch
Axles (??)
Studs
Rear wheels/tires
Subs (did they fix the torque boxes on the new chassis?)
Ladder bars :-D

That's quite a list of serious performance and serious cash to just order up from a local parts house... prototype perks are cool (if applicable in your case) but don't pretend that everyone would have it so easy. Even if you're paying top dollar, you've got a clear advantage in knowledgeability and wrenching aptitude to make this setup work as it should and keep it that way.

How plug-and-play is their kit intended to be? Where exactly are the 66's going to go, anyway? Any idea of requisite gutting or major relocations?

I have two requests:
1) Pics of your setup once done (audio of the 66's if you would be so kind)
2) Race a stock Z06 on your stock tires, beat him, and tell me what the traps were :beer:

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Very true, the same logic that pits a GT500 against a Z06 will do the same to the Z06 with a GT. For the $, they're all amazing cars.

Don't you welcome that comparo though? I think it will be a much better comparison as the cars are comparable in ALL performance categories. I think the GT will win some and the Z some as well.

This thread shows a little insight of whats to come.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=560215

C6 Vette
0-30 1.90
0-60 4.62
0-100 10.80
Reaction Time 0.23
100-0 4.29
TOTAL 15.32

Viper
0-30 2.00
0-60 4.44
0-100 9.59
Reaction 0.32
100-0 4.71
TOTAL 14.62

Ford GT
0-30 1.99
0-60 3.93
0-100 8.59
Reaction 0.31
100-0 4.27
TOTAL 13.17

Notice that the base model C6 was about dead even with the GT in 100-0mph braking. If the acceleration and handling of the Z and GT are close then the Z's braking could make all the difference on track times!

Just surmising here.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
rphinney said:
All hail!!

Ford has created a Forced induction, 4V, OHCammed Shelby.

And we are still arguing whether or nor it will take out a 2V, Pushrod, Chevy Small Block. :beer:

Isn't the LS7 a 3V design? Or am I loosing it?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Formula51 said:
Don't you welcome that comparo though? I think it will be a much better comparison as the cars are comparable in ALL performance categories. I think the GT will win some and the Z some as well.

This thread shows a little insight of whats to come.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=560215

C6 Vette
0-30 1.90
0-60 4.62
0-100 10.80
Reaction Time 0.23
100-0 4.29
TOTAL 15.32

Viper
0-30 2.00
0-60 4.44
0-100 9.59
Reaction 0.32
100-0 4.71
TOTAL 14.62

Ford GT
0-30 1.99
0-60 3.93
0-100 8.59
Reaction 0.31
100-0 4.27
TOTAL 13.17

Notice that the base model C6 was about dead even with the GT in 100-0mph braking. If the acceleration and handling of the Z and GT are close then the Z's braking could make all the difference on track times!

Just surmising here.

well I guess one could say chevy has a clear advantage in knowing what the competition already has- lot easier to put out a car a year(or two) after the competion ala 2000R vs 2001 z06, that manages to top the competition... same thing has happened to the viper and every other car/truck on the planet
I mean look at the viper people damn near consider it a dog these days- I dont think Ford went out and built the Gt to be the end all be all performance Icon- I think they wanted to build a car worthy of the name and effort... they accomplished it and just so happened to rock the world of some of the "other" carmakers...with GM and the z06...it seems to be more of an ego thing- they're no longer faster than ford and have been behind dodge- so they've gotta go above and beyond the competition and outdo them in all respects- not saying the competion isnt good or welcome- just making a few observations

redz_02

Established Member
The new z06 being around 3000 lbs. is going to be a beast with a wetshot, full exhaust, and a nice loaping cam for about 2 grand for everything. See conservative nines with these mods and some slicks, and it's a damn corner carver. With that weight ratio and the stock power your gonna see these cars in the 10's stock, about the same output as the MTI z07 package which runs mid 10's.

As for the gt500, still not digging the car, just hate how the back end sticks out so far lots of power but just not me, don't like to fallow the hype badwagon, would rather have a modded ls1 or an 03-04 term.

Magazines estimates are crap to compare to, we need to wait until we see a gt500 with some times and not estimates.

Last edited:

rphinney

Established Member
OK Fourcam so your Twin Turbo'd GT500 with a custom Built GT platform engine will take out a C6 Z06. :rollseyes

You win, WTF does this have to do with anything we where talking about?

One minute the argument was 2K in mods and the GT500 will be spanking a Z06, so I plainly stated a Z06 with the same 2K in mods will beat a GT500, then you start talking about a TT GT500? :shrug:

So I must have missed it, where you saying a GT500 will keep up with a Z on the spray or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread