Z06 loses to near stock Cobra

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Got my first Z06 kill ever on Friday. It had been a bad day for me, things weren't going well with the girlfriend and I scratched my rim on the way to lunch for the first time in 15,000 miles.. I ended up skipping my afternoon classes to go home and sleep (I have the flu). Then I thought about it and decided I wanted to street race instead. :pepper: .. I was coming through a neighborhood crusing to Preston (a major street) when chance landed me beside a blue Z06 at a stopsign. He ended up behind me and we took it easy through the neighborhood. I turned out onto Preston and expected him to follow, but he did not. Traffic was heavy and he decided to wait awhile before entering the road. I gave up hope and decided to go home. Waiting in my turning lane to head back, I looked at the passing traffic expecting to see my would be killer, the Z06, drive by. But I didn't. A huge SUV was behind me so I could not see what else was in the turn lane. I got a green arrow. As I proceded through the intersection I noticed that indeed, the Z06 was following me. I reached the speed limit and he came up beside me.. I thought he would stop but he just flew past. Fate helped me out yet again and the light ahead went red. Side by side.. I complimented him on his car and asked him if he wanted to race. He did. Light went green and he told me to go. I slipped the clutch from 3000 and took off with a slight chirp. I could hear his tires squeeling over my exhaust.. I pulled 1 car on him.. shift, more squeeling as I just take off. 1 and a half cars on him, then he hooked. I figured this is where I would lose. Not the case, from where we were to 140 I held my lead, and any gain he might have had was marginal. In any case, I was stoked. First Z06 kill. :burnout:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
good kill, so you live in Plano? a couple of my friends up here at Tech are from Plano and we may be making a trip there before the semester is over and if i drive i'd like to get together with some of the local Terminator owners!

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
nice kill man...i had me a Z kill when i had only a couple bolt ons too.

FroDaddy

Established Member
foofinator said:
Performance: SLP Loudmouth Catback; Drop-in K&N; 315/35/17 Nitto 555R's

Sorry, but you're far from "near stock" rwhp or traction. You're pushing at least 30rwhp more than stock (probably more like 40rwhp more), and with drag radials you're putting that to the ground. With a tune you'd see well over 400rwhp.

Just know that intake/exhaust gives you VERY good gains so you can't claim it makes you "near stock" stock RWHP levels. That's like saying all you did was add a pulley so you're near stock!

Anyway, I'm not discrediting your kill. Just trying to put things in perspective... it's obvious the Z06 was the lesser car so congrats on getting the job done vs. GM's finest!

ghostrydyr

Established Member
great job on the nice kill

Haven't ran into one lately but before my pulley I did beat one from 50 to 110. The best win for me with my pulley is a brand new e55 :banana: on the same freeway.

02///M3

Established Member
FroDaddy said:
Sorry, but you're far from "near stock" rwhp or traction. You're pushing at least 30rwhp more than stock (probably more like 40rwhp more), and with drag radials you're putting that to the ground. With a tune you'd see well over 400rwhp.

Just know that intake/exhaust gives you VERY good gains so you can't claim it makes you "near stock" stock RWHP levels. That's like saying all you did was add a pulley so you're near stock!

Anyway, I'm not discrediting your kill. Just trying to put things in perspective... it's obvious the Z06 was the lesser car so congrats on getting the job done vs. GM's finest!

I don't know a lot about Cobra's, but what lesser mods could he possibly have done to his car? Besides the drag radials, those are the smallest mods you can do correct?

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
02///M3 said:
I don't know a lot about Cobra's, but what lesser mods could he possibly have done to his car? Besides the drag radials, those are the smallest mods you can do correct?

Yes you are correct.

Some people are just dense. Mabye he thinks the cobra grille emblem only qualifies as a near stock mod.

The mods done to the car in question are the most basic of mods you can do to a Cobra. They address the major shortcomings of the stock car, traction and air movement through the engine. It is not our fault that those mods net am excellent WHP and performance gain.

Ashley

Last edited:

93Snake

Sorry man hate to say this, your a clown.. he has a Drop in Air filter and cat-back exhaust, holy crap thats majorly modified man :rolleyes: thats as basic as it can get... you are correct in the tires.. the nitto's still don't hook that well. those eagle f1 supercars aren't a bad tire they hook fairly well IMO. there is a beautiful red Z06 sitting right in our garage that stares down my slobra everyday :coolman:

2thDr

Established Member
1badsnake said:
Sorry man hate to say this, your a clown.. he has a Drop in Air filter and cat-back exhaust, holy crap thats majorly modified man :rolleyes: thats as basic as it can get... you are correct in the tires.. the nitto's still don't hook that well. those eagle f1 supercars aren't a bad tire they hook fairly well IMO. there is a beautiful red Z06 sitting right in our garage that stares down my slobra everyday :coolman:

Read his statement a little more closely. He said "far from 'near stock' RWHP", not "far from 'near stock'."

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys.. I didn't say my RWHP isn't far from stock, I said my car is near stock. As stated above, an airfilter, a catback exhaust and some tires is about as close to stock as you can get.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
foofinator said:
Thanks for the replies guys.. I didn't say my RWHP isn't far from stock, I said my car is near stock. As stated above, an airfilter, a catback exhaust and some tires is about as close to stock as you can get.

Werd. Whose problem is it that the Cobras gain a lot form a little? The Z06, thats who.

93Snake

read his post again he's saying he's not near stock... I agree his RWHP is a bit over stock however, so I guess we'll just have to say he's "LS1 Near Stock" :rolling:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread