Z06 races turbo SHO, suprising results

SHOspeedProject

Established Member
I have been waiting for this one for some time. Finally, tonight, on my way to a friends house, I see the distinctive taillights of a 5th generation Corvette. Upon closer inspection I confirm that it is indeed the vaunted Z06, all 405 glorious horses, in sculpted black as night fiberglass.

As I pass him by, I give him an indication that I am indeed eager to find out how that titanium exhaust sounds under full acceleration. I accelerate past him to allow him to get past the slower traffic in his lane, and when I get over we see two beautiful lanes of traffic free strips of asphalt before us. And what is this? A light coming up!

Unfortunately (or for me, thankfully), the light turns green before we encounter it, so we roll through. I shift down to first and see that he is ready. My heart is pounding, the adrenaline is rushing through my veins. After all this time, I finally get to see how the turbo holds up to GM's finest piece of machinery to date. At approximately 5000 rpms I slam the accelerator just as he depresses his gas pedal. The wrath and fury that is unleashed on that lonely stretch of tarmac must have been a sight to behold. 7000 rpms comes quickly, and I grasp for second gear. I am elated to not have lost any ground to the menacing Vette. And now, much to my satisfaction, I am pulling on this 5.7 liters of nastiness! I snatch third, right on a puddle of water, and get some nasty torque steer (sorry Vette guy - I stole a good foot from his lane, damn FWD). Just like that, the race is over. 30-70, SHO gains a car length, maybe 1 1/2. I was elated!

Now for the good part. The Z06 is getting on the bypass (10+ miles of 4 beautiful lanes undulating and curving to downtown). I am right behind, expecting him to get on the highway and let me pull even before we contest each other again. But he is not having it.

As soon as he clears the light and is on the on-ramp, he is gone! I quickly go to high-boost and follow. 60, 70, 80, 90, he is not getting out of it. 100, 110, 120 have to slow for a left sweeper coming up. Clear that and he is back on it. Fly through a right hander to the longest and straightest part of the thoroughfare. With both engines breathing as hard as they can, a straight line high speed contest is under way. 120, 130, I am starting to gain. 140 gaining more ground, and faster now. 150, is the Z06 still in it? He has to be, but for all it's might, the LS6 can not overcome the higher than atmospheric pressure that the turbo is providing the SHO. As the speeds climb, it becomes more apparent who the victor is in this duel. @ 160 I am passing him a decent clip, and stack a number of lengths on for good measure. But traffic is ahead, and hauling 3300 lbs of Taurus down from 160 is no easy task. I brake plenty early to sane speeds, and after we clear traffic, we play some mroe cat and mouse through some of the tighter turns.

It was a complete blast. Thank you Z06 driver, for indulging my wishes. The turbo SHO can rest now. Her hunger has been satisfied.

time2train

Established Member
Great Kill. I don't see many Z06s in Oklahoma. Post some pics of your SHO when you get a chance.

SHOspeedProject

Established Member
You should come to Tulsa, there are at least 4-5 Z06's I see regularly. Here is a pic for you.

33994898.jpg

86style

Established Member
seems odd.
perhaps some details of your car and some times might shed some light on this rather hard to believe story.:rollseyes

JMHCobra

Established Member
Fantastic story, even better writing style! Nothing like a turbo. ;)

I'm currently in Stillwater at Oklahoma State, but I'm originally from Tulsa. The '03 Cobra in my signature is my dad's (we post from the same account when we get around to it), and the '96 is mine. I've only seen one or two Z06's in the Tulsa area since I got the Cobra ... in fact, I've only had a handful of races on the streets and the majority of them are pickup trucks with ridiculous sounding glasspacks (Is it just me, or are these things everywhere!?). Granted, I don't go looking very often, and I never go to the track, but it seems people aren't down for anonymous street engagements anymore ... too many cops, I guess. My dad's favorite phrase is, "Nobody has any nerve anymore." I don't think he's had a single race since he got his '03!

Well, anyways, now that I've finished ranting ... great story and even sweeter car, man. Perhaps I'll see you cruising about at some point in time and get an ear-shot of that BOV!

:rockon:

SHOspeedProject

Established Member
Originally posted by 86style
seems odd.
perhaps some details of your car and some times might shed some light on this rather hard to believe story.:rollseyes

445 crank hp @ 11 psi. It was very cool last night as well, and @ 13 psi I have a feeling I was pushing more HP than at the dyno. Car has only been good for low 13's @ close to 115, but the drag strip is not where it shines, it is a very capable highway performer. When considering my power to weight ratio is better than stock Z06's, my gear ratio's are nearly identical, and my coefficient of drag is quite good, the race is not so hard to believe, but I can understand your skepticism. There are not a whole lot of Tauri out there than can run with Z06's.

OCMike

Established Member
San Fransisko, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
There is a local SHO Shop in Huntington Beach. (in fact...I think that's the actual name). I used their dyno last year. (they don't see too many 600+rwhp cars). I had a chance to talk to the SHO guys and I was actually quite impressed with the performance they were getting from their heavily modded SHO's. The place also specializes in BMW's...the owner has a very nice turbo M5 (or maybe it's an M3). Regardless, they do some very good stuff there.

There is no doubt in my mind a heavily modded turbo'd SHO Taurus can keep up with a stock Z06...

sho95

Established Member
couple of questions!
Where do you get this turbo setup and how much is it with everything that had to be done to your car. I have ridden in a supercharged SHO putting out 475 HP which was nice but the cost is phenomenal!!!!!

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
I would be curios too... my sis got screwed with her engine and has been paying for the car for years as it sits in the garage. What info can you guys give me as far as a rebuilt... or other options. Body is in good shape and would like to play wit this.

99z28the real Z

Established Member
I just find it hard to believe:
z06:3117lbs, 405bhp 1/4=12.4@116, 0-60 3.9 top speed 171gov
lat acc 1g

sho:3690lbs, 235bhp 1/4=15.9@90, 0-60 7.4 top speed 140gov
lat acc .81g

I know you said you have a turbo, and it is a 210 horsepower adder? If you are legit then you have one bad ass car. Have you put it on a diet?

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
Originally posted by 99z28the real Z
lat acc 1g

lat acc .81g

I know you said you have a turbo, and it is a 210 horsepower adder? If you are legit then you have one bad ass car. Have you put it on a diet?
It is hard to believe but has also been heavily documented. $=HP and it doesn't really matter what your'e driving. Just look at the vid of the plymouth voyager wasting a z28. :rockon:

SHOspeedProject

Established Member
Originally posted by 99z28the real Z
lat acc 1g

lat acc .81g

The numbers you are quoting are for the GEN III V8 SHO's, which only came in automatic. Mine is a 1990, which had stock a 220hp 3.0L V6 and 5-spd manual trannies. With no options (like mine) it's mass was approximately 3300 lbs. Stock it ran low 15's @ 94. (my NA 95, which was a bit heavier, ran 14.5 @ 97).

Is it a 210 hp adder? In crank hp yes, 225 added actaully. Stock V6 SHO's dyno around 190 when healthy. Mine dyno'd @ 380 @ 10-11psi. That is more than doubling the HP. And it weighs less due to a fiberglass hood and lightweight forged wheels and lighter suspsension (coilovers). Also, it was very cool weather, and I was seeing 12-13 psi (probably very close to 400 whp) that night. The Z06 was simply outgunned.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 86style
seems odd.
Of course. Nothing on the planet could possibly be quicker than the mighty zo6.:rolleyes:

ZX2Down

Established Member
man some of you guys simply refuse that anything other then a cobra can be fast. The man's got a KICK ASS SHO and all some of you do is doubt him, how about reading his other posts if you still need proor.

Users who are viewing this thread