Z06vs 500rwhp saleen

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Robz said:
Alot of times, On the street you can't tell what's going on with either driver. No times/mph. We've also seen many videos with the opposite result.
Remember the video of the h/c c5 that put buslegnths on the pullied cobra much worse than above?
Even on the street without a launch these races are all about the driver.

As I mentioned above, when I has around 400rwhp(on the strip) with tires I was always several tenths faster than the cobra guys I ran with that were making around 500rwhp.
IMO, the cobra is a little easier to powershift/speedshift for the average driver.
This shape > is much more aerodynamic than this shape ].lol

A heads/cam C5 will beat a pullied Cobra, there is no doubt about that. It typically takes a 60-70rwhp advantage in a Cobra to stay even with a Z06 with equal drivers. I have raced many Z06s around here and have had the same result everytime.

Aerodynamics won't noticeably affect the outcome until high speeds. Gearing and usable powerband play a much bigger role in speeds below 140mph.

Like you said, driver plays the biggest role, there are 51Xrwhp Cobras running 10s and others that can barely run low 12s. Same goes for Corvettes, I see heads/cam C5s only running high 11s when they should be running much quicker.

Robz

Established Member
SBo3 said:
A heads/cam C5 will beat a pullied Cobra, there is no doubt about that. It typically takes a 60-70rwhp advantage in a Cobra to stay even with a Z06 with equal drivers. I have raced many Z06s around here and have had the same result everytime.

Aerodynamics won't noticeably affect the outcome until high speeds. Gearing and usable powerband play a much bigger role in speeds below 140mph.

Like you said, driver plays the biggest role, there are 51Xrwhp Cobras running 10s and others that can barely run low 12s. Same goes for Corvettes, I see heads/cam C5s only running high 11s when they should be running much quicker.
I hear ya.
In this vid I just found it was a much worse beating than maybe it should have been. Don't know how to post it.
I can tell you that a c5z in the right hands is very quick. Its hard to wring out all of its potential without alot of seat time and most guys never get there. I'm sure same is true for the cobra.
On the strip I would spot 130rwhp with equal tires and bet similar times.

Last edited:

MekkadonZ28

93 347 Cobra said:
That guy doesn't sound too bright for running his car when he's out of fuel pump.

I disagree, I don't think it's a nice kill. You have a nice car but that guy was shifting at 4300 and had major tuning issues.

ditto.

StangJason

Established Member
SBo3 said:
Nice kill..

I raced a cam only Z06 with 43Xrwhp and he was at my door, neither of us could pull away. (me at around 500rwhp). I pull 2-3 cars + on bolt-on Z06s, something wasn't right if you couldn't pull on a z06 with a 110rwhp+ advantage. :pop:

I had about the exact same thing happen to me but I figure was able to nose him for two reasons, the guy wasn't the greatest driver and my dyno numbers are low because they were done in very hot humid conditions.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Robz said:
On the strip I would spot 130rwhp with equal tires and bet similar times.

I disagree, that would mean a 37Xrwhp C5 Z06 would run the same as a 50Xrwhp Cobra. Show me one z06 that can run low 11s / high 10s @ 125mph+ at 370rwhp, i'll show you 10 Cobras that can. :read:, (@ 50Xrwhp) With stock suspensions, full weight, stock gear and IRS.

Last edited:

Robz

Established Member
SBo3 said:
I disagree, that would mean a 37Xrwhp C5 Z06 would run the same as a 50Xrwhp Cobra. Show me one z06 that can run low 11s / high 10s @ 125mph+ at 370rwhp, i'll show you 10 Cobras that can. :read:, (@ 50Xrwhp)
Maybe you misunderstood me. It wasn't a statement, it was my personal call out(challenge) to anyone.

You mentioned about 70rwhp difference on the street and I would bet more like 75-100rwhp on the strip due to the better launch capable and slight aero advantage. I would personally spot an extra 30.lol

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Robz said:
Maybe you misunderstood me. It wasn't a statement, it was my personal call out(challenge) to anyone.

Not every car is built the same, you're calling out any Cobra that makes 130rwhp more than you? What about the ones with a SRA, weight reduction, gears and suspension. :??:

I think Broke7s Cobra made about 130rwhp more than you.

http://www.4get2.com/2006/12/1045_133mph_kenne_bell_cobra.php

That’s in a full weight KB Cobra, with a stock IRS, stock headers, motor, gear etc..:pop:

Or Hissssnsvt's car

Hissssnsvt said:
Hissssnsvt said:
Last time on the dyno it made 605/615
Took home the win in the 10.50 index class at our local Mustang vs F-body shootout held at MIR today. During the test session I decided to turn up the boost a bit from my previous track visit. Bolted on a 3.0 upper to replace my 3.20 along with my 4# lower. Ran a [email protected]

Mods include bone stock longblock, old style 2.3 Whipple, IRS, 6 speed.

Here are my runs from today...

First run right off the trailor (test session)

R/T ... .024 James...lol
60' ... 1.512
330' ... 4.432 (granny shifted 2nd)
1/8 ... 6.816
mph ... 99.44
1000' .. 8.849
1/4 ... 10.539
mph ... 133.98

Second run (test session)

60' ... 1.499
330' ... 4.355 (powershifted 2nd)
1/8 ... 6.691 (same as previous best)
mph ... 101.38
1000' .. 8.700
1/4 ... 10.378 (New Best)
mph ... 134.73 (New Best)

Third run (still test session, figured I'd try my nitrous, still not working right)

60' ... 1.553
330' ... 4.443
1/8 ... 6.766
mph ... 105.48
1000' .. 8.756
1/4 ... 10.421
mph ... 135.66

Last edited:

Robz

Established Member
SBo3 said:
Not every car is built the same, you're calling out any Cobra that makes 130rwhp more than you? What about the ones with a SRA, weight reduction, gears and suspension. :??:

I think Broke7s Cobra made about 130rwhp more than you.

http://www.4get2.com/2006/12/1045_133mph_kenne_bell_cobra.php

That’s in a full weight KB Cobra, with a stock IRS, stock headers, motor, gear etc..:pop:

Or Hissssnsvt's car
They would have to be stock weight and suspension and under 600rwhp. My latest dyno was 463/409. And of course, Just for fun.:coolman:

....Just checked one of my timeslips. I'm not too far off those guys. I would need good air of course, too.
breakdown
[email protected]
At etown. (MIR is a better track too. lol)
I'm usually good for low 1.4x's so I will see some 10.4x's this fall.
It would be fun to get some guys together down at MIR.
I've also seen 10.9x's with 396rwhp/368rwtq. It's all good. Thanks for the videos and sorry for going off topic.

Last edited:

Prey4Me

Another H&C LS1
Established Member
Quik Z06 said:
I do see it from both point of views, hell I own both. As mentioned mine isnt the only one its beat. We were all like wtf what do we need to do to beat it. Im going to keep looking for the vids. Matter of fact I'll PM a guy that was there watching,
Quik Zo6 ins't a liar guys, he's one of the more honest people I know. I watched his ZO6 pull 2 different pullied & ported cobra's. I thought the Z had a cam but his dyno killed that theory. I raced his Z with my car and it was almost dead even. A bolton Z with a good driver is a beast on the highway, learn to except it. :beer:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Prey4Me said:
Quik Zo6 ins't a liar guys, he's one of the more honest people I know. I watched his ZO6 pull 2 different pullied & ported cobra's. I thought the Z had a cam but his dyno killed that theory. I raced his Z with my car and it was almost dead even. A bolton Z with a good driver is a beast on the highway, learn to except it. :beer:

Something doesn't add up. His car dynoes normal for a Z06, his is the only one that can pull a pullied/ported Cobra. There are 120rwhp spreads between the cars and yet his still pulls?

Something doesn't add up with all this. Just doesn't. Are there track times for this faster than all others Z06? Any races against a C6Z?

In the Steeda30 vs. Lankhoss vids (when Lank was stock) the C6Z pulls a couple of lengths on the Cobra despite a 65rwhp deficit which is within reason.

This miracle Z is too much, this same Z with 70rwhp less than a C6Z is pulling just as much on full bolt-on ported and pullied Cobras? There's a nitrous system on board or some weight reduction or something that isn't being disclosed. At the absolute most this Z could pull barely on a Cobra with 80 more to the tire. Beyond that it's just absolute bullshit, period.:bs:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Haha, dam even with someone else that was there watching our Z06 run 2 ported pullied Cobras and theirs still doubt. You can call BS all you want but you have never seen our Z06 run so its stupid for you to assume otherwise. Have you noticed "Prey4Me's" sig? 448whp and our cars were about dead even on some freeway runs. Haha nitrous :D Thats cool, a mod we didnt know about, pretty sweet I guess it works wihout ever having to be filled up, im glad you know more about our cars then us :rolleyes: Go find a driver that knows how to drive their Z06 and you'd be pretty suprised how good they run. I'll post up a vid later of me with my mods now vs our Z06, yeah I pull it but not as hard as you would think.

DEAD EYE

You must defeat Shenglong
Established Member
My 404 rwhp '01 Z06 stayed dead even with 460 rwhp '03 Cobra twice. No one would pull. This was from the top of 2nd to the top of 3rd though. Once I hit the 150 shot it was lights out on the 3rd run.

Prey4Me

Another H&C LS1
Established Member
DEAD EYE said:
My 404 rwhp '01 Z06 stayed dead even with 460 rwhp '03 Cobra twice. No one would pull. This was from the top of 2nd to the top of 3rd though. Once I hit the 150 shot it was lights out on the 3rd run.
I'll trade you my car and my girlfriend for your viper. I had to give it a shot :shrug: . But seriously, lets trade!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
DEAD EYE said:
My 404 rwhp '01 Z06 stayed dead even with 460 rwhp '03 Cobra twice. No one would pull. This was from the top of 2nd to the top of 3rd though.

That sounds about right..With me at 500rwhp I stayed pretty much dead-even with a 43Xwhp Z06.

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
2nd and 3rd I can see, but when you get to 4th and 5th it's over, the Z06 top end is sweet to say the least.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Quik Z06 said:
Haha, dam even with someone else that was there watching our Z06 run 2 ported pullied Cobras and theirs still doubt. You can call BS all you want but you have never seen our Z06 run so its stupid for you to assume otherwise. Have you noticed "Prey4Me's" sig? 448whp and our cars were about dead even on some freeway runs. Haha nitrous :D Thats cool, a mod we didnt know about, pretty sweet I guess it works wihout ever having to be filled up, im glad you know more about our cars then us :rolleyes: Go find a driver that knows how to drive their Z06 and you'd be pretty suprised how good they run. I'll post up a vid later of me with my mods now vs our Z06, yeah I pull it but not as hard as you would think.

So you're pulling on a pullied Cobra with 450? or you're pulling on a ported/pullied Cobra with 500-ish?

I believe you can pull on a Cobra with 50-60 more at the tire. It's not unheard of for a strong well-driven Z06 to do so. Just means you have a sick Z06 and you can drive. I do have issue when claims are made that a stock C5Z06 pulled on a Cobra with 120 more to the tire.

I think Z06s are sweet and you've got two awesome cars. No hating here. Someone had mentioned earlier that you had pulled on a ported and pullied Cobra and they're usually up around 500 to the tire.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Lol, im not trying to argue with you, i know its not the norm. Its my own experience. My Cobra at 490whp would get pulled by our Z06 and I have friends such at "Prey4me" on this thread that can vouch for it. I didnt pull our Z06 until I went to my KB, and now Whipple. Our Z06 has ran 2 ported pullied Cobras and beat both of them, mine and a friends. Lol, again, I raced Prey4me's Firehawk at 448whp and we were about even. I do have vid of that if you want it.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Lol, here is our Vid vs "Prey4me" The first run sucked (my wife driving the Z06) wasnt ready. She was honking it off and didnt think he heard the 1st honk so she started over and he went on the 3rd and she was going to honk 1 more time. The 2nd and 3rd races are about even, not to shabby if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpMUJm4RvH4

*edit* sorry about the 3rd run, lol, I was messing around behind them in the Cobra (lol, the girl that was filming got all upset, lol that she didnt realize it was me) I would have ran them but my car wasnt tuned at the time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread