ZL1 1LE Runs 7.16 @ Ring

speeddemon2000

Established Member
That's pretty fast especially considering the fast bike time I could find on the ring is 7:10. It will be interesting to see how the new GT500 compares.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I daily a 06 b2300. Id imagine it cant be worse. If it is, i retract my statement sir haha. I feel like i will lose control when i go over rough areas.
Lol well we will most likely never see one of these, let alone ride in one, so we will probably never know.

I've only seen 1 GT350R that wasn't in a show room or an auto show, there are going to be even less of these than the R.

Hell, there is a better chance of seeing a Ford GT in the wild than this car.

HumanWiki

Established Member
Lol well we will most likely never see one of these, let alone ride in one, so we will probably never know.

I've only seen 1 GT350R that wasn't in a show room or an auto show, there are going to be even less of these than the R.

Hell, there is a better chance of seeing a Ford GT in the wild than this car.

Doubtful. Chevy has stated they will build up to 750/yr of these and there's multiple people with orders already close to having them delivered. You'll see more than you realize.. I've yet to see a single 350R in the wild, but I've seen an F40 and a CCX-R in the same year, on the streets.

Ford GTs are overly common here and not even work a second look.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Doubtful. Chevy has stated they will build up to 750/yr of these and there's multiple people with orders already close to having them delivered. You'll see more than you realize.. I've yet to see a single 350R in the wild, but I've seen an F40 and a CCX-R in the same year, on the streets.

Ford GTs are overly common here and not even work a second look.
Oh I thought they said 750 total.

My thought on the matter was they weren't going to make the same mistake they did with the Z28. They sold the first 500 of those, easily, then couldn't move the other 1000 or whatever to save their lives.

HumanWiki

Established Member
Oh I thought they said 750 total.

My thought on the matter was they weren't going to make the same mistake they did with the Z28. They sold the first 500 of those, easily, then couldn't move the other 1000 or whatever to save their lives.

No, just 750/yr. Now, there's nothing saying they wouldn't make it a 1yr run, but with the time sink, I doubt it w/o other factors.

They learned hard with the Gen5 Z/28.. You can see that with the lack of CCB, even stating they weren't worth the $$ for the improvement, a backseat (even if it's fixed position and non-fold down), full interior, proper HVAC and Infotainment, backup cam, nav, pdr, full power seats, heated/ventilated seats, heated wheel, voice controls, etc basically everything that's inside the normal ZL1. You just get all the different aero, the 19" wheels w/ those 3R tires, the full carbon wing, the DSSV shocks vs Gen3 MR shocks, solid suspension mounts, etc.

ZL1 1LE blows the Z/28 out of the water in terms of performance and in configuration and is still right on par with the price. Based on what the Gen5 Z cost then and how close it is to the now Gen6 ZL11LE, you could say that with inflation and configuration, the 1LE variation is actually "cheaper"

Now, people still need to be aware of what they're buying when they get this thing, but, it's definitely more daily livable than the Gen5 Z...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Quick story: GM was testing their brand new faster track car the z28 at the ring. They closed the track in good cool weather mid Sept. ran and a few days testing tuning recording every lap. You never know what lap might be the marketing lap. Despite all that did, to make it non oem to make it faster, they could not beat 7.41.27 which was what they advertised as their zl1 time.
They were forced to rent out the track a month later in oct in colder most likely wet conditions to beat the zl1. The specifically tuned non oem z28 that was not fast enough to beat their 2012 zl1 time, suddenly came back and picked up 4 seconds on a slower track. GM is magic!

Garbage, it's not the oem vehicle you can buy off the showroom floor! Just like all the manufacturers ring times.

Interesting note: The independent pro driven 09 zr1(showroom stock) is a 7.41 ring time.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Now, people still need to be aware of what they're buying when they get this thing, but, it's definitely more daily livable than the Gen5 Z...

I'm actually curious about this. Al O said they don't suggest it for street driving, so I imagine it's going to be really tough to live with lol. People say the RS is tough to live with, but in comparison I think it's going to be a Cadillac. Especially because some people already think the regular ZL1 rides rough with the magnetic dampers.

Either way, here is to hoping I see one on track.

HumanWiki

Established Member
I'm actually curious about this. Al O said they don't suggest it for street driving, so I imagine it's going to be really tough to live with lol. People say the RS is tough to live with, but in comparison I think it's going to be a Cadillac. Especially because some people already think the regular ZL1 rides rough with the magnetic dampers.

Either way, here is to hoping I see one on track.

I have a 2016 2SS and a 2017 ZL1 -- both auto. I will say that the ZL1 in Touring mode rides about like the SS in Sport mode.. So, the ZL1 suspension is a wee bit stiffer and there's only so much the MR can do. The DSSV v3 on the ZL1 1LE plus its setup will ride much firmer.

The DD aspect is the 3R tires, mostly (from what I know).. You don't want to drive those tires in below 50F or in damp/rain -- as the Corvette Z0x people with PS Cup2s found our (or know).. They're amazing in temp.. but, look out in cold/damp.

Even the GY F1 SuperCar Gen3 on my ZL1 have slight issues with standing water or damp conditions.. It's manageable, you just can't drive like a tool when it's wet.

I'm definitely hoping to see them on local tracks... and not just loitering at car shows.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a 2016 2SS and a 2017 ZL1 -- both auto. I will say that the ZL1 in Touring mode rides about like the SS in Sport mode.. So, the ZL1 suspension is a wee bit stiffer and there's only so much the MR can do. The DSSV v3 on the ZL1 1LE plus its setup will ride much firmer.

The DD aspect is the 3R tires, mostly (from what I know).. You don't want to drive those tires in below 50F or in damp/rain -- as the Corvette Z0x people with PS Cup2s found our (or know).. They're amazing in temp.. but, look out in cold/damp.

Even the GY F1 SuperCar Gen3 on my ZL1 have slight issues with standing water or damp conditions.. It's manageable, you just can't drive like a tool when it's wet.

I'm definitely hoping to see them on local tracks... and not just loitering at car shows.
I didn't know you could get supercar Gen3s yet. I'm really interested in that tire, I really like the gen2.

I don't have anything else to add, other than I hope they sell enough they push for another couple years of production, then the pricing plummets again for us normies lol.

HumanWiki

Established Member

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since resurfacing portions of the track, ALL of the times have gotten quicker, and I don't necessarily think you can give all the credit to the car.

The ZL1 1LE is a beast, no doubt. Next month a grassroots group is sending two 2017 Viper ACR-E's out there, I would venture to guess it'll be sub 6:50. I bet they get close to the lap record of 6:43 (production car).

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Since resurfacing portions of the track, ALL of the times have gotten quicker, and I don't necessarily think you can give all the credit to the car.

The ZL1 1LE is a beast, no doubt. Next month a grassroots group is sending two 2017 Viper ACR-E's out there, I would venture to guess it'll be sub 6:50. I bet they get close to the lap record of 6:43 (production car).
Hopefully they have a good track to do it on.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hopefully they have a good track to do it on.

It'll help that they're NA, but I imagine it's going to be pretty toasty out there.

They're bringing back the driver that set the record in 2009.

The Viper community is ridiculous. It's the tightest car group I have ever been around. They raised $180k in 6 months in order to send the cars and drivers to the Ring to set the record. To think that there are only 30k-ish Vipers in existence, that's a crazy amount of money to raise.

The last few years of cars sure has been fun to be around. Can't wait to see what the coming years bring.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

Indeed, they resurfaced 1600 feet of track at one of the roughest sectors. That certainly will improve times. They have also removed the speed limits they had in several sectors as well.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
So...why the games with the GT350R?
Did you mean why the production is so limited on the GT350Rs? I was watching an interview on Autoline that Carbon Revolution is producing the carbon fiber rims at full capacity. Furthermore, I believe Ford switched carbon fiber suppliers for the GT350(Used to be Plasan) and they were having difficulties with the new supplier.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Indeed, they resurfaced 1600 feet of track at one of the roughest sectors. That certainly will improve times. They have also removed the speed limits they had in several sectors as well.

Exactly. I'm not a fanboy for anyone... I mean, I own a Ford store and drive a Dodge...

But I really believe the 17 ACR-E is going to demolish the Ring next month.

Users who are viewing this thread