ZX3/5 vs SVT

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I believe that shipping a car costs about $400.00 or so, you could also make a road trip out of it and get a nice long test drive in to see how everything is.

A friend of mine drove from Minnesota to Washington state to pick up a car a few years ago.

Sapperstang

Established Member
My wife drives a 03 zx3 that we bought new (now has 150K on it) I picked up my 03 SVTF based on how great a car the zx3 is. The Zx3 is a much better car and much much much more reliable. The seats are more comfortable and the ride is much smoother. Overall it is simply a better car. With wheels and a tint job the zx3 is a good looking car. As soon as I can I am selling the svtf and we will keep the zx3. Performance over the zx3 is negligible. Believe me, you're not missing anything!

trevorx3

Established Member
My wife drives a 03 zx3 that we bought new (now has 150K on it) I picked up my 03 SVTF based on how great a car the zx3 is. The Zx3 is a much better car and much much much more reliable. The seats are more comfortable and the ride is much smoother. Overall it is simply a better car. With wheels and a tint job the zx3 is a good looking car. As soon as I can I am selling the svtf and we will keep the zx3. Performance over the zx3 is negligible. Believe me, you're not missing anything!

Any counter points or rebuttals to this?

qurtrn10

Established Member

***Disclaimer - I've only driven the SVTF, so I have a limited perspective***

In regards to the seats and interior, mine originally had the standard SVTF seats, which were very nice looking and comfortable:
DSC_0054.gif

Which I upgraded to the optional EAP seats - black leather Recaros with airbags and heaters built into the bottoms and lower backs:
DSC_0076-1.gif

I don't know what seats a regular ZX3 or ZX5 come with, but I can't imagine you would like them better than either of these.

As far as a smoother ride - I could see his point. I've never had a single complaint about not having a smooth ride, but if you drove each back to back, I would expect the SVT to have a stiffer, more sport oriented suspension, whereas the standard Focus would have a softer (smoother?) feel. Would the regular Focus be able to take corners the same way a SVT could? Definitely not, but if you are more interested in the smoothest ride, then that might not be a concern.

As for rims and tint making either one a good looking car - adding rims or tint won't do anything differently for a regular Focus than a SVT - for cosmetics, look at the differences - the bumpers, the side rocker panels, spoiler, etc... I don't think regular Focuses (Foci?) or 5 door SVTs are that attractive, but I love the lines of the 3 door SVTs. That's my opinion; you'll have your own.

I differ from Sapperstang on opinions about performance. My Lightning has 416rwhp and my mustang has 565rwhp. I think the SVTF should have come with a supercharger and about 250-300fwhp. I think most stock SVTs dyno around 145 to the wheels. That seems too low for what I like, and starting out with even less would kill me. When I want to pass someone on the highway, I don't want to have to plan it out 3 miles in advance in order to get up to speed. Sapperstang isn't wrong - he just feels differently. You;ll have to decide for yourself if power is an issue.

Keep us up to date - I ran across a beautiful yellow '04 SVTF with every option for $5200, but I knew it was a little out of your intended range.

Good luck!

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor

Yeah, he's wrong.

He has a car he's not happy with that has some issues and he has made it his lifes work to try to convince everyone he can that SVTFs are bad cars.

Well they aren't and they are in fact very good cars and of the four Foci I have owned the SVT is a far better car in virtually every way.

Are SVTFs perfect? No but mine has never failed me once in six years, 105,000 miles and temps as low as -30.

Last edited:

03#1965

Established Member
If you care nothing whatsoever about performance handling or quick motoring, stick with the basic ZX3 or 5 and save yourself the cost of buying a car with all those great pieces that make the SVTF what it is. Personally, I wish it had a 'sport' setting that would ramp the suspension up another notch for those extra-curvy road opportunities. (And you can call me 'gramps' if you want, since I'm pushing 57...just to put my opinion in some kind of context for you.)

trevorx3

Established Member
If you care nothing whatsoever about performance handling or quick motoring, stick with the basic ZX3 or 5 and save yourself the cost of buying a car with all those great pieces that make the SVTF what it is. Personally, I wish it had a 'sport' setting that would ramp the suspension up another notch for those extra-curvy road opportunities. (And you can call me 'gramps' if you want, since I'm pushing 57...just to put my opinion in some kind of context for you.)

I'm NOT looking for a vehicle to get me from point A to point B. I LOVE DRIVING and HATE automatics and cruise control. I want something that's fun to drive even if I'm not racing it or carving corners. I do however enjoy taking my vehicles out and revving them up and hitting the twisties occasionally.

I have a Kawasaki Ninja at the moment and want a fun to drive car with a decent amount of cargo space.

My ideal vehicle is light and agile but not straight up ballsy when it comes to straightline speed. If I didn't own a motorcycle, a Mazda Miata would be my first choice.

I'm not about having a comfy and smooth ride. I'd much prefer a sporty and stiffer suspension.

The cars I'm considering now are the Mazda Protege5, SVTF, and the Vibe GT. I ideally want a manual hatchback. A VW Golf would be nice but they are really expensive for how old they are because of VW resale value being high. Also, if I had the money I would be considering a Mini Cooper, Mazda3 or MazdaSpeed3, Subaru STi, or even a Lancer Sportback.

Do you guys have any suggestions about other cars I should be considering? If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Thanks guys =D

Sapperstang

Established Member
Yeah, he's wrong.

He has a car he's not happy with that has some issues and he has made it his lifes work to try to convince everyone he can that SVTFs are bad cars.

Well they aren't and they are in fact very good cars and of the four Foci I have owned the SVT is a far better car in virtually every way.

Are SVTFs perfect? No but mine has never failed me once in six years, 105,000 miles and temps as low as -30.

It isn't an issue of right or wrong. It is my opinion and I can express it just the same as you. Since we own both a SVT and a regular focus I can say I personally like the zx3 better. I guess since I have owned many cars, I can say that the SVTF is my least favorite. I don't just dislike the car because of its many issues, I would feel the same way if it was problem free. The car isn't that impressive in any aspect. I know you think they are the greatest thing on the road, but I don't.

qurtrn10,
No you don't. Sounds like we feel the exact same when it comes to performance. I've had cars that actually have power. The SVTF has little. If you want power look elsewhere. In my opinion these cars are less than impressive. I know saying that gets a couple guys on here all butthurt because they think these are the greatest thing on the road, but oh well. Get what you think will make you happy OP, I am just here to give you the opposite view based on my experience with the car.

Last edited:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
sapper stang is all butthurt about his SVT focus, and really needs to be banned from this section of the forums.

he does nothing but talk shit about his poor experiance with this great little car.

I have owned 7 Foci, 4 regular and 3 SVT....and also have had some kind of forced induction on both the regular car and the SVT.

The SVT seats are 10x better than the regular focus.

they both ride damn near the same (and handle great) on stock suspensions (if you modify them though, get coilovers, dont just throw a set of springs on it)

the MTX-75 in the regular focus is better for drag racing, and the 6-speed Getrag in the SVT is better for autocross/twisties.

the power difference (on STOCK engines) isnt that much (regular 105-115 whp, SVT 145'ish whp), and the regular zetecs are cheaper to modify than the SVT's.

They are great little cars, dont let someone who has a chip on their shoulder talk you out of a good purchase.

Sapperstang

Established Member
sapper stang is all butthurt about his SVT focus, and really needs to be banned from this section of the forums.

he does nothing but talk shit about his poor experiance with this great little car.

I have owned 7 Foci, 4 regular and 3 SVT....and also have had some kind of forced induction on both the regular car and the SVT.

The SVT seats are 10x better than the regular focus.

they both ride damn near the same (and handle great) on stock suspensions (if you modify them though, get coilovers, dont just throw a set of springs on it)

the MTX-75 in the regular focus is better for drag racing, and the 6-speed Getrag in the SVT is better for autocross/twisties.

the power difference (on STOCK engines) isnt that much (regular 105-115 whp, SVT 145'ish whp), and the regular zetecs are cheaper to modify than the SVT's.

They are great little cars, dont let someone who has a chip on their shoulder talk you out of a good purchase.

If you don't like my opinion I am sure there is an ignore option around here somewhere.

They are better seats yes, but in my opinion they are not more comfortable. Our zx3 IS a good car. But my svt is a piece of crap. I just don't feel the svt is that much more of a car than the regular zx3. If the OP can't get an SVT, he isn't missing much by getting a zx3. That's all I am saying.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Is anyone willing to reply to my question I asked above?

An SVT Focus sounds like exactly what you're looking for honestly.

They're a little underpowered but the power they have is really put to good use with the Gertrag six speed, the brakes are fantastic, the handling even on stock suspension far surpasses most other cars in it's class
and even beyond it's class.

It's all about momentum in these things, learn to drive the car and you can embarass much more expensive cars with relative ease.

Yeah, they're a little quirky at times but they are a riot to drive and they're solid little cars.

Not terribly difficult to work on, many parts interchange with a standard Focus and the stuff that's SVT specific you can find used or through me at the best prices you'll ever see on OEM parts.

trevorx3

Established Member
Alright, I'm focusing on finding an SVT Focus. Not a hasty hunt, just a quick look about every week or so. Just a slight interest so that I'll find the exact one I want. I'm also keeping an eye on Protege5s though.

Thanks for the help.

trevorx3

Established Member
What's the consensus on Honda Civic hatches? I kinda like the looks of the 90s models. But 'fun' would have to be a requirement. And I'd rather not pour any money into a vehicle to reach that 'fun' level.

Just wondering.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
A friend of mine drove from Minnesota to Washington state to pick up a car a few years ago.

Would that be Steve when he picked up the EAP? If it is, dont forget he flew to New Hampshire to scoop my RS :rolling:

@OP.....dont touch that thing. CL is okay, but you should also consider lurking FocalJet and FocusFanatics. Those guys treat their cars well, you can usually find them decently modded, and you will also receive member's input on ppl and vehicles they have experience with.

With that being said, if youre going for an SVTF, dont settle for less. Hold out for the EAP, they are out there and in good shape.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Would that be Steve when he picked up the EAP? If it is, dont forget he flew to New Hampshire to scoop my RS :rolling:

@OP.....dont touch that thing. CL is okay, but you should also consider lurking FocalJet and FocusFanatics. Those guys treat their cars well, you can usually find them decently modded, and you will also receive member's input on ppl and vehicles they have experience with.

With that being said, if youre going for an SVTF, dont settle for less. Hold out for the EAP, they are out there and in good shape.

Nope, Different guy.

So you had the RS before Steve? Have you seen it lately? It's REALLY coming along nicely!!

Steve took me and my son for a spin in the RS last fall and it was a riot.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
Nope, Different guy.

So you had the RS before Steve? Have you seen it lately? It's REALLY coming along nicely!!

Steve took me and my son for a spin in the RS last fall and it was a riot.

Yes sir, he sends me update pix all the time. Last I saw was the front lip and hood scoops. I was BlueHornet over on FocalJet. Was sad to see her go but was in a tough spot financially and I wanted to let the Lightning go but nobody was biting. I made him swear if he ever has to sell it to call me first :)

trevorx3

Established Member
04 focus SVT euro

I've found this one which is less than 30 miles away. It's an EAP but the problem is that it has 175,000 miles. He's the second owner and is selling it because he is in the military (Fort Riley atm) and is being relocated to Fort Bliss and has 4 cars.

He's put a stage 2 clutch in it. He replaced the ball joints and spindles and axles(?) because he had heard that they go bad at 180k or so. He also replaced the motor mount at the same time because it was going bad.

No way that I'll be paying the full asking price but is this worth considering?

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
04 focus SVT euro

I've found this one which is less than 30 miles away. It's an EAP but the problem is that it has 175,000 miles. He's the second owner and is selling it because he is in the military (Fort Riley atm) and is being relocated to Fort Bliss and has 4 cars.

He's put a stage 2 clutch in it. He replaced the ball joints and spindles and axles(?) because he had heard that they go bad at 180k or so. He also replaced the motor mount at the same time because it was going bad.

No way that I'll be paying the full asking price but is this worth considering?

Doesn't look bad, ask when the timing belt was last done though. It needs to be done every 90k or so.

Otherwise that's a pretty rare car, Screaming yellow five door. That's one of 66 yellow five doors built in 2004.

Plus it's got the HIDs, Recaros. Nothing wrong with high miles if it's been maintained.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread