Sold a Set of heads, now the guy wants his money back...

1996slowbra

Established Member
So a little bit of back-story. The valve seals on my cobra are going bad. Instead of paying 1500 dollars to have them replaced, I decided that I would just go ahead and do a C head swap at the same time.

So about 2 weeks later I pick up a set of heads from a guy in my area. He tells me that they have 30k miles on them and they were pulled off of an 01 cobra. I had no reason to disbelieve him so i picked up the heads and intake for $600. About a week later I ended up finding a really good deal on a 97 supercharged roller, so needless to say I picked that up and swapped it in instead.

I put the C-heads up for sale and this individual ends up picking them up for 300 dollars. I told him when he bought them that I had never used them and just repeated what the other guy had told me.

Fast forward a month, he says that he took the heads to a shop and that they were "blown" (bad intake and exhaust seals) and that it cost him $1200 to rebuild them. He says that he wants me to pay him back for the $300 he bought the heads for, and that he would give me his stripped original C heads (which are bad) in return.

Part of me feels like he is just trying to get $300 out of me. If he had called me when the shop told him they were bad I might be a bit more inclined to believe him but now they are already on the car. He also said that his uncle is a cop and If i don't get it back he will get my personal information from my cell phone number and make me give him the money.

TLDR Guy bought heads month later after they are on car says they are bad, wants $300 from me.

I don't want to screw this guy over if they actually were bad, but when he threatened to show up at my house it really pissed me off. Not to mention he doesn't call me until after he already has them on the car.

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
honestly how do you know those arnt the bad heads he had and he just wants them for free.. thats a sticky situation no matter how you look at it.. some stuff doesnt add up but in the beggining you should have checked the heads out but your story makes sense as to why you didnt.. but i agree he should have given you a call 2 seconds after the shop told him.. id say sorry dude you got used heads you should have checked them at time of pickup and you never used them

SVTPete83

Established Member
Used parts are used parts. If you are the buyer you need to know what you're looking for in a purchase. Dude paid 300 for a set of heads. What did he expect? I would tell him def no refund and to kick rocks. If his buddy is a cop I makes no difference. You can't be held liable for anything here

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
get his uncle the cop involved and make you give him his money back? sounds like official oppression lol.....

CowlHood

Established Member
Lol is he serious? Tell him to go shove them up his #*$. Keep any record of him threatening you and record any convos incase he trys to pull some shit.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Use as is. That is the risk you take buying used. I would not do nothing for him. I myself only buy used to avoid these types of situations!

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Definitely a sticky situation. Like said before its an as-is sale when dealing with "used" parts. The only way he could get his money back would be if there was any kind of proof that you told him they were in 100% working order. Otherwise it all comes back to an as-is sale, even if you told him to the best of your knowledge they were in working condition. Sounds more like this guys blowing smoke out his ass. It sucks but I'd tell him tuff shit. Same thing happened to my buddy when selling a used block. Good luck op

Machdup1

Established Member
Fast forward a month, he says that he took the heads to a shop and that they were "blown" (bad intake and exhaust seals) and that it cost him $1200 to rebuild them. He says that he wants me to pay him back for the $300 he bought the heads for, and that he would give me his stripped original C heads (which are bad) in return.

He had the heads inspected by a professional who told him that they needed additional work to make them like new.

At that point he had two choices. He could have contacted you and asked you to nullify the original deal (refund). Then you could have decided if you wanted to go that route.

He choose the second route which was to accept the damage and have the heads repaired. In doing so, he finalized the deal. Game over.

You held up your end of the deal and now he is trying to rip you off.

His only option is that he can take the heads off of his car and return the heads that you sold him, that are now newly rebuilt, and you will return the money after a complete inspection of the rebuilt heads.

After he tells you no, politely tell him that contract for the heads has been executed and is now complete. And ignore him.

1996slowbra

Established Member
He had the heads inspected by a professional who told him that they needed additional work to make them like new.

At that point he had two choices. He could have contacted you and asked you to nullify the original deal (refund). Then you could have decided if you wanted to go that route.

He choose the second route which was to accept the damage and have the heads repaired. In doing so, he finalized the deal. Game over.

You held up your end of the deal and now he is trying to rip you off.

His only option is that he can take the heads off of his car and return the heads that you sold him, that are now newly rebuilt, and you will return the money after a complete inspection of the rebuilt heads.

After he tells you no, politely tell him that contract for the heads has been executed and is now complete. And ignore him.

I think I am going to tell him this.

I wouldn't have had a problem with it if he had called me Right when he got the heads looked at. But here it is a month later and he is trying to get money out of me after the work is already done. Whole story sounds like BS to me.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
He can not get your personal information, that's an immature response and makes me believe he is just trying to scam you. Tell him to pound sand its the risk you take buying used .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fast ford brian

Established Member
It's not like you sold him a shitty set of heads for $1600 . He sounds like a scammer / loser. I wouldn't expect perfect any way for $300.

Users who are viewing this thread