Boss 302 Quad Pipes on a GT500

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thank you, gentlemen. Now let's get to it.

I started back up on the passenger side, mocking everything in place and then making a few tack welds.

IMG_9071.jpg

I finally had the entire "Pseudo-Boss/H-pipe" assembly tacked up. I could now remove it and weld everything up. I made a narrow root pass at each fillet before making a second pass. I wanted a healthy fillet what with the pipe being cantilevered off of the original exhaust system.

Trying to mig with 308L (stainless) wire was becoming a challenge as I didn't use a helium gas mix - just a CO2/Argon mix which isn't optimized for stainless. Even with my Miller mig set for sheetmetal, the wire and base material turn to an orange glow very quickly. My weave pattern became one of alternating the trigger on and off before trying to move too far (1/4" or so) or I'd burn through. Not a big deal as I did it quite a bit but stainless is easy to crater back up rapidly.

I also "hopscotched" from one side to another to minimize flange warpage. Once done, I did a quick scuff with some medium sanding foam and hit the welded in sections with a quick coat of stove paint. I was interested to see any heat pattern that might be evidenced by discoloration or peel where I painted as well as providing a contrasting color for comparing the Boss H-section to the GT500 assembly via an overlay (which you'll see later).

Anyway, here's the PHRP H-pipe that I had previously welded up and now stubbed ala the 2012 Boss...

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9076.jpg

IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_9078.jpg

I had been itching to get the pipe off if for anything, an inspection of the cats. The Whipple I added over a year ago was supposed to be set up in "safe mode" what with the fat and lazy ProCal tune I'm running. I was happy to see they look the same as they did before the blower upgrade.

IMG_9081.jpg

I remember seeing 7 to 10 specks in the honeycomb the last time I had the pipe off, just as I saw today.

IMG_9083.jpg

I was interested in seeing how the GT500 pipe compared to the Boss section. My assembly ended up being a bit wider...

IMG_9084.jpg

IMG_9085.jpg

Adjusted with the end lengths matched up...

IMG_9087.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

I kept mental track of the flange clocking but didn't go all-out scientific on ensuring mine perfectly matched to Boss pipes. I don't know how much rotation the Quicktime valve/plate assembly can stand before floorpan clearance becomes an issue so I wanted to be close to original.

IMG_9094.jpg

IMG_9095.jpg

With the sun going down I really wanted to slip underneath the car and get the pipe assembly back in place. There's that one O2 sensor on the passenger side that is difficult to wrench into place, requiring a mastery of automotive Braille. Once in, I added the quad pipes as well as the original Boss steel shim gaskets and 1/2" spacer.

:banana:

IMG_9096.jpg

IMG_9097.jpg

My gut sense was on. Turning the key, the car emitted a very light cackle upon initial fireup - as always. I got out and held my hand in front of each pipe. As I had read previously, there really isn't much flow from the side pipes. I'd equate what I felt to holding my hand about 6 inches away from the wife's hairdryer on medium. Upon revving, there is a subtle burble that I've heard from the Boss cars without any attenuation plates in place (I forgot to mention that I bolted everything up without using the restrictor plates I had purchased).

I have to say - I'm really not into loud exhaust systems (anymore, anyway:)), but the quad pipes running without restriction sound the way the car should come right from the dealer. Which leads me to ponder...If I don't need to close up the system, what do I need the cutout valves for? I'm already planning to whip up some custom, one-off quad pipes, with no resonator inside. Much louder than these, making a shutoff necessary. Part of my devious plan will be to open the valves when sitting next to a someone jawing on their cell while next to me at a red light. That, or I'll keep a cellular frequency jammer on in my pocket.

I'm charging my phone battery so I won't have any sound file up until tomorrow. I think most will find the sound to be a nice touch. This one was time consuming but worth the effort if for nothing but to be different.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Blown Mod Audio

Ya know, maybe I'm getting old, but I've yet to hear any of Ford's modern day Modular motors offer up "the burble" that just about every modified OHV engine used to make. The Track Key comes close (very close) but still falls short by >that< much. Headers, catted or catless, _________'s (insert favorite system of your choice) catback....they all sound the same to me. The voices in my head play the oft repeated clip...

th_JetsonSchleppy.jpg

:-D

I hear far more warble than burble, even with the H-pipe, KR mufflers, 725 horse Whipple...

th_VIDEO0018.jpg

While I haven't found the cure, I think the side exhaust exudes a bit more brutality than what exits at the rear. Far from perfect, but something in the right direction. Lots of ideas brewing in my head and I'm not sure where that will take me with this. Regardless, here is a quick clip that (as internet audio clips normally do) fails to reproduce the aural improvement in real life...

th_VIDEO0022.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm in the northeast and with temp's in the 40's and rain, you'll have to allow me the luxury of waiting for some better conditions. I work outside most of the day no matter what the conditions are, so when I get home I'm usually in casual research mode instead of cold/wet/beat up mode. I'll come up with something.

Speaking of research, I picked up Donald Farr's Mustang Boss 302: From Racing Legend To Modern Muscle Car book. Excellent read that I'd recommend to any Ford muscle enthusiast. Looks like Mr Carney really did his homework with regards the the Boss Quad system. From a successful internal sales pitch to fabricating numerous prototype systems at home - very impressive. You can peruse the book here...

Mustang Boss 302: From Racing Legend ... - Donald Farr, Parnelli Jones - Google Books

Zoom button is located upper left...

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Coming from a Blackhawk pilot, that means a lot. Thanks Ken.

My order from Quick Time Performance came in today. The cutout system should be mandatory for all Boss owners. Downright righteous hardware...

Comes standard with an extra lengthy harness that uses switched power and ground. It utilizes a simple toggle switch that can be mounted most anywhere...

IMG_9099.jpg

Just because I ordered the optional wireless remote system as well. Absolutely first class hardware

IMG_9105.jpg

Remote(s) illuminate when powering up the electronic butterflies

IMG_9107.jpg

The billet machined plates and motors make for an impressive unit. I liken holding one in your hand to holding a loaded 44 mag. It is substantial and precisely machined

IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9122.jpg

IMG_9125.jpg

IMG_9127.jpg

The plan now involves making my own set of quad pipes, either unrestricted or with a much larger internal resonator. That way I could extend the range of sound from what is currently still very sedate. I absolutely have to incorporate these valves!

So everyone could get a better feel for what I'm talking about, I posted up a couple of videos that show them powered up. I simply hooked the power and ground leads to the battery and operated them via the standard toggle switch...

th_VIDEO0023.jpg

th_VIDEO0025.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread