Boss 302 Quad Pipes on a GT500

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
those cut outs look like they're REALLY nice quality. very cool that they sell wireless remotes too!

BTW, i saw an article(or something) a few years back about a ford GT with straight pipes. the guy(s) working on it needed to quiet it down a little, so he/they made a removable muffler/resonator of sorts that slides inside the straight pipe. it was really simple, just a louvered pipe with fiberglass wrapping. i'll have to try to find that page.

Speaking of research, I picked up Donald Farr's Mustang Boss 302: From Racing Legend To Modern Muscle Car book. Excellent read that I'd recommend to any Ford muscle enthusiast. Looks like Mr Carney really did his homework with regards the the Boss Quad system. From a successful internal sales pitch to fabricating numerous prototype systems at home - very impressive. You can peruse the book here...

Mustang Boss 302: From Racing Legend ... - Donald Farr, Parnelli Jones - Google Books

Zoom button is located upper left...
it really seems like there is some renewed passion in all areas at ford since mulally arrived. from the raptor absolutely setting the bar for performance capability with a warranty, to one of the engineers fabbing up the 5.0l headers at his house, taking the GT500 to the next level with the SVTPP when there still wasn't any competition, and now to this guy really pushing for the quad exhaust on the boss(not to mention the LS edition boss package setting a new level for a track focused car). hell, we could keep going with the taurus SHO(did anyone actually expect that?), focus ST, fiesta ST, etc.
i think this may be the most passionate crew at ford since the peak of the muscle car era! SVT was obviously doing great work under john coletti, but the rest of the ford(US) was lacking bad! i just can't wait to see what else we get from this apparently rejuvenated ford!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
An update of sorts.

I had a few individuals contact me regarding doing something similar on their own car. I've mulled over a plethora of different scenario's or possible combinations and I think that in the end, the application that lends itself well for a modification such as this one is an '11/'12 (possibly the '13 as well). What follows are a few reasons as to why.

To begin with, the tube diameter at the 'H' section is the same between the '11/'12 GT500 and the '12/'13 Boss 302 at 2-3/4" OD. A 2-1/2" '07-'10 system would be almost 100% custom, aside from remains of the cat pipe sections and the factory Boss quad pipes. The tube centers aft of the crossover are identical as well (the '07-'10 system is narrower at the 'X' exit).

With that in mind, I'm helping bpodner (Brad) adapt the Boss 302 'H' section/side pipes to his '11 GT500 convertible. He's in Texas and I'm in NY, I don't have an '11/'12 up on a lift to reference, ragtop GT500's have additional chassis bracing that occupy the same space that the Boss exit tips need to fasten to, etc....hopefully the mod Gods go easy on us. Brad purchased FRPP's M-5220-MB "MUSTANG GT SIDE EXHAUST" kit and sent me the 'H' section for modification.

M-5220-MB.jpg

2011-2013 MUSTANG GT SIDE EXHAUST | Part Details for M-5220-MB | Ford Racing Performance Parts

I'm working under the assumption (a big assumption but not entirely unreasonable) that the Boss 'H' section terminates at the same point relative to the S197 chassis as the GT500. If they do, the side pipes should bolt right up at each end. The biggest obstacle is making the section before the crossover line up so that it can be cut/clamped without misalignment. The following shot should help to explain...

______GT500matedtoBossHsectionalongwithaddedquadpipes.jpg

Looks to be very close!

Brad sent me the 'H' section last week and I spent some time on it today.

IMAG0531.jpg

The kit comes with a blockoff plate that the Boss doesn't get.

IMAG0491.jpg

It also came 'dressed' by an employee that probably shouldn't be handling a die grinder...

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0494.jpg

The machine welds look to be fine. The 'human' welds, while functional, leave quite a bit to be desired.

IMAG0492.jpg

Remember, this a mass produced exhaust component, something the general public usually never sees or gets the opportunity to complain about. It is mandrel bent, 409 stainless, machine/human welded. A polished 304 stainless system, it ain't.

IMAG0502.jpg

Before cutting anything I spent some time verifying stock '11/'12 pipe angles via a tape and and a set of inside and outside radius gauges I just picked up.

IMG_9509.jpg

There'll be more cutting as well as welding on some 409 stainless tubing extensions once the material I ordered arrives. Until then, I'm here...

IMAG0534.jpg

Here it is sitting atop a '11 'H' pipe, the same as what Brad will be cutting soon...

IMAG0542.jpg

I'll have more once my favorite UPS man stops by.

Tob

Last edited:

2Sharpie

Established Member
Tob,

Would cars with full aftermarket exhaust, for example an American Racing H, change the ability of using your set-up??

Venom12

Established Member
Those welds look horrible. Then again I work at the factory that makes them, so I'm not surprised. That's what we call a "good" weld.:nonono:

IA Shelby

Established Member
An update of sorts.

I had a few individuals contact me regarding doing something similar on their own car. I've mulled over a plethora of different scenario's or possible combinations and I think that in the end, the application that lends itself well for a modification such as this one is an '11/'12 (possibly the '13 as well). What follows are a few reasons as to why.

To begin with, the tube diameter at the 'H' section is the same between the '11/'12 GT500 and the '12/'13 Boss 302 at 2-3/4" OD. A 2-1/2" '07-'10 system would be almost 100% custom, aside from remains of the cat pipe sections and the factory Boss quad pipes. The tube centers aft of the crossover are identical as well (the '07-'10 system is narrower at the 'X' exit).

With that in mind, I'm helping bpodner (Brad) adapt the Boss 302 'H' section/side pipes to his '11 GT500 convertible. He's in Texas and I'm in NY, I don't have an '11/'12 up on a lift to reference, ragtop GT500's have additional chassis bracing that occupy the same space that the Boss exit tips need to fasten to, etc....hopefully the mod Gods go easy on us. Brad purchased FRPP's M-5220-MB "MUSTANG GT SIDE EXHAUST" kit and sent me the 'H' section for modification.

M-5220-MB.jpg

2011-2013 MUSTANG GT SIDE EXHAUST | Part Details for M-5220-MB | Ford Racing Performance Parts

I'm working under the assumption (a big assumption but not entirely unreasonable) that the Boss 'H' section terminates at the same point relative to the S197 chassis as the GT500. If they do, the side pipes should bolt right up at each end. The biggest obstacle is making the section before the crossover line up so that it can be cut/clamped without misalignment. The following shot should help to explain...

______GT500matedtoBossHsectionalongwithaddedquadpipes.jpg

Looks to be very close!

Brad sent me the 'H' section last week and I spent some time on it today.

IMAG0531.jpg

The kit comes with a blockoff plate that the Boss doesn't get.

IMAG0491.jpg

It also came 'dressed' by an employee that probably shouldn't be handling a die grinder...

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0494.jpg

The machine welds look to be fine. The 'human' welds, while functional, leave quite a bit to be desired.

IMAG0492.jpg

Remember, this a mass produced exhaust component, something the general public usually never sees or gets the opportunity to complain about. It is mandrel bent, 409 stainless, machine/human welded. A polished 304 stainless system, it ain't.

IMAG0502.jpg

Before cutting anything I spent some time verifying stock '11/'12 pipe angles via a tape and and a set of inside and outside radius gauges I just picked up.

IMG_9509.jpg

There'll be more cutting as well as welding on some 409 stainless tubing extensions once the material I ordered arrives. Until then, I'm here...

IMAG0534.jpg

Here it is sitting atop a '11 'H' pipe, the same as what Brad will be cutting soon...

IMAG0542.jpg

I'll have more once my favorite UPS man stops by.

Tob

Tob thanks again for your pursuit of excellence! Watching closely as I have a 2011 vert as well!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tob,

Would cars with full aftermarket exhaust, for example an American Racing H, change the ability of using your set-up??

Any pipes with similar dimensions can be made to work. Simply a matter of more time and effort the more any setup deviates from stock.

Those welds look horrible. Then again I work at the factory that makes them, so I'm not surprised. That's what we call a "good" weld.:nonono:

Do you work for Faurecia?

Tob thanks again for your pursuit of excellence! Watching closely as I have a 2011 vert as well!

Well, there are many roads here. I'm probably taking the longest one with the most obstacles on it! And I'm fine with that. As far as convertibles are concerned, the biggest (non) issue is the fact that you have to space the exit tip down via spacers or washers at its fastener location. As FRPP words it...

FRPP said:
Can be used on the 2011-2013 Mustang GT Convertible with a spacer and longer bolt (not included) to attach the side pipe under the convertible brace

Anyhow, I got rained out at work so I got started with the intention of finishing up the pipe so I could get it into Brad's hands ASAP. If I may, I'm going to go into all business mode...

I need to get the remaining Boss 'H' section to mirror the '11/'12 GT500 section (underneath).

IMAG0553.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg

I chose a number that worked and made a cut line. Once cut, I also took an angled slice from the small cutoff section in order to reorient it to match the radius on the '11/'12 GT500 pipe...

IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0557.jpg

The radius match came out well. Now note that the end of the pipe needs a square cut put onto it...

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg

Withe the ends squared up, I can now cut a straight length of tube to add onto each forward leg (~4" in this case)...

IMAG0566.jpg

IMAG0561.jpg

IMAG0568.jpg

I spent quite a bit of time cleaning all the oil and assembly 'grime' from the pipe assembly as well as cleaning the ends to be welded to each other. The plan was to TIG and that is one process that won't work well with impurities.

Welding took quite a bit. There were some tight areas that offered a challenge as well as some difficulty in positioning the assembly for welding access. I had no choice but to fuse the assembly in segments. I admit to touching the Tungsten to the work a number of times. Each time you have to stop and regrind it. It was a pleasure doing so with the Tungsten grinder I picked up a short time ago...

IMAG0569.jpg

IMAG0571-1.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

The Boss/GT500 hybrid assemblies are now a match...

IMAG0574.jpg

I then boxed up the assembly for shipment to Brad. He's taking the baton at this point and will have to cut his existing '11 GT500 H-pipe assembly and then clamp this one in its place. Here's hoping my assumptions regarding exhaust system length are correct! Good luck Brad.

IMAG0583.jpg

Tob

Last edited:

bpodner

My work car!
Established Member
Standing by on this end Tob!!! :banana: Since sending off the Boss H pipe, I have sourced the needed Torca clamps (x2) from Tousley, longer bolts (M10 1.50 x 50mm to start with), spacers, washers, and a new blade for the saw.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
In a nutshell, once your car is safely up in the air and you can slip underneath:

- Temporarily affix the Boss 'H' section to the bottom of your GT500 H-pipe after you've unclamped the midpipes and pushed them aside. You can wire it up tightly or use bungee cords. Make sure the two pipes line up at the rear and then mark the front of the 'H' assembly.

- cut, clamp in the 'H' section, and then bolt in the side pipes. Due to the convertible bracing forcing your sidepipes down a bit, you may find you need to release the sidepipe clamps (located about halfway down each sidepipe) so that you can lengthen it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in there Brad!

On edit....Rob used a similar method to add his PHRP pipe to his earlier GT500. Similar install in theory, except he left his rear clamps in place when he made his marks. Unless you know exactly where your assembly ends, I suggest sliding the clamps rearward just to be sure.

KRMufflersH-Pipe037.jpg

His thread at Team Shleppy...
http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/41998-my-h-pipe-and-kr-mufflers-sound-clip/

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Much appreciated gentlemen. The greatest satisfaction for me will come from watching Brad work it on his end.

Keep that camera handy Brad!

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Sounds like us pre-2011's are stuck with H pipes only......:cryying:

Like others have said already...gotta love Tob's write ups!

Good luck with the install and I can't wait to hear it...:coolman:

peteypab2133

Established Member
Holy crap thats a lot of work!!! Nice job...

I would take it all back apart and replicate them and earn your R&D back.

bpodner

My work car!
Established Member
Install time!!!

The install was done in my garage with the car on ramps and jack stands. I only used basic tools and a 25 year old sawzall.
The only things I needed to get supply wise, besides Tob's masterpiece of metal marvel, were 2 M10 1.50 x 70mm bolts (Fastenal), 2x 5/8" x 1" spacers (Lowe's), 4x 3/8" flat washers (Lowe's), 2x 2 3/4" Torca clamps (Tousley's), and the rest of the quad pipe kit (BuyFordRacing).
Total install time was about 3 hours and 3 beers. It would take a normal person less time but I have to stop and move, bad back.

img0477z.jpg

Top of pic is the front of car. Left side is outside of passenger side.

This it what complicated the install somewhat. Verts have a brace that mounts in the same place the exhaust tip does. Bottom left bolt is where the exhaust will mount and the supplied bolt will not work. The exhaust also crosses over the top right bolt, which hangs down about 3/4" lower than the mounting point.

bpodner

My work car!
Established Member
This is what I got from Tob! His welds are MUCH better than the factory welds. Think it was take your pet monkey to work day...

img0474fr.jpg

bpodner

My work car!
Established Member
If you notice on Tob's under car shots, the Boss doesn't have the rear air deflectors. The exhaust would melt them so they gotta go!
img0476kf.jpg

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Great, I can't wait to read what you think about the sound. I'm running GT500 axelbacks and 7/8" discs and I get compliments on my exhaust note all the time. Just this past weekend I pulled into a gas station (barely idling with TracKey) and the guy next to me said he thought it was the best sounding exhaust he's ever heard. "I don't know what they did to that exhaust but they nailed it." Was he driving a Prius? Nope a C6. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread