Built Motor!!!!!!!!!!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Okay then if you aren't going to push over 700hp then why port the heads. They just aren't needed unless you're going to go for big power.

I agree Brian,but if moneys no object.Way easier will it`s apart now.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
I'm not shooting for 700hp...I might (probably won't) buy a whipple after a while...I'm definatly not buying cams either..I just want to know if you were me, would you get the heads ported? BTW: Money is kinda tight now.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
If $500 would be a problem then i would'nt port the heads. Ask the guys at HP what they think and go from there...both Steve and Chris know what they're doing:beer:.

Jroc

Established Member
Whats wrong with JE pistons? Have people been having problems with them?

My local shop recommends Manley pistons. In all honesty I think you would probably be just fine using piston from any big aftermarket piston company.(Manley, Mahle, JE, Diamond, CP, Arias, etc)

BTW if you cam swing it I would get the heads ported, and then when you can afford it I would cam it. JMO.

Last edited:

iBiTe03

Established Member
if your not looking to go twin screw and not looking to make big power like you were saying then i would spend the 500 on something else. Maybe and extra set of tires for when you get that built motor back in lol

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
There is nothing wrong with JE pistons, they have been in the game for quite awhile now.
Yeah, I'd port the heads and do cams if you can swing it.

DREAMCOMETRUE

Established Member
Well i took my car into the shop because of it's ticking issue. This is what i'm having them do.

JE 0.20 over pistons/rings 17cc 4v
Fedral Mogul Rod/Main bearings
ARP Main studs
FMS oil pump
Billet Oil pump gears
ARP head stud kit 12point
Head gasket, intake,exhaust, frt cover
Valve job 4v
head cooling mod
check chain, guides, tensioners
Custom Tune w/Dyno/Wideband
Bore&Hone wplates, Balance, hang pistons, polish crank, clean &
polish block, assemble short block,

I can pay $500 more to get the heads ported. Should i get them ported or not?

Im having mine built also,almost identical work will be done on mine. JE here also, recomended by my builder too. Head will be ported and Stage III comp cams is going in.

Good luck:rockon:

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Im having mine built also,almost identical work will be done on mine. JE here also, recomended by my builder too. Head will be ported and Stage III comp cams is going in.

Good luck:rockon:

Awesome. I think i'm going to have them port the heads. If i don't i'll probably buy some M/T drag radials.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Okay then if you aren't going to push over 700hp then why port the heads. They just aren't needed unless you're going to go for big power.

I agree Brian,but if moneys no object.Way easier will it`s apart now.

I'm not shooting for 700hp...I might (probably won't) buy a whipple after a while...I'm definatly not buying cams either..I just want to know if you were me, would you get the heads ported? BTW: Money is kinda tight now.

If $500 would be a problem then i would'nt port the heads. Ask the guys at HP what they think and go from there...both Steve and Chris know what they're doing:beer:.

I talked to them about porting the heads and they said i wouldn't notice a gain unless i go Twin Screw.

should i get them ported or not?

Read those responses and you have your answer. If you aren't going Twin Screw with some higher boost or a large ts like a 2.8 or 3.4 then I wouldn't port the heads. Don't put your $500 to something else just save it.

iBiTe03

Established Member
There is nothing wrong with JE pistons, they have been in the game for quite awhile now.
Yeah, I'd port the heads and do cams if you can swing it.

i dont think anyone said there is anything wrong with JE pistons, Diamond just seems the better route to go and preferred by more people

Impact 5.0

Established Member
Read those responses and you have your answer. If you aren't going Twin Screw with some higher boost or a large ts like a 2.8 or 3.4 then I wouldn't port the heads. Don't put your $500 to something else just save it.

As my motor guy said.. Port the heads or add 2 pounds of boost.. which one is cheaper.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
They said they are going to start the tear-down the first week of March...I'm going to stop by every once in a while and take some pix.

Users who are viewing this thread