Difference in a vert an a coupe?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ok guys im new to the this site an cobras but im gettting a vert! I just wanted to know of any pros n cons to the coupe? Thanks

EDITED in the interest of "world peace".

Last edited by a moderator:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Coupes are race cars, verts are toys.

having one of each I would have to say there is a lot of truth in this. To make a 'vert truly track worthy it will look like shit when you are done.

SneakySnake23

Representing Winnipeg Mb
Established Member
Also something no one has mentioned is you have to put in a roll bar/cage when running slower times. I'm not sure about NHRA, but up here IHRA rules are 12.49 for a vert and 11.49 for a coupe. I'm not too sure, it may even be 13.49. Either way another thing to consider.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
PROS:
- Convertible Top (obviously)
- Sporty Look (especially with light bar or roll bar)
- Easy to Clean Interior (with top down)
- Chicks Love Verts
- Verts can double as a pickup truck with oblong boxes (i.e. TV in back seat with top down)
- Bald spot in hair gets a suntan
- Dukes of Hazzard entry easier with top down
- Messes wife's hair up

CONS:
- Road Noise (you hear EVERYTHING)
- Insurance is more costly
- You're probably dead if you end up on the roof in an accident
- Water Leaks over time with wear and tear
- Bouncy Ride vs. Coupe
- Bird poop has the right of way
- Bugs and road debris don't care if your top is down
- Loose objects or papers will eject at high speeds

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
you are either a convertible person or you aren't.....period

with minimal modifications, any vert can be made just as stiff and any coupe. It's all about preferences and goals.

dsmith26

Established Member
Take a shoe box without the lid on and twist it. Now put the lid on and twist it. You can imagine that's what your car with no top is doing.

Personally, my '86 ruined me from ever wanting another Vert.
1) you can't have a nice stereo or leave anything in the car. you must leave it unlocked all the time or risk someone slashing the roof
2) not that i would do this, but many would. no drive thru car washes, must be hand washed
3) as previously said, leaks, noisey, and not visually appealing from the inside with the top up
4) New top will run you around 1300.00 installed. They tend to need replacing every 6 to 8 years.

All that being said, you can't go wrong with a Terminator regardless. :beer:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I love my vert!

That said......I would not have it for a daily driver. Just my opinion.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ok guys im new to the this site an cobras but im gettting a vert! I just wanted to know of any pros n cons to the coupe? Thanks

If you want a vert that is the car you should buy regardless of what others say including me.

Considering the pros and cons of owning one over a coup?

YOU WILL NEVER SEE A HIGH PERFORMANCE CONVERTIBLE IN MY GARAGE!

There are so many compromises made on that chassis on so many levels the disadvantages far out weigh the ah.......... :idea: oh yea it's nice to "slow boat" down to the beach with the top down :rockon:

Get a V6 car with a slushbox

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
comments in blue below

CONS:
- Road Noise (you hear EVERYTHING) true
- Insurance is more costly not necessarily. My insurance is about the same on both coupe and 'vert.
- You're probably dead if you end up on the roof in an accident true but everyone has to die sometime
- Water Leaks over time with wear and tear haven't had this issue with any of the 'verts I have owned but then I take care of my cars
- Bouncy Ride vs. Coupe not if you do the proper suspension mods which most 03/04 owners do
- Bird poop has the right of way yeah but only time I have ever had an issue is when I parked under a tree and left the top down
- Bugs and road debris don't care if your top is down keep your teeth below the windshield line and this isn't a problem
- Loose objects or papers will eject at high speeds more incentive to take care and keep it cleaned out

Take a shoe box without the lid on and twist it. Now put the lid on and twist it. You can imagine that's what your car with no top is doing. again only if you don't do the suspension mods. I guarantee you that my 04 'vert drives just as stiff as my 95 coupe.

Personally, my '86 ruined me from ever wanting another Vert.
1) you can't have a nice stereo or leave anything in the car. you must leave it unlocked all the time or risk someone slashing the roof not true I had a Mach1000 in my 02 GT 'vert never had an issue. used to park another 'vert I owned in down town DC every saturday night (9th st just up from constitution for those who may be familar) and never had an issue with top down or top up.
2) not that i would do this, but many would. no drive thru car washes, must be hand washed true
3) as previously said, leaks, noisey, and not visually appealing from the inside with the top up I have no issues with my 04 'vert being noisy or not visually appealing from the inside. and leaks have yet to be a problem
4) New top will run you around 1300.00 installed. They tend to need replacing every 6 to 8 years. if you take care of them you can get 10-12 years easily out of modern tops

All that being said, you can't go wrong with a Terminator regardless. :beer: 100% agreed

dsmith26

Established Member
Is your '04 your first Vert?? I can't help but wonder how you became such the expert considering it's only 7 years old... Not having anything stolen, I would call that lucky. Not to mention, you're only one Carrie Underwood away from a new top. My '86 leaks right in the center where it meets the windshield, on a rainy day, you get a nice puddle in the console under the E-Brake. Just a few drops, but it does leak enough you wouldn't want your insurance card laying there. I've put 2 tops on my '86 and it is rarely driven and well kept. The problem is the glass begins to fall out of the top and you can't just replace the glass.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Is your '04 your first Vert?? I can't help but wonder how you became such the expert considering it's only 7 years old... Not having anything stolen, I would call that lucky. Not to mention, you're only one Carrie Underwood away from a new top. My '86 leaks right in the center where it meets the windshield, on a rainy day, you get a nice puddle in the console under the E-Brake. Just a few drops, but it does leak enough you wouldn't want your insurance card laying there. I've put 2 tops on my '86 and it is rarely driven and well kept. The problem is the glass begins to fall out of the top and you can't just replace the glass.

A former owner of a Fox body vert :eek:

.......no wonder you are so traumatized :nonono:

SOMEBODY GET THIS MAN A BURGER!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

WOW mass assumptions and all of them wrong. I have owned 4 'verts. 2 chryslers and 2 fords. 89, 91, 02 and 04. I am fully aware that you can't just replace the glass. I am thinking that maybe you shouldn't be yammering about my lack of experience when you are basing all of your comments on a single experience.

dsmith26

Established Member
Haha. Thanks. Actually I still own it. It was my wife's car when we met and she still wants it (although she never drives it!) so it's a permenent addition to the family. I love the looks of the car and the little stock 302 can be fun to zip around town but like I said, will never buy a Vert because of it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
WOW mass assumptions and all of them wrong. I have owned 4 'verts. 2 chryslers and 2 fords. 89, 91, 02 and 04. I am fully aware that you can't just replace the glass. I am thinking that maybe you shouldn't be yammering about my lack of experience when you are basing all of your comments on a single experience.

ever seen what happens to a vert in a head on collision or brought to a stop by a tree? :uh oh: ......it ain't pretty :nonono:

now add a 600 hp engine to the mix :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread