Difference in a vert an a coupe?

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Not sure myself....that's WHY I have one of each!!!! :D

I agree.

My thoughts is im a big fanof driving with the top down,but IMHO i think they are ugly as sin with the top up,xD

Well I was thinking on the same lines of having one of each.

And as far as looking that them with the top up I agree. Thats why I picked the Saleen tonneau cover, I think that changes the looks a ton.

Home07.jpg

Snake Plissken

Established Member
OP, I never owned a rag top so I can't comment on performance. I just don't care for the looks, top up or down.

Last edited by a moderator:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Well I was thinking on the same lines of having one of each.

And as far as looking that them with the top up I agree. Thats why I picked the Saleen tonneau cover, I think that changes the looks a ton.

Home07.jpg

do you ever take the cover off and drive it? I was seriously thinking of doing what you did but just not sure I want to have to drill the holes necessary.

mach1033

Established Member
Some of the posts are funny in here. You know like dont get a vert cause if you get into a high speed accident you will die. As if a coupe without a cage will protect you. So if you hit a tree broadside at 120 will a coupe really protect you? Even if you had a cage who here puts on a helmet when they take there car out for cruises? Anyone? For that matter why buy a motorcycle I mean if a car hits you at 30mph what do you think will happen to you?:shrug:

matt87

Established Member
i was out today in the sun with my wife, driving along the ocean and wondering why the hell i didnt get a vert ages ago. this is the first "toy" my wife actually likes. after i drop off the old lady and go cruising i get so many stares and smiles from hot woman all the time. go vert its a no brainer.

D-MANN

Established Member
Let's put it this way, Coupe = performance, Vert = chick magnet galore pussy attractor. Is that better?

haha well said...AGAIN.Love my vert but the thought of going bigger power has me really thinking about what would happen if I lost control at lets say 800hp.Hell its a crazy ride at 600hp!!Im rolling the dice already with no roll bar.If you want big power get a coupe.

Last edited:

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
I have owned a Fox vert ('89 LX 5.0), and while I was about 20 and didn't really notice or care about flexing around (along with the fact I had no money to do anything about it), the car drove horrible alot of times, lol. I will prolly never own another Fox vert because of it.

My '98 Cobra vert was light years ahead of that Fox (with a pretty nice suspension including FLSF's), but no comparison to my '03 I just bought. I have only been able to put about 200 miles on it so far, and other than the exhaust I just put on it's all stock, but I gotta tell ya it's the nicest driving Mustang convertible (stock) that I have ever driven! I do have MM FLSF's, and other various suspension parts, braces, and engine mods sitting ready to go in, but it's really not that hateful of a car stock.

I am sure though, that once I do the suspension I'll retract all these comments and be amazed at the difference, lol.

Oh, other differences between verts and coupes are stiffer springs, shocks, & struts, and the verts come with a K-brace under tha car. It's nothing amazing, but it's there.:thumbsup:

Jimbeaux

Established Member
theres nothing like punching it and hearing the whine of the blower while cruising down the road with the top down, haha

hahah there is nothing, noooothing in this world that is on the same level as the sound of a supercharger whine, with no roof or windows in your way.

flamed03vert

Established Member
I never really give it much thought getting into it and running up to triple digit speeds, it's usually after the fact where I get a little wierded out with the thought of "what if...?". Still as previously mentioned nothing compares to the sound of that S/C whine with the top down. And some mentioned, the poon magnet aspect... it was a nice feature when I was single.

Avispa

Established Member
Performance wise, the coupe is a better car. It's more rigid because of the solid roof structure and has higher rate rear springs, so it handles a lot better. You have to be a convertible lover to want the ragtop version (I am).

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Performance wise, the coupe is a better car. It's more rigid because of the solid roof structure and has higher rate rear springs, so it handles a lot better. You have to be a convertible lover to want the ragtop version (I am).

stock for stock this is true. but a 'vert can be made to be just as solid as a coupe and handle as well as a coupe. I would not race it at the track however. for that I have a coupe.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy, I know you don't actually believe this.

If given the chance would you trade one for your coup?

If not, why?

:pop: :poke: :-D

Don't like verts. They do not fit my needs, wants, and usage list very well.
If verts were lighter with the roof removed instead of heavier, I could be "converted" much easier

I will leave it at that.

CWUTIDIDTHUR?

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
I sometimes miss the coupe, it was like riding on rails compared to the stock vert when I got it. After some welded FLSFCs and springs the vert was more manageable, I will probably do a 3 pt strut tower brace in the future. Mine is a garaged DD and I am a vert convert. Weather, blower whine, exhaust, mini pick up, etc. :beer:

keg1.jpg

Venomhiss

Established Member
For all you questioning a vert my 97 has an 03 swap with as turbo and just about every suspension mod and coming from four cobra coupes, I couldn't be happier. Previous owner went 10.4 at136mph with 719rwhp. That was a "ok" run as well. That being said, I was suprised at how awesome it is. And I had a LOT of doubt buying it

lukabrozi

SVT *****
Established Member
hmm

You don't think that an 04 vert can compete with the coupe in the 1/4 mile strip or on the street?

Really?

Users who are viewing this thread