Difference in a vert an a coupe?

black 10th vert

Established Member
do you ever take the cover off and drive it? I was seriously thinking of doing what you did but just not sure I want to have to drill the holes necessary.

You don't really have to do any drilling. The back of the cover has clips that go under the trim, and it is held down in front with the seatbelt. The only possible drilling, is some of them require adding an extra male snap to each side on the plastic panel like the stock tonneau uses, but they aren't noticeable since there are already some in that area from the factory anyway. I had a Cervinis 2 piece version, thinking that it would be cool to have one that you could put in the trunk. The panels are HUGE, though, and since I have a welded in rear STB, there is no way I could put them in there, same if you add any kind sub box. I ended up selling it since it was too much of a pain to deal with. If I could find a 1 piece Saleen one, I would buy it, though.;-)

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I sometimes miss the coupe, it was like riding on rails compared to the stock vert when I got it. After some welded FLSFCs and springs the vert was more manageable, I will probably do a 3 pt strut tower brace in the future. Mine is a garaged DD and I am a vert convert. Weather, blower whine, exhaust, mini pick up, etc. :beer:

keg1.jpg

You live in Florida. Vert=No duh! LOL

If I didn't live in a sunshine state I don't think I would have a vert.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
You're gonna be heavier... harder to stiffen/brace, and have to suffer a bit more road noise...

that being said I love my vert... even if it's a bit slower, theres nothing like punching it and hearing the whine of the blower while cruising down the road with the top down, haha
idk about the stiffening & slower part here :rockon: road noise

Hell YEAH!! :banana:
:D :rockon: MY THOUGHTS TOO BUDDY

Whats better than a Terminator Coupe? Convertible Terminator!:rockon:
:rockon: NOTHING MORE TO SAY !!

i like my vert but wish it was a coupe alot of times...but then again it feels good to blast the unsuspecting soul that underestimates a convertible....happens all the time lol!
:coolman: :pepper::pepper::pepper:

i love taxing up people that think "its just a slow little vert"

ONE THING I DO KNOW IS !!! my vert with the kenny brown matrix kit is wayyyyyyyyyyy stiffer than the coupe i had !!!

i`ve had both 03-cobra coupe & 03-cobra vert !

Last edited:

zacharyt1122

Established Member
The best thing to do is find 2 people with a Cobra, one vert and one coupe. If they trust you enough, have them let you drive it and see which one you like the most. I was hard core coupe for a long time, but I took a ride in a friends vert and fell in love! Plus, I already had a coupe GT so I figured it was a no brainer. Its just one of those things where if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different responses. Gotta decide for yourself.

And on another note, does anyone know exactly why a vert is heavier? I used to think it was the top motor, but those are pretty light after I helped my brother change his in his Fox. I know its the additional stiffining from the factory, but what exactly did they make stiffer? Especially since its still not as stiff as a coupe.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I imagine the top itself is heavier. The A-Beams are thicker. There are some extra bracing underneath. I have to imagine the framing of the top, and the cloth and insulation are much heavier that just the thin sheet metal top of a coup.

I've wondered though - if the top and all it's components were removed, if the Vert would still be heavier or not. We might make a "Convert" of Jimmy if it is lighter...

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
my '04 vert with mm flsfc, hd bilsteins, h&r race and decent rims/tires was plenty stiff for driving. When that car gets jacked up from one side of the rear, the other side pops up in the air no problem. I think the verts being "flemsy no matter what you do" is drastically overblown. And I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon, either. I've had some extremely stiff chassis cars including both c5z and aluminum framed c6z. The '04 vert with minor stiffening mods is more than capable.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I imagine the top itself is heavier. The A-Beams are thicker. There are some extra bracing underneath. I have to imagine the framing of the top, and the cloth and insulation are much heavier that just the thin sheet metal top of a coup.

I've wondered though - if the top and all it's components were removed, if the Vert would still be heavier or not. We might make a "Convert" of Jimmy if it is lighter...

I've thought about removing as much as I could to lose a few pounds. All you would have to do to raise and lower would be 2 people. One on each side or maybe even stand in the car to get it close to latching. Hmm.......

Lol, at some of the other comments about being slow and dangerous. Or ugly with a rollbar.

I've been on the fence for a while about how I should've bought a coupe but this thing is plenty fast for me and the mod's that are on it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-L5i4AnL5Y"]YouTube - Posi KYHP Shootout 10.27[/nomedia]:thumbsup:

Firsttime409.jpg

MonsterTrucksandDetailedCar239.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
There is a NASA CMC guy in Texas(Todd Covini) that used to run a convertible Fox that had the entire top removed. I would imagine that could result in a lower CG than a coupe. The car was always quite competitive when I saw it run in the instructor groups. Todd is an excellent instructor too, if any of you Texas guys happen to be at an event with him.
nasaforums.com • View topic - Price reduced! Camaro-Mustang-Challenge Convertible #2
cmc2car1.jpg

Lol, at some of the other comments about being slow and dangerous. Or ugly with a rollbar.

This is a pretty long ways from looking ugly IMHO! This car looks freaking great!

If I was going to do a vert, I don't think it would be a Terminator vert.
I could see myself rockin one of these someday possibly.
"2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder
This could be the best Porsche yet"
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder: best Porsche yet Auto Review - MarketWatch
MW-AG233_porsch_MD_20100908144330.jpg

It would be in addition to ole #539 though and they are going to have to depreciate a significant amount before I would buy one.
A vert is still a big IF for me, though I can see that they could be a lot of FUN!:rockon::beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member

ONE THING I DO KNOW IS !!! my vert with the kenny brown matrix kit is wayyyyyyyyyyy stiffer than the coupe i had !!!

:nono:

Only you floor boards are stiffer. The upper firewall/fender aprons have no lateral support. You will need a full roll cage connected to the A-pillars to get back the stiffness lost to a coup.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
pretty sure ford compensated the vert. from the factory by giving it a couple extra hundred horses than the coupe.verts can really suck in an accident. some how i ended up with a 04 cobra vert. and a shelby gt500 coupe so far, and i never drive the damn coupe,well a couple times, but seem to take the vert. out instead. i really like the 03-04 model style cobra mustang, coupe or vert, much better than this new style stang, and i love my vert

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
As has been said, everyones got their opinions, but with a rollbar, a tonneau cover, and a 3.4 whipple I get more attention than i could dream of. :beer:

Maybe it's because it does kinda remind me of being on a fast liter bike. Or that I'm 6'5" and love having nothing cramping my head.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
There is a NASA CMC guy in Texas(Todd Covini) that used to run a convertible Fox that had the entire top removed. I would imagine that could result in a lower CG than a coupe. The car was always quite competitive when I saw it run in the instructor groups. Todd is an excellent instructor too, if any of you Texas guys happen to be at an event with him.
nasaforums.com • View topic - Price reduced! Camaro-Mustang-Challenge Convertible #2
cmc2car1.jpg

This is a pretty long ways from looking ugly IMHO! This car looks freaking great!

If I was going to do a vert, I don't think it would be a Terminator vert.
I could see myself rockin one of these someday possibly.
"2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder
This could be the best Porsche yet"
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder: best Porsche yet Auto Review - MarketWatch
MW-AG233_porsch_MD_20100908144330.jpg

It would be in addition to ole #539 though and they are going to have to depreciate a significant amount before I would buy one.
A vert is still a big IF for me, though I can see that they could be a lot of FUN!:rockon::beer:

That's something only the old VW GTi's should be doing lol. Awesome picture!

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
:nono:

Only you floor boards are stiffer. The upper firewall/fender aprons have no lateral support. You will need a full roll cage connected to the A-pillars to get back the stiffness lost to a coup.
nobody said i wasnt getting a rollbar this winter i`m just stating that i`ve seen & FELT A HUGE diffrence in the two !!

jimmy nice pics & posi your car :rockon:

misturg

Established Member
I searched for, and purchased a convertible for a few reasons. I will be less tempted to turn it into a "race car". I think the resale value is better, as long as the top is in good condition. Any convertible will attract more attention more attention from the females.... trust me, it works for jeeps also. Most of all, I like to take my wife and kids out with the top down and everyone enjoys the ride. In a coupe the back seat is like sitting in a coal mine, which isn't very fun for the kids.
Good luck.

jlbush

Established Member
I have yet to prove that my vert is a chick magnet :shrug:.....This puts a whole different meaning for "driver mod needed" :D

Users who are viewing this thread