Difference in a vert an a coupe?

dsmith26

Established Member
It's cool, as someone said before, you're either a Vert person or you're not. I'm not, but I can appreciate those who are.

Last edited by a moderator:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
ever seen what happens to a vert in a head on collision or brought to a stop by a tree? :uh oh: ......it ain't pretty :nonono:
now add a 600 hp engine to the mix :eek:
a head on collision or wrapping a car around a tree is never pretty whether it is a 'vert or a coupe. and yes ... driving around in a 'vert is perhaps a bit more risky than a coupe. but if you don't do anything stupid that raises the risk it really isn't much more risky than any other activity we undertake every day of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:

dsmith26

Established Member
sounds like the opening shot of a pissing contest to me.

No Sir. I asked, you answered. You obviously have experience dealing with convertibles. :bowdown: I just couldn't fathom anyone owning an older Vert (especially fox body) w/real glass and it not experiencing leaking or a need to replace it every 8 years or so...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
No Sir. I asked, you answered. You obviously have experience dealing with convertibles. :bowdown: I just couldn't fathom anyone owning an older Vert (especially fox body) w/real glass and it not experiencing leaking or a need to replace it every 8 years or so...

gotcha. I won't own a 'vert that doesn't have real glass. I have noticed considerable improvement in tops look and fit over the years. You might find it work taking another look

matt87

Established Member
first vert for me. i'll let ya know by the end of summer if it was a good choice or not. i dont worry about most of the issues stated here because its not a dd, its garaged, it would never ever go to a drive through car wash. might as well wash it with a bucket of dirty water and dry it with sandpaper. i figure the extra 115 pounds is just an invisible cute chick riding along that my wife cant see.

SoCaDan

Established Member
I just bought an 04 vert because I've enjoyed my 03 GT vert so much since new. After 8 years the top still looks new. Granted the car is garaged and covered in a parking structure during the day. I also go through car washes with no issues. Being in So Cal I can pretty much go top down most of the year. If I was looking for something to race I would have probably gone with the coupe. Just not worth the trade off for me. BTW...The 04 vert I bought last week and being delivered is one hour from my front door :) Silver Metallic with 14,000 orig. miles.

Fire_snake

Established Member
This will b my first vert ever as well as a ford lol!! Ive been a chevy guy since i started driving but im getting this cobra for a stupid price! Plus they look badass as a vert an this car will b garaged an hand washed once a week oh ya it will have more than 600 plus. Thanks for all the great info

SlowSVT

Established Member
Shit maybe I'm insane for having a vert with over 600hp.:shrug:

You'll be fine as long as you don't get into an accident. I've seen Mustang verts get torn in half. They tend to fold downward at the firewall in a collision due to the lack of bracing without having a roof structure. There was aboard member here who flipped his vert and actually got road rash pretty bad and barely escaped with his life. :nono: No more open cockpits for him.

BTW: what's it like dong 150 with the top down.....or even "up" :uh oh:

:poke:

:beer:

mach1033

Established Member
You'll be fine as long as you don't get into an accident. I've seen Mustang verts get torn in half. They tend to fold downward at the firewall in a collision due to the lack of bracing without having a roof structure. There was aboard member here who flipped his vert and actually got road rash pretty bad and barely escaped with his life. :nono: No more open cockpits for him.

BTW: what's it like dong 150 with the top down.....or even "up" :uh oh:

:poke:

:beer:

I try not to think about it to much lol. And because of my new set up I am saving up for a cage but one that looks good. Even with the tire and suspension upgrades to handle the power I still dont act like a fool with it. When I raced an Evo last month I shot up to 150 so fast that I actually thought that I made a mistake in getting a 2.9 with the thinking being that this is to much for the street. But that thought quickly went away in favor of the blower ;-)

SlowSVT

Established Member
I try not to think about it to much lol. And because of my new set up I am saving up for a cage but one that looks good. Even with the tire and suspension upgrades to handle the power I still dont act like a fool with it. When I raced an Evo last month I shot up to 150 so fast that I actually thought that I made a mistake in getting a 2.9 with the thinking being that this is to much for the street. But that thought quickly went away in favor of the blower ;-)

I'm not telling people anything they don't already know. Most people prefer not to think about this stuff but it's good to get reminded once in a while. A vert is a pretty classy car. Not crazy about having one with a fire breathing motor for reasons stated and you run out an stuff a 2.9 in there :eek: You essentially got a 4 wheeled motorcycle :coolman:

Be safe everyone

Russ :rockon:

SlowSVT

Established Member
i dunno, no big deal really.......i have had the car up to 140 a couple times and didn't notice any real issues at all

I seriously LOL at all the BS in this thread bashing verts...I think it's hilarious

I wouldn't call it BS or bashing. Some of those issues are pretty real........ even the bird poop:uh oh: LOL

It's just something you have to consider.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'm not telling people anything they don't already know. Most people prefer not to think about this stuff but it's good to get reminded once in a while. A vert is a pretty classy car. Not crazy about having one with a fire breathing motor for reasons stated and you run out an stuff a 2.9 in there :eek: You essentially got a 4 wheeled motorcycle :coolman:

Be safe everyone

Russ :rockon:

Russ, I actually had to buy a convertible again because I loved my FFR '65 Cobra so much. As for the 4 wheel motorcycle comment, it fit to a tee with that car weighing only 2,250lbs., with over 400hp!:eek: I'm hoping that this year with the Whipple, and 600hp, or more, my vert will have similar performance. It is truly interesting how quickly you get acclimated to high hp, and keep wanting more.;-)

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I wasn't a fan of the sn95 body style when it first came out.

I'll never forget the first Saleen I ever saw. I can tell you exactly what red light I was sitting at and everything like it was yesterday. It was a vert sn95 Saleen with the light bar. It sounded and looked sick! I was drooling over it and I was beside myself because I thought I didn't like sn95s.

Anyway it was some dude with 3 smoking hot chicks in it. From that point forward I starting liking mustangs more & more.

Users who are viewing this thread