Evolution GT500 goes boom?

germeezy1

Established Member
Honestly with the rpm going up to 7000 now, im not even sure if 800rwhp is safe on 93 octane. My friends 11 has held together on 93 octane at 790rwhp for 33k miles but he only revs to 6k, and his tuner told him it wouldnt last long if he went to 6500 like he wanted to.

If you read in the other section, you see a lot of people mention that RPM is the killer on these motors. So it should be interesting to see how long these hold together with full bolt on's revving to 7k on street gas...

Keep in mind that the 7,000 rpm redline is only a temporary redline, and the static redline is still at 6,250 rpm. I do agree that it would make sense with PMR's and no ability to repair scored cylinder walls to keep the revs down.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
I am willing to bet that you will actually have to pay to find out the information on this blown motor. So set aside your $5 or $6 for a MM and FF , and be very patient.

:poke:

there goes my entire week of lunches. thats alot of money, i dont know i can swing putting that aside.

peteypab2133

Established Member
I am willing to bet that you will actually have to pay to find out the information on this blown motor. So set aside your $5 or $6 for a MM and FF , and be very patient.

makes sense, let us continue to mod our cars to the extent that you did so we blow our shit in anticipation for a written article from magazines that are basically useless now that the internet has taken full force.

It doesnt really affect me, I dont plan on going hog wild on mods anytime soon anyways. Tune/exhaust should be just fine for me.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Honestly, we know the rods are the waek link. I am sure with a 3.6l KB with a small pulley and race gas would have no problem poppin the motor, epsecially since they are going to be revving the piss out of it. I think if you are going with that set up it would be wise to limit it to 6200 rpm, unless you feel like making a window in a $4500 block.

I just want to see what the car with longtubes and a KB 3.6 does on 93 octane.

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
Unfortunately on this new 5.8 Trinity a blown motor will typically be more expensive than it was in the past. There are no clean up hones when you score a cylinder with the new PTWA cylinder walls. I still believe that with the right power adder that this motor should be capable of 800 rwhp with a dead on tune, and some degree of mechanical sympathy by the owner. Or you could do like some do, and forge the internals before you add a significant amount of additional power.

Last edited:

91svtbird

Established Member
If it is true, at least they have found the limit of the stock short block.

We already know the limit of the stock block. It has the same rods as the previous GT500's. 725-750 RWHP @ 6250 rpm and a 'proper safe tune' is about the most you can go and still be safe on 93 pump gas.

There is absolutely no need to try and prove otherwise by upping the power without first changing the internals (rods) before going to the next level if your goal is to all out race the car.

I doubt very much that Evo was looking for the "limit" of the short block they are already very well aware of it.

rdsnk46

Established Member
Spoke with Lund today and 850 wheel is in the safe zone, Evo was pushing it and thats how you go faster than any one else. In order to be the fastest you have to put it on the line. They have in the past and continue to constantly push the element. KUDOS to EVO for laying it down reguardless of the outcome. On to bigger, stronger, faster and more power! L & M/Michael Rauscher racing engine on deck!

germeezy1

Established Member
Spoke with Lund today and 850 wheel is in the safe zone, Evo was pushing it and thats how you go faster than any one else. In order to be the fastest you have to put it on the line. They have in the past and continue to constantly push the element. KUDOS to EVO for laying it down reguardless of the outcome. On to bigger, stronger, faster and more power! L & M/Michael Rauscher racing engine on deck!

I would assume that the new engine is 5.4 Condor based, and not 5.8 Trinity based? Thank you for weighing in with the info, and that estimate is ~ 50 rwhp higher than I thought.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I too am wondering if they were able to get a 2013 block and have it built already. It is in the system already. If not, I am guessing they will ise a sleeved 2011 block a big bore to get back to 5.8.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I would assume that the new engine is 5.4 Condor based, and not 5.8 Trinity based? Thank you for weighing in with the info, and that estimate is ~ 50 rwhp higher than I thought.

It's not some absolute number. Way too many variables for that. 750-850 is probably a reasonable range, when you figure in all the outside influences at play.

germeezy1

Established Member
A PTWA bore 5.8 can not be sleeved because the PTWA cylinder bores are used in place of the ductile iron cylinder sleeves.

blackshelby

850rwhp safe.... no way is that safe with the rods etc in these motors.(specially at 7k RPMs)
That's about 1000hp flywheel hp plus the HP it takes to turn whatever blower is on the motor which can be 100-200 addition HP.
These rods can NOT handle 1200 crank HP
If someone feels 850 RWHP is safe zone for these motors , I would think that is a pretty good reason why it didn't last.

Last edited:

walked_u_hard

Established Member
850rwhp safe.... no way is that safe with the rods etc in these motors.(specially at 7k RPMs)
That's about 1000hp flywheel hp plus the HP it takes to turn whatever blower is on the motor which can be 100-200 addition HP.
If someone feels 850 RWHP is safe for these motors that a pretty good reason why it didn't last.

do you even know who John Lund is? If that is truly what he said, id take his word over yours.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
If someone feels 850 RWHP is safe for these motors that a pretty good reason why it didn't last.

I believe- or atleast read that Mr Lund worked with Ford when they were tuning the engine. If that is true- ill believe if he says 850rwhp is safe, It's safe.

blackshelby

I believe- or atleast read that Mr Lund worked with Ford when they were tuning the engine. If that is true- ill believe if he says 850rwhp is safe, It's safe.

OK
whatever 850 is safe LOL

I am sure TOB would just love to answer you about these Rods in these motors.

Last edited:

blackshelby

do you even know who John Lund is? If that is truly what he said, id take his word over yours.

Yes I do

Sounds like you think I am a beginer at this ....
Guess again

Sorry but 850 was not safe on the 5.4 and is not with the 5.8

You guys believe 850 is safe go right ahead and try it.
Just make sure you have a spare motor to replace it ...because it will not last for too long

Users who are viewing this thread