Evolution GT500 goes boom?

91svtbird

Established Member
I believe- or atleast read that Mr Lund worked with Ford when they were tuning the engine. If that is true- ill believe if he says 850rwhp is safe, It's safe.

LOL..you are mistaken Chris.... No way Lund worked with Ford on tuning the 13' or any other GT500 for that matter....

No way the stock rods are safe at 850rwhp either. That's about 975 at the flywheel plus remember the blower takes at least 100hp to turn it so the engine is actually making about 1100hp to yield 850 at the wheels. Those stock rods won't live long at that level.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Yes I do

Sounds like you think I am a beginer at this ....
Guess again

Sorry but 850 was not safe on the 5.4 and is not with the 5.8

You guys believe 850 is safe go right ahead and try it.
Just make sure you have a spare motor to replace it ...because it will not last for too long

I agree..how can it be safe on a '13 and not safe on the older shelby's ( same internals) After reading this thread I'm going to save a ton of money and get a 12 shelby and put on my own tvs :beer:

jonesd

Established Member
It was always my understanding that the gt500s before this model year had a safe limit right around 800rwhp?

With it still using the same rods I'm not sure how this number could have gone up?

germeezy1

Established Member
LOL..you are mistaken Chris.... No way Lund worked with Ford on tuning the 13' or any other GT500 for that matter....

No way the stock rods are safe at 850rwhp either. That's about 975 at the flywheel plus remember the blower takes at least 100hp to turn it so the engine is actually making about 1100hp to yield 850 at the wheels. Those stock rods won't live long at that level.

Never mind I can't even mention him without his tirades, and background checks into my personal life much of which is wrong. Sorry that I mentioned a poster that I already have blocked due to his aggressive, and creepy cyber stalking.

Last edited:

jonesd

Established Member

Don't forget ford is claiming a lower drivetrain loss this year with better low tolerance pieces, eliminating the driveshaft center bearing ect. Ford is saying 8.1 drivetrain loss on the new gt500 instead of the 15% a lot of people suggest.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

Like I said- I believe I read it somewhere- not sure where- but it was here. Could be wrong

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I realized before I blocked him that he is often mistaken on things. 850 rwhp may be possible but I will let him try it on his motor , and be the guinea pig since he is so confident.

Dude STFU- I've been right about more things in the last 6mos than you've been right about in your entire life. You're a (removed by moderator) who spouts of crap and ruins every thread. Going from forum to forum- stirring shit up and causing arguments. Makes me not even want to come to this forum anymore being that they continue to allow you to troll around- even though we know who and what you really are.

And for the record- I said I believe I read it some where- no where did I ever say i was 100% confident- I will however- believe something John Lund says about a GT500 engine before pretty much anyone else especially some one that knows little to nothing like you- who has only read about it in a magazine while in your cubicle peddling homeowners insurance and googling about things to argue about on the Internet.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I think we have to more clearly define the word "safe", or else this will be an endless debate. It is a highly subjective term, that can be interpreted many different ways. Safe to you, may not mean safe to me.

Do you beat on your call all the time?
Are you bangin off the rev limiter all the time?
Do you have a dyno queen that sees a few pulls every now and then?
Do you drag race?
Do you road race?
What is your expected useful life out of the car?
and on and on............

germeezy1

Established Member
I think we have to more clearly define the word "safe", or else this will be an endless debate. It is a highly subjective term, that can be interpreted many different ways. Safe to you, may not mean safe to me.

Do you drag race?
Do you road race?

In your opinion would you do WOT 60-160 rolls in a 850 rwhp 2013 GT500 back to back to back?

jonesd

Established Member
In your opinion would you do WOT 60-160 rolls in a 850 rwhp 2013 GT500 back to back to back?

On race gas I would if I was a shop pushing the envelope for whatever reason...

The only thing important to me is what I can do power wise using 91/93 octane while I beat the car on the street. I'm guessing a full bolt on car with a 15% lower will be close to it if you want to stay safe and use street fuel.

germeezy1

Established Member
On race gas I would if I was a shop pushing the envelope for whatever reason...

The only thing important to me is what I can do power wise using 91/93 octane while I beat the car on the street. I'm guessing a full bolt on car with a 15% lower will be close to it if you want to stay safe and use street fuel.

Other than the allowance for the added displacement I think that the limits are exactly what the 5.4 Condor's limits are.

bull3441

Established Member
If you guys are think 850whp is safe on stock internals then you have a lot to learn. No one can tell you xxxwhp is safe. It's too early to tell. How many of you have actually pushed the limits on a GT500? The majority of the popped motors we have documented were under 750whp. You have higher cylinder pressure and thinner cylinder walls with the 5.8.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

Do you drag race?
Do you road race?

All good questions as to what "safe" is

bull3441

Established Member
Other than the allowance for the added displacement I think that the limits are exactly what the 5.4 Condor's limits are.

The increased CR is a factor. Less forgiving with higher boost on pump gas. Heat is the enemy in these motors.

blackshelby

pretty close......
Actually a little less on the 5.8 if really comparing both.
Less block material because of the additional displacement = weaker block/ More block movement

750 addition RPM allowed which almost doubles the load the rod will be at/see(6250/7000RPM) = rod failure with less HP because of the additional RPM(RPM kills rod rating)

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
Yes I do

Sounds like you think I am a beginer at this ....
Guess again

Sorry but 850 was not safe on the 5.4 and is not with the 5.8

You guys believe 850 is safe go right ahead and try it.
Just make sure you have a spare motor to replace it ...because it will not last for too long
I have the ability drive fast but easy. No slicks or 2-step but driving it out, I ran 800rwhp around 110 passes and too many street races to count, 850rwhp seems like it would not be a stretch. Others with less expirence may have different results.

You may be too conservative, as I'm an extremist. Dont take it personal I mean no insult.

rdsnk46

Established Member
I can only go on true real world knowledge from my expirence and Jons tuning abilty. He is a mentor, friend and sponsor for me for over 3 years.

The same goes for the Evo crew. Fred and Nelson helped me many times with my car also, I guess we may be cut from a different grain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread