Evolution GT500 goes boom?

bull3441

Established Member
I have the ability drive fast but easy. No slicks or 2-step but driving it out, I ran 800rwhp around 110 passes and too many street races to count, 850rwhp seems like it would not be a stretch. Others with less expirence may have different results.

You may be too conservative, as I'm an extremist. Dont take it personal I mean no insult.
You' re block lasted two years or so right? These guys think 850whp on a stock block will last 100k miles plus track/street abuse. My stock block owed me nothing as I beat the piss out of it, and I think you made a similar comment as well. 850whp on stock internals @ 7k rpm won't last. Being that I'm on my second L&M motor, I will tell you the tuner and engine builder have different views of what's "safe"

germeezy1

Established Member
You' re block lasted two years or so right? These guys think 850whp on a stock block will last 100k miles plus track/street abuse. My stock block owed me nothing as I beat the piss out of it, and I think you made a similar comment as well. 850whp on stock internals @ 7k rpm won't last. Being that I'm on my second L&M motor, I will tell you the tuner and engine builder have different views of what's "safe"

What happened to the first L and M motor if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

jonesd

Established Member
I can only go on true real world knowledge from my expirence and Jons tuning abilty. He is a mentor, friend and sponsor for me for over 3 years.

The same goes for the Evo crew. Fred and Nelson helped me many times with my car also, I guess we may be cut from a different grain.

There's a reason why johns tuned motors at 800 rwhp rarely let go, if ever. He's better than anything you'll get from anyone else, even a real dyno tune. The level of software he has access too is hard to beat.

germeezy1

Established Member
There's a reason why johns tuned motors at 800 rwhp rarely let go, if ever. He's better than anything you'll get from anyone else, even a real dyno tune. The level of software he has access too is hard to beat.

John and Ken are well known, and well respected in this community. The questions is would you push your stock motor to 850 rwhp?

bull3441

Established Member
What happened to the first L and M motor if you don't mind me asking?

Closed the gap the first day I picked up the car. Motor let go 4 weeks later. Total carnage, cracked block, piston etc. L&M fully warrantied the motor and stood behind their work. This was on pump gas and 16psi Lund tune. Shit happens, no way Michael and Jon would've let the car leave if they thought it wasn't safe. I checked and swapped plugs every week, data logge, compression test, dyno run etc. Motor seemed healthy. Michael could've left me hangin like a lot of other shops but he's a good man and ate all the cost.

germeezy1

Established Member
Closed the gap the first day I picked up the car. Motor let go 4 weeks later. Total carnage, cracked block, piston etc. L&M fully warrantied the motor and stood behind their work. This was on pump gas and 16psi Lund tune. Shit happens, no way Michael and Jon would've let the car leave if they thought it wasn't safe. I checked and swapped plugs every week, data logge, compression test, dyno run etc. Motor seemed healthy. Michael could've left me hangin like a lot of other shops but he's a good man and ate all the cost.

That is an amazing story, and a testament to just how good L and M is. Was it a rod letting go that caused all the carnage?

bull3441

Established Member

800whp on a built motor and race gas is a different story than a stock block pump gas car. Im not aware of any 800whp stock block pump gas GT500. There could be a turbo car out there, but turbos are different animal than blower cars. I was close to 800whp on pump and that didn't work out so well.

rdsnk46

Established Member

About 7k miles, but my car was raced every time I drove it. It was the sole reason I purchased it, as you know from my posts in the other section. Jon and Michael do have different views but they work together on 95% of the engine builds. Jon tunes them and Michael worries they will break but is elated when they exceed his HP expectations! LOL!

I put 2500 miles on the FRPP low comp S/B. The 3.6 LB put down 800rwhp-750 rwtq with 22 psi and GT cams. With the spray it made 872/900 to the wheels.

Safe to one person is overboard to another....

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
That is an amazing story, and a testament to just how good L and M is. Was it a rod letting go that caused all the carnage?

The piston cracked at the ringland, tilted and got cocked in the cylinder cracking the block. But all pistons showed heat stress and some were beginning to roll at the valve reliefs. When I break shit, I break it. Rods are Oliver billet and their not breaking at my power level. It was a big hit for Michael and I'm thankful. An honorable man.

rdsnk46

Established Member

His ability is known to be tops in the industry, not bad considering it's his side job.

John and Ken are well known, and well respected in this community. The questions is would you push your stock motor to 850 rwhp?

If you wanna be the fastest on a drag radial, yes. 850rwhp hooking 1.4X's 60's equals mid 9's @ 145 mph+. I would.....:p

germeezy1

Established Member
The piston cracked at the ringland, tilted and got cocked in the cylinder cracking the block. But all pistons showed heat stress and some were beginning to roll at the valve reliefs. When I break shit, I break it. Rods are Oliver billet and their not breaking at my power level. It was a big hit for Michael and I'm thankful. An honorable man.

I imagine a whole new build including the block made it not a good day for him.

bull3441

Established Member
About 7k miles, but my car was raced every time I drove it. It was the sole reason I purchased it, as you know from my posts in the other section. Jon and Michael due have different views but they work together on 95% of the engine builds. Jon tunes them and Michael worries they will break but is elated when they exceed his HP expectations! LOL!

I put 2500 miles on the FRPP low comp S/B. The 3.6 LB put down 800rwhp-750 rwtq with 22 psi and GT cams. With the spray it made 872/900 to the wheels.

Safe to one person is overboard to another....

Michael will tell you never drive the car when it's hot out and stay under 16psi and you're safe :lol1:

bull3441

Established Member
I imagine a whole new build including the block made it not a good day for him.

Plus the delay of his current projects. He took me right away and fit me in once the lift was open. Plus he still has to pay his crew even though the $ for this project isn't comming in. Local guy to me payed $25k for a build and the motor popped a few weeks later. This idiot payed cash though, shop said what motor? He just payed $12k for another motor.

rdsnk46

Established Member
Michael will tell you never drive the car when it's hot out and stay under 16psi and you're safe :lol1:

He knows most will do the opposite (reverse psychology) so it's job security for him. You break them he builds them!

Van@RevanRacing

Now are there any questions why I always recommend L&M Engines?

204.9 Standing Mile 2008 Super Snake
207.7 Standing Mile 2007 Super Snake Convertible
????? Standing Mile 2007 Super Snake Convertible with a Kenne Bell 4.2 and new Suspension
????? Standing Mile (the other project) yeah, another Super Snake because we build REAL Shelby 1000 Rear Wheel Horsepower Super Snakes!

Looking forward to October 2012!!!!

Stay tuned.........

Users who are viewing this thread