New 2015 info says GT500's 5.8L to be dropped for Ecoboost Coyote V8

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
It would be nice to see the SVT Cobra back in the Ford stable. Along with an 'R' model to compete with the new Camaro Z/28.

unfortunately (for Chevy) I dont think that car is going to be anything spectacular and a 2014 5.0 will keep up. We shall see but I wasnt all impressed with the ZL1

LostPony

Established Member
As soon as Ford announced the twin turbo Cobra Jet, concept or not, that was your tip as to the next GT500 motor combo.

Boss 302, leave it alone. The '12 car is as close to the original as they dared to go. The '13 has too many extras, like SYNC, and the track apps silliness. Even my '12 has stuff on it I never use, like the cruise control, rarely use AC unless GF is in car. If they did another one, it most likely would get leather and other crap a track oriented car doesn't need.

Even if the chassis is developed with these other engines in mind, it does not mean that the Mustang will get them. If they use the platform for another car, ie a rear drive Lincoln, that car is more likely to get the Ecoboost V6. And I still believe that Europe is the only place that will get the Ecoboost 4 cyl.

svtwes

Established Member
idk y its so hard to believe that a Ecoboost Coyote isnt a posibility, Im mean you guys really expected Ford to make a 5.8 TVS gt500 with over 650 hp in 2013???? Cmon

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Twin Turbo 5.0 for the next Cobra? You can count on it.

I'm pretty sure that if strapping a pair of turbos on a V8 is good enough for BMW M, Mercedes AMG, Audi, McLaren, and Porsche, that Ford can feel fairly confident with that decision as well.

Overboost.

Established Member
Bullshit article full of pure speculation and blatant inaccuracies.

This. Just because someone publishes it, doesn't mean it's true.

It's amazing to me that people can come on here, spew pure BS, and people eat it up like candy.

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
This. Just because someone publishes it, doesn't mean it's true.

It's amazing to me that people can come on here, spew pure BS, and people eat it up like candy.

It's exactly like the mobile phone world.

Some blogger will write an article saying: The [insert phone that hasn't been announced yet] will have an amazing array of features such as [insert blogger's personal wishlist of shit that never will happen] according to unnamed sources. Then everyone else runs with it and starts adding their own speculation. Yet it's all unfounded BS.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
That article is exactly what the Ford guys said at SEMA, minus the GT500.

They said the new Mustang would have 4 engine choices.

The ecoboost in my F150 is amazing. People should embrace it.

ViciousJay

Established Member
As soon as Ford announced the twin turbo Cobra Jet, concept or not, that was your tip as to the next GT500 motor combo.

Boss 302, leave it alone. The '12 car is as close to the original as they dared to go. The '13 has too many extras, like SYNC, and the track apps silliness. Even my '12 has stuff on it I never use, like the cruise control, rarely use AC unless GF is in car. If they did another one, it most likely would get leather and other crap a track oriented car doesn't need.

Even if the chassis is developed with these other engines in mind, it does not mean that the Mustang will get them. If they use the platform for another car, ie a rear drive Lincoln, that car is more likely to get the Ecoboost V6. And I still believe that Europe is the only place that will get the Ecoboost 4 cyl.

this sounds incompetence you on, i use everything including the track apps and such and sync i use so i dont have to look down, actually both of these options saved my ass big time once, and the cruise is always on when on the highway, i also love my recaros

Last edited:

rockthemullet

Established Member
The Turbo Jet's engine is a complete working model. It is likely to demonstrate the Coyote's Ecoboost (previously Twin Force) capabilities. It is also no secret that Ford engineered the "Road Runner" engine beside the developing Coyote. It was a twin turbo 5.0...

The only issue with the 5.8 is that it is in its final phases of life. If Ford could engineer TiVCT for it for cheap, it could sustain its life. The Coyote was built with Direct Injection, Supercharging, Turbo charging, PTWA and many other future technologies dormant.

Just because the 5.8 Condor is on its way out doesn't mean there will be a 5.0 Twin Turbo Coyote. They could still use a supercharger, single turbo (Ecoboost), increase displacement or a combination of FI and more CC's...

I am praying that Ford PTWA's a Coyote to 5.5. A 2017 GT500KR with a Twin Turbo/Supercharged 5.5 making 700hp. It would also give road racing teams a nice NA engine to compete when V10s, 12s and Turbo'd 6s have slowly taken over. It's also better to have a wider range of engines. GT3 is mainly 4.0-5.5 V8s with some I6 Turbo's. GT1-GT2 is more 4-8 liter V8-V10-V12... Having a catalog 5.0 and 5.5 would be awesome. 5.5 is the maximum displacement in most organizations... Definitely give VDS Roush/Yates a better base to start with in FIA... and FIA is somewhere the Mustang needs to do extremely well.

I like you.

Nohomo.

I'm an engineer for a tier 1 engine component supplier in the Detroit area, I know nothing. :)

RTD

Established Member
That article is exactly what the Ford guys said at SEMA, minus the GT500.

They said the new Mustang would have 4 engine choices.

I don't recall Ford making any sort of announcement about the 2015 Mustang at SEMA.

Even so, OP's article says 6 engines not 4.

nickf2005

Established Member
That will be the Boss 302 replacement in the new lineup.

Shelby American is already doing a GT350. Not so sure Ford would take that to replace the Boss.

It's all speculation at this point anyways. We can argue until the cows come home, but nobody will know anything until next year. Until then, let's enjoy our 1964.5-2014 Mustangs! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread