New 2015 info says GT500's 5.8L to be dropped for Ecoboost Coyote V8

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
How bout Lincoln builds a coupe to go aganist the cts-v??? Mark 9???

Dont want to get too far off topic, but this needs to happen. I think the future of Lincoln will depend on a proper luxury performance coupe. Since the IRS is supposed to be standard, the "platform cant support an upscale ride" argument will no longer be valid. A Mustang based V8 Mark IX Lincoln coupe would be :pepper:

Also, I dont really care what liter boosted V8 is in the GT500 or Cobra or SVT or whatever nomenclature Ford wants to use, as long as its still built for performance and mod-ability. I want a high quality canvas to paint my masterpiece:rolling:.

Lemers

Established Member
What about bringing the Falcon to America? Its a RWD V8 sedan to compete with a 300, charger, and the Chevy's new SS sedan.

ford-falcon-fpv-gt-rspec-photo-481673-s-1280x782.jpg

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
How bout Lincoln builds a coupe to go aganist the cts-v??? Mark 9???

I love this idea.

For that matter, I would be a buyer for an SVT Fusion with a 400+ hp Eco-boost V6, dropped suspension, some mild aero treatments, and some great 19 or 20" wheels. I bought a new SVT Contour back in 1998 and I LOVED that car. What an awesome DD it was.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
I don't know whether to compare the current direction to
- 1974 (Ford Mustang II) or
- 1989 (Ford Probe)

I guess it would be more like 1974, because in 1989, we banded together and kept the Mustang from becoming castrated. This time, I'm not hearing of a letter campaign to stop it. I hope there's a John Colletti in Ford somewhere.

With that said, I'm going to resist panicking. If nothing else, the creation of the Z-28 gives me hope that Ford will ALSO resist the pressure to shrink Mustang engines in an effort to lure Prius buyers everywhere.

I think its more in the style of the '79s which IMHO is a step in the right direction. The S197 and SN10 cars could lose some size and weight.

All this talk of the Mustang losing HP and a engine options reminds me of the years leading up to the S197 where a few car rags (Mostly Hot Rod and Motor Trend) kept incorrectly reporting that since the '05 'stang was based on the DEW98 platform that the modular would not fit and the 3.9/4.2 V8 would be at the heart of the Mustang.

Jroc

Established Member
I pray this is true.

**** a overstroked 5.4 Triton based motor..... in comparison to a new Coyote anyway which is not designed like a old Modular even though it shares is same footprint and bore spacing it has a different firing order, head design, and even the coolant passages and things like that are different. The 5.0 will equal lighter weight, weight carried lower in the chassis, more RPM's do to slower piston speeds at any give RPM, and the new 5.0's are potent enough in N/A trim, they seem to like boost even better than the older Modulars did so even with less displacement the 5.0 will still have huge potential. They do need to drop the Ecobullshit name as it's **** stupid sounding.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
the 5.8 is marginally bigger then the coyote. dont believe the article.

I don't really agree. It's a noticeably lager motor. 5.4/5.8 Modular have a 10.079" deck height where a 4.6/5.0 Modular has a 8.937" deck height. That's kind of like saying a 351 is only marginally bigger than a 302 when talking old SBF's. And being a taller 90* motor also makes it a wider motor. IDK about the aluminum blocks but comparing the iron block the 5.4 is suppose to be about 40lbs heavier than a 4.6, and the iron 5.4 got heavier a couple of time in it's production, and it was beefed up on at least 2 different occasions.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm just happy the retro theme is dying.

I'm gearing up to buy me a new 2015 convertible.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Ford shut shop in Australia... The falcon is dead
Holden Boss Mike Devereux Learns of Ford Australia Shutdown
the falcon died years ago, no one is buying them. their holden counterparts are better, and both of them have been dropping like a rock in sales to honda accords and toyota camrys.
the aussie RWD sedans are your stereotypical enthusiast car - everyone wants to look at them, no one wants to buy them

DAMN YOU FORD!!!! They should be killing the FWD Taurus and bringing the Falcon to the US and global martkets. GM is about to bring a RWD aussie sedan to the US why is Ford so agaisnt it?
because they lose money. the GTO was a pure and utter flop. the G8, while better, underperformed massively in the marketplace. the one and only reason that GM is selling the chevy "SS"(I.E., rebadged pondiat G8) is to drive down the parts cost for the chevy "SS" police cars. they've already said that the civilian "SS" will be produced in limited quantities, because they know that they aren't going to sell from previous experience.
not only is there ZERO demand in the US for these cars(seriously, how many of you would ACTUALLY pull the trigger? and if you would, why didn't you when the G8 was around?), but due to the continually inflating dollar(thanks to the ****wads driving this country into the ground:bored:) they aren't cheap to build and import from australia, there is no infrastructure in north america to produce these cars, but they aren't even competitive in their segment at their price point. the GTO was an OK car compared to the competition. the G8 was a good car, but there was better out there.

and, finally, the ford falcon is, like most region specific cars, asymmetrical - it CAN NOT be built in left hand drive configuration without extensive reengineering of the floor pan, firewall, engine accessories, and front subframe. then it has to go through crash testing, which is a few million dollars. then it has to go through emissions testing(which i'm not sure it would even pass with the aussie tune), which is a few million dollars.
ford is "so against" this because there is absolutely NO business case for it, and GM proved it on two separate occasions.
kill the ford taurus - a car with a $40k model(SHO) that they can't even keep on the lots - and take a chance on an uncompetitive, overpriced model that needs to be reengineered before it can even be sold in the market place? i'm pretty sure that's a rhetorical question...

evilrazor

Established Member
I'm not a real big fan of the twin turbo talk...

My last two cars where turbo cars, my 05 sti and my 08 5 series BMW, waiting for the turbos to spool is a real downer, ive always wanted a supercharged car and am awaiting the announcement of the engine lineups to see if the 2015 is in my future, or a 2013.

Than again ive never driven a twin turbo v8, perhaps the lag wont be as noticeable as my gutless BMW and my 4 cylinder STI

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
5.0 will be available, turbo? Why would Ford even think about that? A small tune can
result in 450 HP or more...with no lag..lol lol.

ObieFox

Established Member
Packaging the plumbing for a twin turbo 5.0 within the engine bay real estate of the new car will be very challenging. Due to EPA restrictions, it would seem the turbos would have to be closely located to the sides of the engine in order to facilitate the quick light catalytic converters etc...

The aftermarket has all kinds of flexibility about where they place the turbos and how they route the plumbing. Ford will not.

Start up emissions are heavily controlled by the EPA these days.

Has anyone taken a good look at the engine bay set up of the SHO? That would give us a feel for the challenges they face on a smaller engine bay with a larger engine.

Users who are viewing this thread