Texas 2k11 Road trip horror story

sc98cbra

Established Member
Pretty shotty that people cant leave their cars running for a few minutes without someone trying to take it.

If Insurance didn't cover it, I would be going to prison for murder.

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
OO man that sucks. Hopefully everything is taken care of the INS CO. Waiting for this explosion to be put up on youtube.

I don't think that any video was taken of the crash. I am not sure if it was an actual explosion, or the fuel just ignited. I also had a transfer tank in the back of my truck that had 50 gallons of diesel in it, I am sure that caught fire as well, when I got to the accident scene the truck and trailer were engulfed and the FD was enroute. By the time they got there everything was pretty much burned up.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
thats what my wife does and i always tell her don't get mad when someone runs off with your car or your personal belongings, she always leaves her Coach purses on the front seat too with her doors open, then people like that wonder "oh how could this have happened"....

sux but the world isn't a pretty place....hope you learned your lesson.
how hard is it to take your keys out of the ignition?

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I was reading about this early...sucks..hopefully insurance covers it man!

i hope so too, thats a shitty situation, i hope you had full coverage on everything bud.

Last edited:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I'm so sorry to hear this. I've personally never left my car running, but a LOT of people do it around here. I don't even start my car and leave it in my own gated driveway to warm it up in the winter. I freeze my ass off warming it up myself. My GT isn't much but it's all I'm gonna have for a long time and I worked my hairy ass off for it. I take no chances.

But people **** up, it happens. I've made mistakes just as foolhardy as this in my life that's for sure. You don't know why you do it, and it's not in your character to do something so reckless, but sometimes you just do. It sucks to be on that end of the stick. I've been there many times. I hope you recover your losses and are back in the saddle soon.

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
thats what my wife does and i always tell her don't get mad when someone runs off with your car or your personal belongings, she always leaves her Coach purses on the front seat too with her doors open, then people like that wonder "oh how could this have happened"....

sux but the world isn't a pretty place....hope you learned your lesson.
how hard is it to take your keys out of the ignition?

lobra, pulling the keys out of the ignition is not very complicated at all, I was just letting the truck idle to get a little heat going.
I know that I am a tool for doing that, and I am deservedly getting called out for it.
Like previous my previous post's have said, I was eager to get to Houston, and not all of my synapses were firing in order. You would figure that being 40, and living in L.A. that I would be paranoid enough to take my keys with me. Especially in El Paso. I mean Ciudad Juarez has been on the news constantly, they have HUGE cartel problems there.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
lobra, pulling the keys out of the ignition is not very complicated at all, I was just letting the truck idle to get a little heat going.
I know that I am a tool for doing that, and I am deservedly getting called out for it.
Like previous my previous post's have said, I was eager to get to Houston, and not all of my synapses were firing in order. You would figure that being 40, and living in L.A. that I would be paranoid enough to take my keys with me. Especially in El Paso. I mean Ciudad Juarez has been on the news constantly, they have HUGE cartel problems there.

my wife had ipod and other stuff stolen from her car, when i asked how it happened she said well i left it running and went inside real quick (10 mins it turns out), she came out and everything was gone including her purse....:shrug:

its cool man, i've done the drive from San Diego to San Antonio roundtrip so i know how exhausting it can be....you just have to stay alert, there is a plethora of bad people willing to do anything for a buck. we live in a great neighborhood (not so much as i was growing up) and i still always bitch to my wife about security etc....she blows it off, then again all her family has money so it ain't no thang to her. :nonono:

me, i grew up the opposite way......:beer:
its cool man it happens, just be safe, your stuff should be covered if you have full coverage.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Damn that sucks! I too have left plenty of diesels running while I ran in somewhere especially while towing. Makes ya think twice.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
So sorry to hear man, I understand being excited and tired and not thinking clearly but I hope everything works out for you.

BABVenom98

Established Member
I really want to have sympathy for you, but i cant.

How could you:

A. Even think it was remotely smart to stay in El Paso.
B. Leave your truck running unattended in El Paso.

Dude wake up and watch the news.

Sorry about your losses but i would say you were lucky your rig wasnt stolen while you were sleeping.

Same here

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Wow man!!!!!
I was planning on PM me you so maybe we could carpool it to TX2K11 but i could get any free days off. I hope for the best man!!!
If you need any help when you back to Cali, PM me i can help you dude.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Damn that sucks! I too have left plenty of diesels running while I ran in somewhere especially while towing. Makes ya think twice.

It's so bad they passed a state law against it here. You can get a pretty hefty fine for leaving your car running.

pdm

Established Member

No kidding, but I do usually lock the doors. Keeps honest people honest, I guess.

Sorry OP, but it would make me feel a lot better if this whole thing turned out to be :bs:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
C5R427, sorry to hear about this. The whole thing seems unreal. I hope the insurance comes through for you.

Jim Snover

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
It's so bad they passed a state law against it here. You can get a pretty hefty fine for leaving your car running.

That is one of the dumbest laws I've ever ****ing heard. Punishing normal people because other's like to steal vehicles?

What kind of logic is that? It's like fining a gun shot victim for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Users who are viewing this thread