Texas 2k11 Road trip horror story

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Edited by moderator, this isn't SD.

What kind of logic is that? So you think that we should stop placing the responsibility on the thieves and start placing it on the property owner? That's ridiculous. That's the argument the thief would probably use in court too "Well the owner left it running so it was too great of a temptation. It's not MY fault I stole it..." :rollseyes

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
How are you going to wire that into some guy's 70s era Ford?

its nothing computer related. its all in the alarm. it comes with an ignition type thing and they put an extra key in it. hard to explain but i watched them install this part. im sure it could be added to any vehicle.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
its nothing computer related. its all in the alarm. it comes with an ignition type thing and they put an extra key in it. hard to explain but i watched them install this part. im sure it could be added to any vehicle.

Yeah I got to thinking about it after I posted.

Either way, my original point remains. Someone shouldn't have to risk increased wear to their car as a result of cold start driving or, in my area, freeze for the first 10 minutes the vehicle is on due to somebody else's delinquency.

It's ridiculous to fine law abiding citizens for not doing what they can to deter criminals. While it's smart of us to do that, it's a shame that we have to live in a world where we can't let our vehicles idle for 10 minutes without fear of theft (well I can, but you guys can't :D).

Fines aren't going to do anything to the criminal. They will still try to steal whatever cars they can find.

Edit: Planter's post has been reported for racism and name calling.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
What kind of logic is that? So you think that we should stop placing the responsibility on the thieves and start placing it on the property owner? That's ridiculous. That's the argument the thief would probably use in court too "Well the owner left it running so it was too great of a temptation. It's not MY fault I stole it..." :rollseyes

where I come from we call that "accountability and responsibility" for one's actions. something that seems to be a concept lost upon our society.

where did i say we stop placing responsibility on the thieves? thief is just as responsible as the owner is, and in no way is that a defense for the thief.

an insurance company would argue that the insured has an obligation to protect his/her property by all means, and I've no doubt an insurance companies legal team could make a pretty good argument that the insured did not fulfill his/her obligation to protect said property (because he left the keys in his vehicle while it was running and then left it unattended).

and in the Army....that would have gotten him charged with negligence and direlection of duty.

if society were held to the same standards....might be less bs going on.

but it comes down to prevention and the OP was ignorant and stupid.

01svtL

Established Member
You left it running and went inside, in EL PASO ??!!!

Do you guys NOT hear about all the crazy shit that goes down near the border? Is that why no one understands why TX, Arizona, NM residents are so up in arms about the borders, because shit like this doesn't get reported??

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
where I come from we call that "accountability and responsibility" for one's actions. something that seems to be a concept lost upon our society.

where did i say we stop placing responsibility on the thieves? thief is just as responsible as the owner is, and in no way is that a defense for the thief.

an insurance company would argue that the insured has an obligation to protect his/her property by all means, and I've no doubt an insurance companies legal team could make a pretty good argument that the insured did not fulfill his/her obligation to protect said property (because he left the keys in his vehicle while it was running and then left it unattended).

and in the Army....that would have gotten him charged with negligence and direlection of duty.

Yes, he should have locked his vehicle if he wanted to keep it running but the point is that you stated that he got what he deserved. Really? Do women taking a walk in the dark deserve to be raped? I mean, they put themselves in that situation, so it's the same logic. :bored:

Of course everyone should do what they can to prevent people from committing crimes. I am religious about locking the doors to my house and my car but to say that it's all his fault is a bit much, don't you think?

skyhighsd

Established Member
OP- Damn sorry to hear, just brush off the jackasses on here. We all have are moments. GL with everything!

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member

and in the Army....that would have gotten him charged with negligence and dereliction of duty.

Planter I am sorry that you are having such a bad day. I have taken responsibility for my lack of forethought, on more than one post.
It is dbags like you, that have never made a mistake, that make me giggle.Stupidity on my part? You bet! I am generally pretty sharp, and have the job/toys/home to show for it. Do I make mistakes? EVERYDAY. It happens. I am not "crying" or "whining", just giving an account of an event that happened to me. I am not soliciting donations or asking for any kind of help, I am simply telling some people that I share a common interest with a event that has happened. You ever sit around and swap stories with your friends? Kind of the same concept here. Why are you so angry? Has my misfortune caused you some sort of personal loss? I made a colossal mistake. People make them everyday. Unfortunately I didn't learn anything from this one, as I knew better to start with. The loss of a car/truck/trailer while shitty is inconsequential. They were all paid for. If insurance doesn't cover any single one, I am in the fortunate position of being able to go and buy another. But seeing as I just got off the phone with my agent, I won't have to worry about that, I am covered. :rockon:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Planter I am sorry that you are having such a bad day. I have taken responsibility for my lack of forethought, on more than one post.
It is dbags like you, that have never made a mistake, that make me giggle.Stupidity on my part? You bet! I am generally pretty sharp, and have the job/toys/home to show for it. Do I make mistakes? EVERYDAY. It happens. I am not "crying" or "whining", just giving an account of an event that happened to me. I am not soliciting donations or asking for any kind of help, I am simply telling some people that I share a common interest with a event that has happened. You ever sit around and swap stories with your friends? Kind of the same concept here. Why are you so angry? Has my misfortune caused you some sort of personal loss? I made a colossal mistake. People make them everyday. Unfortunately I didn't learn anything from this one, as I knew better to start with. The loss of a car/truck/trailer while shitty is inconsequential. They were all paid for. If insurance doesn't cover any single one, I am in the fortunate position of being able to go and buy another. But seeing as I just got off the phone with my agent, I won't have to worry about that, I am covered. :rockon:

Glad to hear that your vehicles are covered, that's great! Is the trailer going to be covered as well?

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
Guys, the OP knows he ****ed up. No need to keep ball busting. Im sure he is going to get plenty of that from his insurance company immediately and then for the next 3 years.

OP at least you know you are wrong and you are taking your licks here pretty well, Dont let anyone here get ya down. Unfortunately you thought the human race, especially in El Paso was trustworthy, and thats where you slipped up.

So do you have receipts on the mustang? or are they just giving you some bullshit 15K to the value of the car?

Last edited:

TrevorR90

Banned

You act like you have never made a mistake in your lifetime... Stuff happens and sometimes little mistakes turn into huge mistakes..

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Here in Fl it's against the law. They've started enforcing it heavily after it started being an issue.

I've had 2 friends get tickets for doing it on a hot day.

When I lived in Ohio everybody left their vehicle running when they went into the gas station in the mornings. But small town vs Big town.

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
Guys, the OP knows he ****ed up. No need to keep ball busting. Im sure he is going to get plenty of that from his insurance company immediately and then for the next 3 years.

OP at least you know you are wrong and you are taking your licks here pretty well, Dont let anyone here get ya down. Unfortunately you thought the human race, especially in El Paso was trustworthy, and thats where you slipped up.

So do you have receipts on the mustang? or are they just giving you some bullshit 15K to the value of the car?

Dominion thanks for the kind words. Yes I know I *Edited by moderator, do not bypass the profanity filter.* up pretty badly, and I wish that I would have been smarter yesterday morning. But I am alive, no-one was hurt, not a single first responder was injured, and the only property loss incurred was mine.
I would like apologize to anyone that was stuck in the traffic jam that was caused by the thief that wrecked my rig.
As far as coverage for the Cobra, declared value! I live in L.A. so I knew that if my ride was ever stolen, I wanted at least what I had into it. :thumbsup:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
In his defense most of the diesel guys I know constantly leave their trucks idling. After awhile it just becomes habit.

And most of the "no idling" laws are trying to reduce emissions. Which is complete garbage in my opinion. But that's another story.

Guess I'm staying the hell away from El Paso.

Sorry about your loss man.

Users who are viewing this thread