Texas 2k11 Road trip horror story

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That sucks OP and I feel sorry for you but with that being said you totally put yourself in that vulnerable position.

That was so stupid and just asking for trouble to come find you and that it did.

98slowbra

Established Member
OP I am glad it will all be covered by your insurance it is a hard leson to learn, but you will be able to get new stuff now. This is the positive of the whole thread "you are covered". I am glad to hear this.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
where I come from we call that "accountability and responsibility" for one's actions. something that seems to be a concept lost upon our society.

where did i say we stop placing responsibility on the thieves? thief is just as responsible as the owner is, and in no way is that a defense for the thief.

an insurance company would argue that the insured has an obligation to protect his/her property by all means, and I've no doubt an insurance companies legal team could make a pretty good argument that the insured did not fulfill his/her obligation to protect said property (because he left the keys in his vehicle while it was running and then left it unattended).

and in the Army....that would have gotten him charged with negligence and direlection of duty.

if society were held to the same standards....might be less bs going on.

but it comes down to prevention and the OP was ignorant and stupid.

this isn't the Army...i just asked an adjustor friend of mine, said it should be covered no matter what, a theft is a theft. you could leave your car on with your windwos rolled down and it would still be covered.....don't quote me, its what he said, but all insurances are different as well as rules pre state. :burnout:

NateV8

Established Member
But seeing as I just got off the phone with my agent, I won't have to worry about that, I am covered. :rockon:

Damn!!!!! That's a crazy ass story, I'd be so pissed! But it's awesome news that you are covered:thumbsup:. Do you have any pics of the Cobra before the wreck?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I just can't believe your insuranced covered it. I wouldn't have. I coulda swore there is a clause in there somewhere about them not being responsible for obvious negligence and this surely qualifies.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
where I come from we call that "accountability and responsibility" for one's actions. something that seems to be a concept lost upon our society.

where did i say we stop placing responsibility on the thieves? thief is just as responsible as the owner is, and in no way is that a defense for the thief.

an insurance company would argue that the insured has an obligation to protect his/her property by all means, and I've no doubt an insurance companies legal team could make a pretty good argument that the insured did not fulfill his/her obligation to protect said property (because he left the keys in his vehicle while it was running and then left it unattended).

and in the Army....that would have gotten him charged with negligence and direlection of duty.

if society were held to the same standards....might be less bs going on.

but it comes down to prevention and the OP was ignorant and stupid.

LOL then by this logic I hope you dont carry insurance at all, since you will always accept responsibility and have no issues paying $10k for damage that you might have caused.

We have insurance because, well, were human and make mistakes.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I just can't believe your insuranced covered it. I wouldn't have. I coulda swore there is a clause in there somewhere about them not being responsible for obvious negligence and this surely qualifies.

why? :shrug:

i know USAA covers mine if i were to do that, but then again I have NEVER done it, the military makes us servicemen worry about security and what not too much to even fathom doing it.....that and i have always paid for cars i have. My wife on the other hand had her mom buy her a Toyota Camry in 2003 new off the lot....****ing car is detsroyed and she doesn't care for it. bye bye $25k :nonono:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
why? :shrug:

i know USAA covers mine if i were to do that, but then again I have NEVER done it, the military makes us servicemen worry about security and what not too much to even fathom doing it.....that and i have always paid for cars i have. My wife on the other hand had her mom buy her a Toyota Camry in 2003 new off the lot....****ing car is detsroyed and she doesn't care for it. bye bye $25k :nonono:

Because it was obvious gross negligence plain and simple.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member

i agree but it doesn't change the fact that you can leave your windows down with your car on as you run into the store to buy a lotto ticket and still be covered...:shrug:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
i agree but it doesn't change the fact that you can leave your windows down with your car on as you run into the store to buy a lotto ticket and still be covered...:shrug:

Not with the keys in the ignition and the car still running! I just called my insurance agent because I'm that bored and she laughed. Said no way would that be covered. I have nationwide. I'm going to call geico, progressive, and allstate and see what they say.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Not with the keys in the ignition and the car still running! I just called my insurance agent because I'm that bored and she laughed. Said no way would that be covered. I have nationwide. I'm going to call geico, progressive, and allstate and see what they say.

I talked to my agent @ state farm for the heck of it a few months back. You would be covered if there is comprehensive coverage on it. as theft is theft.. But do expect a sizeable hike in your insurance premuims, if not a cancellation...

CobraMac

Established Member

If the insurance company said that, then he would obviously take it to court...and for it to BE gross negligence the insurance company would have to PROVE that he made a conscious and voluntary disregard for his property, and he could rebuttal that argument with SO many things that it would close the case (being tired, too excited for the races, being hungry, etc etc.)

Now those of you that don't know Jason, he is an INCREDIBLY honest and down to earth guy. I have been talking with him a lot lately and he called me up and told me the story of this occurrence. I personally feel SO bad for the guy...he made a mistake and paid for it WELL more than he should have had to. I wish the best for you buddy and you know that if you need anything you give me a call!

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
If the insurance company said that, then he would obviously take it to court...and for it to BE gross negligence the insurance company would have to PROVE that he made a conscious and voluntary disregard for his property, and he could rebuttal that argument with SO many things that it would close the case (being tired, too excited for the races, being hungry, etc etc.)

Now those of you that don't know Jason, he is an INCREDIBLY honest and down to earth guy. I have been talking with him a lot lately and he called me up and told me the story of this occurrence. I personally feel SO bad for the guy...he made a mistake and paid for it WELL more than he should have had to. I wish the best for you buddy and you know that if you need anything you give me a call!

Civil court is not decided by reasonable doubt, but rather by the preponderance of evidence. All it takes is 51% to be decided against you. I wouldn't bet on it here.

CobraMac

Established Member
Civil court is not decided by reasonable doubt, but rather by the preponderance of evidence. All it takes is 51% to be decided against you. I wouldn't bet on it here.

I agree with that, but the judge would take great consideration of those aspects as well. Saw a similar case happen a few months ago and it worked out for the car owner. It's a good thing that his insurance is working with him on it all.

Users who are viewing this thread