Texas 2k11 Road trip horror story

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
That is one of the worst stories I have ever heard. I'm really sorry. That sure is a BIG reminder to others not to ever leave your vehicle running and unattended. I will rarely do that here in Bozeman, MT let alone El Paso.

Hope insurance covers everything for you, man. Terrible to hear something like this. :(

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I leave my GST running all the time in hopes someone will steal it. No takers, guess its no honduh......

Sad story OP, but hope insurance is kind.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I leave my GST running all the time in hopes someone will steal it. No takers, guess its no honduh......

Sad story OP, but hope insurance is kind.

LMAO!!! Sometimes I think that about our Taurus..."maybe if we leave it running someone will just take this pos".

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
If the perp is still in viable condition, he needs to have his internal organs harvested and sold to pay for your loss. A couple of kidneys, heart and maybe some lungs should about cover it.

I hate thieves.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
That is one of the dumbest laws I've ever ****ing heard. Punishing normal people because other's like to steal vehicles?

What kind of logic is that? It's like fining a gun shot victim for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

its pretty much :nono: everywhere. its happened a few times where someone hopped in and stole the car, then got into a major wreck injuring an innocent 3rd party. its almost "like" leaving a loaded gun laying on a park bench while you run to the bathroom to take a leak. obviously that's a bit of a stretch of course but that's the rationale behind it. you can be sued in civil court if that happens and i guess there are some sort of criminal statutes on it as well in some areas but im not sure.

next time, get a remote start alarm so you can fire it up to get it warmed up or the a/c going or whatever. the truck cant be stolen without the key in the ignition. i did this on my truck.

sucks to hear man. unbelievable that the one time you do this someone immediately hops in takes it. in the morning to boot. must have been a serious dbag to be walking around in the morning looking for any opportunity to come his way :burn: i hope insurance takes care of you. i cant imagine that they can just wipe their hands clean because the keys were in it unless they specifically state this in the policy.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I've never heard of people stealing running cars here, though it has definitely happened.

If they passed a law against idling here, people would be pissy during the winter time, ha.

yelostang

Established Member
That is one of the dumbest laws I've ever ****ing heard. Punishing normal people because other's like to steal vehicles?

What kind of logic is that? It's like fining a gun shot victim for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

They are probably tired of spending all the time and money chasing down car theives when dumbass people just leave their stuff running. Is it "right"...no, but it's the world we live in. We shouldn't have to worry about being shot, robbed, or raped but we do. The world sucks but a little situational awareness will make it a lot easier on yourself.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I've never heard of people stealing running cars here, though it has definitely happened.

If they passed a law against idling here, people would be pissy during the winter time, ha.

yeah i can imagine with cold winter days where you need the car to warm up first. im sure the "law" would look at the situation and then determine if they'd want to screw the person over who left it running. probably not. probably more of "there in case we need it" type of law. like some dummy leaving their truck idling at a gas station while running in to take a piss or whatever. where its kind of like its obvious that some dbag would take it.

a diesel truck hauling a huge heavy trailer in a hotel parking lot, doesnt really qualify imo. you wouldnt really expect someone to jump in and drive off with something that massive and its reasonable that he'd have it warming up or whatever, in the morning. its not like it was at a 711 or a gas station where you have lots of various people coming and going. i doubt it will come back on him at all. i just hope the dbag insurance company doesnt try to weasel out of it, which theyre famous for trying to do :bored:

cobra_matt

Established Member
I don't think that any video was taken of the crash. I am not sure if it was an actual explosion, or the fuel just ignited. I also had a transfer tank in the back of my truck that had 50 gallons of diesel in it, I am sure that caught fire as well, when I got to the accident scene the truck and trailer were engulfed and the FD was enroute. By the time they got there everything was pretty much burned up.

The cops chasing him most likely have dash cam footage. Anyone know how someone goes about getting footage from a cop car?

Last edited:

98slowbra

Established Member
yeah i can imagine with cold winter days where you need the car to warm up first. im sure the "law" would look at the situation and then determine if they'd want to screw the person over who left it running. probably not. :

here in CO they call it puffing and it is against the law, you can not even leave your car running in your own driveway, you will get a ticket right away. Mostly in the winter months here, people leave there cars running and take their kids into day care. It is all against the law here, can not leave your car running unattended.

Planter

Banned

they should make it to where you have to have a remote start in order to idle (warm up your car in the winter) cause then you can lock your car while it idles, and if some genius tries to steal it, the minute he puts it in gear it dies and he's gonna look reallly stupid. :thumbsup:

Planter

Banned
http://www.epcounty.com/CS/blogs/sheriff_news/archive/2009/02/04/update-stolen-truck-tractor-chase-el-paso-county-tx-to-hudspeth-county-tx.aspx

:dw: doeesn't say anything about a fire, explosion, or anything....i don't think that's the same case/situation....unless of course OP is exaggerating and feeding us some extra drama/bs to juice up the story.

:??:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
:dw: doeesn't say anything about a fire, explosion, or anything....i don't think that's the same case/situation....unless of course OP is exaggerating and feeding us some extra drama/bs to juice up the story.

:??:

It was from a while ago. I failed to look at the date.

Users who are viewing this thread