Texas 2k11 Road trip horror story

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
If the insurance company said that, then he would obviously take it to court...and for it to BE gross negligence the insurance company would have to PROVE that he made a conscious and voluntary disregard for his property, and he could rebuttal that argument with SO many things that it would close the case (being tired, too excited for the races, being hungry, etc etc.)

Now those of you that don't know Jason, he is an INCREDIBLY honest and down to earth guy. I have been talking with him a lot lately and he called me up and told me the story of this occurrence. I personally feel SO bad for the guy...he made a mistake and paid for it WELL more than he should have had to. I wish the best for you buddy and you know that if you need anything you give me a call!

The first part is probably why an insurance company would pay the claim then cancel insurance on someone, as I previously stated. It's too shaky trying to go to court to get out from paying the claim.... But if his truck, trailered vehicle AND modifications to said trailer vehicle are fully covered, they might try it... 50k+ is a hard pill of any carrier to voluntarily swallow.

cobra_matt

Established Member
The cops chasing him most likely have dash cam footage. Anyone know how someone goes about getting footage from a cop car?

Just gonna throw this out there again. Try to see if you can obtain the footage of the chase and the explosion from the cop cars that were chasing him.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Not with the keys in the ignition and the car still running! I just called my insurance agent because I'm that bored and she laughed. Said no way would that be covered. I have nationwide. I'm going to call geico, progressive, and allstate and see what they say.

Flo is way cool with it. Just called her.

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
While I appreciate everyone's concern for my claim, I can tell you that I am covered. I have two diffrent carriers State Farm for my truck and trailer, and the Cobra, along with a policy from Hagerty for the Cobra. My truck was a 97 F-350 CCLB PSD, (value 12.5K) trailer was a Wells Cargo 24' (value 5k) the Cobra, well we all know what that car was worth. I do have a buffer policy from Hagerty to cover the mods on the car (declared value policy kind of like gap insurance, except the Cobra was mine free and clear)

cobra96stang

Established Member
Civil court is not decided by reasonable doubt, but rather by the preponderance of evidence. All it takes is 51% to be decided against you. I wouldn't bet on it here.

Maybe you have trouble with reading but I'm 99% sure he already said they are going to cover it. ;-)

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
It's amazing how much Of dicks people on here can be. God damn, he isn't crying about it and it's a cool ass story, sad but still spine tingling to read. I would feel just like he does, you make a mistake - that's why you carry insurance. People like planter are why insurance is becoming such a racket... What about all the money the op has paid in over the years? Is that just cuz he felt like pi$$ing away his cash? No, it was so he had some recourse if something bad happened! You carry insurance for an accident, no matter what it may be. A lapse in judgement, a bad reaction, hell even something outside your control. I just feel bad that you travelled All that way and still missed tx2k11! But hell your loss story is better than any other one that will be posted, you can bet your a$$ on that!

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Seconded. He's heard it already, people. He even said himself he made a mistake. Let it go.

Jim Snover

It's amazing how much Of dicks people on here can be. God damn, he isn't crying about it and it's a cool ass story, sad but still spine tingling to read. I would feel just like he does, you make a mistake - that's why you carry insurance. People like planter are why insurance is becoming such a racket... What about all the money the op has paid in over the years? Is that just cuz he felt like pi$$ing away his cash? No, it was so he had some recourse if something bad happened! You carry insurance for an accident, no matter what it may be. A lapse in judgement, a bad reaction, hell even something outside your control. I just feel bad that you travelled All that way and still missed tx2k11! But hell your loss story is better than any other one that will be posted, you can bet your a$$ on that!

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
I thought I was having a bad day.

I really hope your insurance covers everything and the dirtbag that did this gets some real jail time with a man rapist as a cellmate.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Guess not.

Actually, I've never done that. You should really stop doing that.

It is all about location. In my hometown of 400 people, I don't bother to lock my doors or take my keys out at night much less worry about turning off the truck to run in to a quick stop. In Lubbock, however, I never step foot out of the truck, no matter how short the stop, without my keys and without turning it off.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
damn that sucks. we've all made bone-headed mistakes, i don't understand all the idiots here claiming to be perfect. it only takes just a second for something like this to happen.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
While I appreciate everyone's concern for my claim, I can tell you that I am covered. I have two diffrent carriers State Farm for my truck and trailer, and the Cobra, along with a policy from Hagerty for the Cobra. My truck was a 97 F-350 CCLB PSD, (value 12.5K) trailer was a Wells Cargo 24' (value 5k) the Cobra, well we all know what that car was worth. I do have a buffer policy from Hagerty to cover the mods on the car (declared value policy kind of like gap insurance, except the Cobra was mine free and clear)

Great. Just like I thought, considering I have state farm as well.

Don't be surprised if you get one of those "notice of nonrenewal of insurance" letters from corporate a few months after they pay though. Just a heads up...

CobraMac

Established Member
Sucks to hear. But leaving your rig running while you can't see it?

He and everyone else has already been over this question as well as it being asked a ton of times in this thread already. :read:

A mistake was made....and the horse was beaten to death about 2 pages ago.

Summerwolf

Established Member
Sorry to hear all of that.....but do insurance companies usually cover vehicles that are left with the keys inside them?

I'm hoping it doesn't turn out that way....but I've heard of situations where people weren't covered because they did something like that.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
Glad everything is working out for you. You planning on buying cobramacs twinturbojetplane lmao? YOu should take that out to tx2012 and really ruffle some feathers on bigboost and race gas.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Crazy story!!! I would have thought some pictures would have surfaced of the rig burning on the highway by now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, I for one read every post in the 5 pages of this thread.

Jason, so sorry to hear of your loss. Don't beat yourself up any more than you have. You made an admitted mistake and life goes on. Not a one of us has never done something we wish we hadn't. Thankfully you are covered for the loss of the truck, trailer and car. You're actually taking this all quite well, considering your loss and all. I do hope the thug who stole your truck gets nailed for his crime and spends considerable (deserved) time in jail.

Users who are viewing this thread