The Official MACA Website thread...

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
gcassidy said:
Lookin' good, Sean. :thumbsup:
How does it get ranked in search engines? Is it by the number of hits or something?
If so, I'll hit that thang all I can. :bash:

Well, there are a number of things that a) index a page for a search engine and b) raise your rank for a particular search. I have already taken care of the two major factors for search engines (e.g. META tags on our page with descriptions of the page, including keywords and a robots.txt file) indexing and ranking our page higher.

If you Google "mid-atlantic cobra association", the top two results are 1) the domain Omar (RedfireVenom) had for us with the first MACA webpage and 2) the forum here on SVTP. I would like to find a way to purchase that domain from Omar so it would also point at our page.

The problem is that not only are search engines like Google vague about what those criteria are, but they only re-index using search robots every so often. If you Google "maca" right now, the first result is some Peruvian root that's supposed to be an impotence cure... :nonono:

I will be requesting that people Google for the MACA frequently at one point, but since the new page isn't indexed yet (i.e. the page that appears is still titled "Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association Schedule and Media Repository" from October 30, the date of last caching/indexing by Google), there's not much point yet. I am going to submit our page to Google to be manually indexed, but I have not done so yet. Don't worry though, when it's time, I will probably send out a club-wide e-mail with specific instructions that will request that each member search for a particular string 5 times daily to raise our rank. :beer:

If you just want to search for our website, the easiest way is to Google "maca-online.com". It will be the last of 5 results and you will see that the title is still wrong :rockon:

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Ok guys and gals, I have just compiled a list of updates, per comments made here.

I've (tentatively) ordered them the way I will try to address them, based on level of complexity and learning curve for me. So here's the list of improvements, as it stands (more may always be added per your comments):

www.maca-online.com Update List:
(check first post of this thread)

So, please post up if there are any other comments/suggestions you have about our website at www.maca-online.com. I will update this list as necessary (and add it to the first post of this thread).

SPECIAL REQUEST: I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who has the ability to post a link on a website could post a link to our home page. This will significantly raise our page rank and index frequency.

Also, has anyone used the new uploading feature in the 'Pics and Vids' section of the site? I am still waiting for feedback on it.

Thanks in advance ladies and gents!! :beer: :rockon:

Last edited:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
First and foremost, thanks for adding WV to the list. However, you need to change the 5 to 6 in the description/introduction.

Will give more inputs as I have time to dig deeper.

Great job and keep up the good work. I would love to see this work.

Ken

:beer: :beer:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
kens03cobra said:
First and foremost, thanks for adding WV to the list. However, you need to change the 5 to 6 in the description/introduction.

Will give more inputs as I have time to dig deeper.

Great job and keep up the good work. I would love to see this work.

Ken

:beer: :beer:

Thanks for the catch, Ken. I just corrected the number, but please double-check me. And thanks in advance for future input :beer:

Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean by 'I would love to see this work'... It is working and it's out there for anyone to Google :-D

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Item #1 on the list has been completed.

I changed all links from BLUE to BOLD WHITE. Please take a look at any link on our site and let me know if you're pleased/displeased with the change. :beer:

P.S. Since Ken (kens03cobra) made the request for this change originally, I would especially like his input. :beer:

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
FYI, just added a new #3. I want to add a plain ol' 'Link' section to the 'Get List of Uploaded Files' functionality in the 'Video / Pictures' section of the website. This should be easy to do.

This website will be done... One day :-D :beer:

TRBO VNM

here is my dislike so far....

uploading pics I have to log in every single time. this has got to change somehow. and would be nice to upload multiple at once. just staying logged in and uploading one at a time would be a huge improvement.

haven't looked a the rest of the site yet.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
here is my dislike so far....

uploading pics I have to log in every single time. this has got to change somehow. and would be nice to upload multiple at once. just staying logged in and uploading one at a time would be a huge improvement.

haven't looked a the rest of the site yet.

A definite consideration. It took me a bit to get the PHP a) secure and b) able to upload directly to our site. Now I have to work all the specifics. Feedback like this is exactly what I'm looking for. I will add this to the list.

P.S. Jason, did it work for you from home? If so, that solves your FTP problem :beer:

TRBO VNM

Blk03SVTCobra said:
A definite consideration. It took me a bit to get the PHP a) secure and b) able to upload directly to our site. Now I have to work all the specifics. Feedback like this is exactly what I'm looking for. I will add this to the list.

P.S. Jason, did it work for you from home? If so, that solves your FTP problem :beer:

yes it did. I was very happy. :beer: until I had to log in for each of the pics...lol

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
yes it did. I was very happy. :beer: until I had to log in for each of the pics...lol

Check-out item #3 on the list in the first post :beer:

Oh yea, and you saw the uploaded pic in the 'Get List of Uploaded Files' results too, right?

***EDIT: Just completed item #4 on the list :beer: ***

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Blk03SVTCobra said:
Check-out item #3 on the list in the first post :beer:

Oh yea, and you saw the uploaded pic in the 'Get List of Uploaded Files' results too, right?

***EDIT: Just completed item #4 on the list :beer: ***

good deal, now just start doing them in order and I will be even more happy. :D

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
gcassidy said:
Seems like it works to me. I'd like to do a test to see if I'm using it correctly.

http://www.maca-online.com/uploads/gcassidy/small_OnTrack.mpg
Right click and save target (this is a small 3 min file).

If I'm correct, I should just load new stuff in the parent directory, right?

Exactly, Greg. It just doesn't (yet) have the capability to recognize sub-directories. Whatever was uploaded is still there, but the website tool will not show you those subdirectories. If anyone has any trouble accessing their stuff, please just let me know and I can give you a listing of all the files in your directory. :beer:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Item #3 on the list has been completed!!

I have made some significant updates to the video and picture uploading ability. I still need to enable multiple file uploads and thumbnail display for pictures (I'm working on it).

Also, I have updated all pages to be displayed using PHP to make the website code more maintainable and much more pretty. This is a transparent change to the users (you guys).

P.S. Since Jason (TRBO VNM) made the request for this change originally, I would especially like his input.

TRBO VNM

sean,

I don't have anything to upload right now. but I checked it out. as long as it keeps you logged in after uploaded, I would say part of #3 is complete. just need the multiple. I would say 5 max if we can get 5 at a time.

can I change the name of the images after they are uploaded? I see it gives you different link options depending on the imbedding you want. so can I change the name as long as it is changed on all of them to be the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread