Weight Reduction Specifics

chitowncobra

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Bought a new scale for work a couple of weeks back and brought it home this past week for a little weighing.....The scale is a professionally calibrated commercial model made in Germany.

I'm always looking for some simple weight reduction mods that won't compromise the comfort/appearance of the Cobra and/or can be temporarily removed relatively easily for drag day duty. Here's what I found:

Spare tire...........................-26.4 lbs
Jack/crow bar......................-6.6 lbs
Trunk pad...........................-6.0 lbs!
Mott bar (under diff).............-7.8 lbs
Front sway bar/brackets.......-12.4 lbs
Rear seat bottom.................-11.0 lbs
Rear seat back....................-25.6 lbs
Rear seat head rest..............-5.6 lbs
High flow catted midpipe........-22.6 lbs! (stocker=36.0, High flow=13.4)
Odyssey battery/bracket.......-22.2 lbs (stocker=37.6, Odyssey=15.4)
Front 3.5" ProStars(2)...........-40.0 lbs (stock w/ F1's=49.8, ProStar Skinnies/spacers=29.8 each)
Total.................................-186.2 lbs!!!

Notes:
-I run a cardboard rear seat delete at the track (tacky I know....), but be careful with the weight of the rear seat delete kit you may buy. Some are 12+ lbs.
-Didn't get to weigh my Off road H pipe (it's on the car!), but can probably only deduct 1-2 lbs for one....The Magnaflow catted X is light!
-Interesting info: OEM Chrommies w/ Nitto 315's = 52.4 lbs, OEM polished w/ MT 275's = 53.4 lbs.....

Thanks to ALMO, JRS BLOWN SNAKE, & Antex, among others, for sharing weight reduction ideas with me........
thanks for the i:pop: :pop: :pop: nformation!!!

chitowncobra

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Bought a new scale for work a couple of weeks back and brought it home this past week for a little weighing.....The scale is a professionally calibrated commercial model made in Germany.

I'm always looking for some simple weight reduction mods that won't compromise the comfort/appearance of the Cobra and/or can be temporarily removed relatively easily for drag day duty. Here's what I found:

Trunk pad...........................-6.0 lbs!
Front sway bar/brackets.......-12.4 lbs
Rear seat bottom.................-11.0 lbs
Rear seat back....................-25.6 lbs
Rear seat head rest..............-5.6 lbs
Odyssey battery/bracket.......-22.2 lbs (stocker=37.6, Odyssey=15.4)
Front 3.5" ProStars(2)...........-40.0 lbs (stock w/ F1's=49.8, ProStar Skinnies/spacers=29.8 each)
Total.................................-186.2 lbs!!!

Notes:
-I run a cardboard rear seat delete at the track (tacky I know....), but be careful with the weight of the rear seat delete kit you may buy. Some are 12+ lbs.
-Didn't get to weigh my Off road H pipe (it's on the car!), but can probably only deduct 1-2 lbs for one....The Magnaflow catted X is light!
-Interesting info: OEM Chrommies w/ Nitto 315's = 52.4 lbs, OEM polished w/ MT 275's = 53.4 lbs.....

Thanks to ALMO, JRS BLOWN SNAKE, & Antex, among others, for sharing weight reduction ideas with me........
thanks for the information:pop: :pop: :pop:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
bpandolfi said:
LIKE IRONTERP SAID, DOSILE AND STREETABLE. LOOKS LIKE A RACE CAR TO ME. BUT WHATEVER. I HAD AN 03 COBRA W/ A 76 MM TURBO THAT WOULD RUN THOSE NUMBERS BUT WAS CRAP TO DRIVE DAILY. I DONT KNOW HOW YOUR CAR IS BUT THERE IS A POINT TO WHERE DRIVABILTY IS SACRIFICED.
WOULDNT YOU AGREE. BUT IN THE END WE ARE ALL SEARCHING FOR LOW ET AND HIGH MPH. HOW WE GET THERE IS TO EACH HIS OWN OR THERE WOULD NOT BE ANY SPORT IN IT.

Put 7-8,000 miles a year on 'er!! A very streetable car especially with the spec 3+, IRS, & it idles as smooth as butter. I wanted a mid to low 10 second street/strip car without sacrificing drivablity and was able to do it.

Any type of weight reduction is healthy - even with cars......

Last edited:

dragon40k

Established Member
How much do I add back in for my full lenght MM subrame connecters? Those suckers were pretty heavy. I figgure between adding them and removing spare tire and stock midpipe I might only be breaking even.
Does anyone have a set in a box that can hop on their bathroom scale?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
dragon40k said:
How much do I add back in for my full lenght MM subrame connecters? Those suckers were pretty heavy. I figgure between adding them and removing spare tire and stock midpipe I might only be breaking even.
Does anyone have a set in a box that can hop on their bathroom scale?
I believe they are like 12 lbs, but I'd like an actual weight as well.

My additions:
MM subframe connectors...............Approx 12 lbs
Billetflow IRS Brace......................Approx 4 lbs
Spec steel flywheel.......................Approx 11.8 lbs
LFP Ice Box w/ water.....................Approx 4 lbs
My fat ass...................................Approx 250 lbs!!! :eek:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
BPandolfi, I'm glad to see you're picking on someone else besides me about taking stuff off their car. We all have different ideas about goin fast. As long as we all get there it's cool with me. I'll see ya at the track on Sun. bud. You're gonna hit the 10's for sure. BTW you caps lock is stuck. Ha ha. Oh yeah, and I love your new sig pic.

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member

Total.................................-63.4 lbs!!!

Sweet! That's definitely a good start!!! :rockon:

Thanks for the information!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
SIr RicCuS said:
Sweet! That's definitely a good start!!! :rockon:

Thanks for the information!
Don't forget to take out the trunk pad too. I couldn't believe it weighed 6 lbs!!!! I re-weighed it like 5 times to be sure.......

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Reducing the weight of your rotating mass, driveshaft, wheels, tires, rotors etc, will give you an even greater benefit. :idea:

Food for thought! :read:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
IronTerp said:
Don't forget to take out the truck pad too. I couldn't believe it weighed 6 lbs!!!! I re-weighed it like 5 times to be sure.......

What is the trunk pad specifically? The piece that lays over the spare tire well?

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Reducing the weight of your rotating mass, driveshaft, wheels, tires, rotors etc, will give you an even greater benefit. :idea:

Food for thought! :read:

Definitely! Carbon fiber driveshaft, Weld Prostars (+littles for the track), treating the gears, etc...

What can you do to the rotors?

Thanks, Bruce! Every post of yours seems to obtain wisdom and knowledge! :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SIr RicCuS said:
Definitely! Carbon fiber driveshaft, Weld Prostars (+littles for the track), treating the gears, etc...

What can you do to the rotors?

Thanks, Bruce! Every post of yours seems to obtain wisdom and knowledge! :beer:

Here is an example. I reduced front rotating mass almost 13.5# for the GT500 with these rotors:

gt500rotornowheelbq9.jpg

Rotors have aluminum hats. The weight savings for the 13" SN-95 2-pc rotors are not quite as much as these unfortunately. You can do it on the rears as well:

Front SN-95 14" 2-pc rotor on left and SN-95 rear 2-pc rotor on the right.

hatcomparoxj7.jpg

FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
Im going on a diet..I mean my car.......haha!!! I just realized.. every time I race..I have a bag with 65 lbs of tools in the trunk..(my oh no bag)....thats comming out for around town....

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Okay good info Iron Terp. The way I see it the only thing I really don't like about the 03/04 Cobra's... is the weight.

If you ever get a chance to accurately weight the 04 chrome rims alone I would be thankful. I have seen a pretty good variance in the reported weights of the 17X9 chrome rim.

lucheski

Established Member
F8LSNAKE said:
BPandolfi, I'm glad to see you're picking on someone else besides me about taking stuff off their car. We all have different ideas about goin fast. As long as we all get there it's cool with me. I'll see ya at the track on Sun. bud. You're gonna hit the 10's for sure. BTW you caps lock is stuck. Ha ha. Oh yeah, and I love your new sig pic.

Hey F8L, how much is the airbag delete worth?

Users who are viewing this thread