Weight Reduction Specifics

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
aluminum front/rear bumper support (about 30lbs for both). For guys w/ solid axles and no ABS you can do an ABS delete manifold which pulls 10lbs off the nose end of the car. For Track only cars you can do Aerospace Brakes, which pulles alot of weight off your rotating mass. (Not really for sreet cars)

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
What about the stock seats? I know they make lightweight racing seats that are still comfortable. Not sure if there's a big gap between the two.

04torchred

Established Member
I just want to get weight off the nose. I think in the next year or so I want to do the PSR K-member, Razors Edge Aluminum front bumper and see about some different seats. That should get some weight off the car and off the nose. I want to try and keep some weight in the rear so its got something to help push down on the tires for traction.

Is there anything else you can remove up front besides a battery relocation(don't want to do this because of the kill switch handle) I only hit the track maybe 10% of the time I drive it.

AaronK

Established Member
Sprung weight is anything that sits in the springs. An example would be the driver seat.

Unsprung weight is anything that does not sit on the springs. An example would be a wheel.

How does that make a difference in the rear end? If there IRS is sprung and the solid is unsprung does that help with the weight difference? The car still has to move more weight with the IRS... I'm a little naive when it comes to this stuff...

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I think the drivers seat weighs 65lbs and the pass. seat weights 45. Not 100% sure :shrug:

That's pretty accurate.

I'm getting the black Microsuede Corbeau TRS seats tonight! They weight 27lbs. each! That's a savings of 56lbs. from the front two seats and then another 38lbs. from the rear seat delete! I think that it's a pretty good amount of weight that's being saved here. Hell yes... 94lbs. less and well on my way...

2-1.gif

3-1.gif

8-1.gif

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
That's pretty accurate.

I'm getting the black Microsuede Corbeau TRS seats tonight! They weight 27lbs. each! That's a savings of 56lbs. from the front two seats and then another 38lbs. from the rear seat delete! I think that it's a pretty good amount of weight that's being saved here. Hell yes... 94lbs. less and well on my way...

Those look great. Which tracks/brackets did you use? Is the fit pretty good?

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I got one. Removing Magnaflow catback and installing Borla's. Its heavy seriously, I think at least 20 lbs? those mufflers are no joke

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Those look great. Which tracks/brackets did you use? Is the fit pretty good?

The specified ones from Corbeau. The fitment is perfect and they look wicked. Just installed them this morning at 2:00am! The rear seat delete is pretty sweet too. I'll throw some pictures up on Monday.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Hey Dwight, would you happen to know the weight difference between gt front brakes and rotors vs. the cobras? I think I know someone who'll swap with me.

Almo

Established Member
Hey Dwight, would you happen to know the weight difference between gt front brakes and rotors vs. the cobras? I think I know someone who'll swap with me.

Brakes:
03/04 Cobra Front Rotor with back Bracket (no calipers) - 33 lbs. (2)

I want to say the GT rotors weigh 11 pounds a piece, can't recall for sure.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Not sure about that one Larry, but JR tried talking me into the Aerospace brakes he's running on all 4 corners......Complete kit saved 96 lbs! :banana:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Not sure about that one Larry, but JR tried talking me into the Aerospace brakes he's running on all 4 corners......Complete kit saved 96 lbs! :banana:

I would love to run those, but right now I can probably do gt brakes for no money at all. Maybe one day I can get the Aerospace, that would have to affect et a good bit. Does he still have the abs or did he get rid of it? I wouldn't mind taking that off either, IMO it's only for people that can't drive anyway. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread