For track days this year, here is my plan:

Spare tire...........................-26.4 lbs
Trunk pad...........................-6.0 lbs
Rear seat bottom.................-11.0 lbs
Rear seat back....................-25.6 lbs
Rear seat head rest..............-5.6 lbs
High flow catted midpipe........-22.6 lbs
Passenger seat removed........-45 lbs

I might look into building my own RSD out of ABS plastic so that might add a few lbs, but shouldnt be too significant.

Total should be around 145lbs of weight from the car. Plus im on the P90x and slowly losing weight. So if I can get my fat ass down to 205lbs, it should be alot lighter for the track.
Jason, I'd consider taking off the front sway bar for track use as well. Getting the weight to transfer from our heavy ass noses to the rear tires can be quite a challenge and any help you get here from weight removal off the front end is a big help. The sway bar weighs about 12.4 lbs or so and is a freebie! Getting a lightweight battery will cost you $130 or so for everything, but helps a lot here too.

And then if you're REAL serious........Front skinny setup and tubular K member! :banana:

If you're REAL, REAL, REAL serious.........Aluminum Block! :banana::banana::banana:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Anyone remove the charcoal canister and have a weight for it? How about the EGR stuff? Any weights on aftermarket hoods?

Hofibretrends cowl hood is at 24#. Stock around 55# I believe. Haven't weighed it in a while. Too bad they don't make a alum one like 05+. It's like 18#.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
Hofibretrends cowl hood is at 24#. Stock around 55# I believe. Haven't weighed it in a while. Too bad they don't make a alum one like 05+. It's like 18#.

is the stock hood really like 55#s??? im buying a VIS CF cowl hood next week...i'm curious to put it on the scale and see how much lighter it is :idea:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Jason, I'd consider taking off the front sway bar for track use as well. Getting the weight to transfer from our heavy ass noses to the rear tires can be quite a challenge and any help you get here from weight removal off the front end is a big help. The sway bar weighs about 12.4 lbs or so and is a freebie! Getting a lightweight battery will cost you $130 or so for everything, but helps a lot here too.

And then if you're REAL serious........Front skinny setup and tubular K member! :banana:

If you're REAL, REAL, REAL serious.........Aluminum Block! :banana::banana::banana:
Holy crap Dwight! Does this mean that I'm real, real, real serious? :D

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
is the stock hood really like 55#s??? im buying a VIS CF cowl hood next week...i'm curious to put it on the scale and see how much lighter it is :idea:
Ok, just weighed it with my kid scales I use for the nitrous. Stock 03 hood 38#.., stock 69 hood w boss 429 scoop about 57#. So 38 - 24 = 14# less.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
can anyone find weight numbers for the factory v6/gt manual adjustment, cloth seats? I can find those pretty cheap usually, and they have to weigh a good bit less.

yellowgt02

Established Member
Thanks for the tips Dwight.

I have to drive almost an hour to get to the nearest track, and dont want to risk the drive-ability of the car on the highway without the front swaybar.
As for a Tubular K....That may be my plans next year...Im still on completely stock suspension. I may need a new clutch this year if I manage to get a pair of ET Streets bolted up.

-Jason

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I have to drive almost an hour to get to the nearest track, and dont want to risk the drive-ability of the car on the highway without the front swaybar.
As for a Tubular K....That may be my plans next year...Im still on completely stock suspension. I may need a new clutch this year if I manage to get a pair of ET Streets bolted up.
You know Jason, I had the same feelings as you about driving on the street without the front sway bar. But then I drove two of my buddies Cobras that had it removed and really couldn't tell a big difference. Heck, on 4 occasions I've driven to the track with front skinnies, no sway bar and ET Streets.....On one of them I was lucky enough to come home with a 10 second time slip. :banana:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
You know Jason, I had the same feelings as you about driving on the street without the front sway bar. But then I drove two of my buddies Cobras that had it removed and really couldn't tell a big difference. Heck, on 4 occasions I've driven to the track with front skinnies, no sway bar and ET Streets.....On one of them I was lucky enough to come home with a 10 second time slip. :banana:

I roll with no swaybar and fatz and skinniez all the time. Drives just fine as long as you don't get crazy in the corners.:beer:

IZZy SVT

shoutbox addict
Established Member
Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member

I agree w stock like front tires it will pull almost same g force via my g tech pro comp. In fact w nitto dr radials on, it was superior to the goodyears in back. Even w the 275 m/ts it's still pretty good, the hoosiers though have a very thin sidewall so no cornering much w those. I've driven 600 to 700 mi no issues if it didn't rain in one trip. That's my 2c. I guess when you drive a 69 w a big block in it, these are great. Those are death traps w drum brakes.

96lowbra

SN8KE B.I.T.3
Established Member
what is the mott bar any pictures and what is odyssey battery any one can
help????

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
what is the mott bar any pictures and what is odyssey battery any one can
help????
Mott bar was answered above. Just look under the rear of your car. It's the weight that looks kind of like a dog bone hanging off the bottom of your rear end. The odyssey battery is a small light weight battery that can be found at Summit. Davis Unified Ignitions also sells one called the Dynabatt. They only weigh about 13lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread