what do you think about STIs?

what do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
the 6spd's in them are lot more stronger than in the 5spds in the normal wrx.

btw, that interior pic is of the new ones.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I drove a friend's 04 STI. I really liked it. It felt nimble and agile, pulled relatively hard, did had a slight case of understeer as all unmodified cars are designed to have.

The comfort factor was quite good considering the small car stiff springs and shocks dynamic.

Do drive one or two if possible. Search reviews and reliability also. I think you will find it a very fun and livable car, that daily driving will not get old in.

musclefan21

Established Member
I drove a friend's 04 STI. I really liked it. It felt nimble and agile, pulled relatively hard, did had a slight case of understeer as all unmodified cars are designed to have.

The comfort factor was quite good considering the small car stiff springs and shocks dynamic.

Do drive one or two if possible. Search reviews and reliability also. I think you will find it a very fun and livable car, that daily driving will not get old in.

Thanks a lot man! very helpful:rockon:

cthunder

Established Member
My wife DD's a '06 Subaru Legacy GT, they're very nice to drive and dont look like they should be fast, but they are. They have the same engine (EJ25) but de-tuned to 250 hp... I love driving it! It kept up with a friends STi until about 4th.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I love mine, running full Cobb Stage 1. The trans/drivetrain on the STIs are amazingly tough. They do take more work than an EVO though for higher HP. I get about 24 MPG on the highway. It's a very practical car but insurance is high.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
=there trannys are made of glass.

That's complete crap. STIs have very strong drivetrains. Sounds like you are regurgitating crap you know nothing about. I know plenty of high hp STIs in Austin and none have ever had transmission problems. :shrug:

musclefan21

Established Member
I love mine, running full Cobb Stage 1. The trans/drivetrain on the STIs are amazingly tough. They do take more work than an EVO though for higher HP.

for example what would take to get STIs to run mid-low 12s and trap 115+mph

97cobra1

Established Member
That's complete crap. STIs have very strong drivetrains. Sounds like you are regurgitating crap you know nothing about. I know plenty of high hp STIs in Austin and none have ever had transmission problems. :shrug:

I don't know much about the STi drivetrain but i do know i've personally seen three wrx 5 speeds shit out.

Hate too sink your boat, save your money, STI 'sare fast
but they are f*cking ugly. Not too mention they are the most,
riceist (if thats even a word) looking import ever.
And if you do buy one, don't forgot to put a 3 inch exhaust on it
that way you can make it official.
Because your opinion is the end all be all of what is and isn't good? 3 inch turbo back on an sti = cheapest bang for the buck bolt on for the car period, well unless you're dumb enough to not pay a muffler shop with the equipment to fab you a mandrel bent 3 inch setup. know guys that have gotten 3 inch turbo back mandrel bent for around 400 bucks, including muffler, on quite a few turbo cars.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If you want moddability, dont get a WRX/STi. Buddy has a 06 WRX and has put a shitload of money into it (20g setup + support, new clutch and built tranny) and can barely pull away from a S1 SRT4. Gets eaten alive by most bolton Evo's. all the dsm's in the area laugh because he spent more on his tranny than most of us did on our entire cars + setup and walk all over him.

It turns nice and drives nice, but thats about the extent of its abilities, and you can do the same on a Evo for less and get better results.

97cobra1

Established Member
If you want moddability, dont get a WRX/STi. Buddy has a 06 WRX and has put a shitload of money into it (20g setup + support, new clutch and built tranny) and can barely pull away from a S1 SRT4. Gets eaten alive by most bolton Evo's. all the dsm's in the area laugh because he spent more on his tranny than most of us did on our entire cars + setup and walk all over him.

It turns nice and drives nice, but thats about the extent of its abilities, and you can do the same on a Evo for less and get better results.

By 20g you mean the turbo right? And by s1 SRT4 you mean stage one, correct? I'm sorry but a 20g on an STi with supporting mods would rape a stage 1 srt4. Unless you're friend is racing in reverse or running 5psi.

Stage 1 on a srt4 is:
240 hp @ 5200 rpm
260 ft-lbs @ 2400-4400 rpm straight off the mopar site. Looks to me like your friend can't drive.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Dont that have issue with stuff breaking on hard lauches? I hear the rear ends don't hold up that well.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
By 20g you mean the turbo right? And by s1 SRT4 you mean stage one, correct? I'm sorry but a 20g on an STi with supporting mods would rape a stage 1 srt4. Unless you're friend is racing in reverse or running 5psi.

Stage 1 on a srt4 is:
240 hp @ 5200 rpm
260 ft-lbs @ 2400-4400 rpm straight off the mopar site. Looks to me like your friend can't drive.

do i smell subie fanboi?

97cobra1

Established Member
do i smell subie fanboi?

Nope. I just know waht cars are capable of. A 20g subi, tuned on pump gas at ~19PSI would be putting down roughly 350-370ALL WHEELhp depending on the tune. A friend of mine has a stage 3+ neon (bigger turbo, new ecu meth injection) and dynoed 316fwhp at 16psi off meth. Like i said, Either your friend can't drive, or something is wrong with his setup. It's not a "fanboi" statement. It's a general knowledge of cars statement.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Nope. I just know waht cars are capable of. A 20g subi, tuned on pump gas at ~19PSI would be putting down roughly 350-370ALL WHEELhp depending on the tune. A friend of mine has a stage 3+ neon (bigger turbo, new ecu meth injection) and dynoed 316fwhp at 16psi off meth. Like i said, Either your friend can't drive, or something is wrong with his setup. It's not a "fanboi" statement. It's a general knowledge of cars statement.

dunno what to tell you, other than they are unimpressive.

its a 20g at 17ish psi, tuned by GruppeS here in the bay area. put down 275awhp on their dyno (mustang dyno iirc) and they were having issues controlling boost due to how the ecu contols boost on these cars (im a dsmer, i control boost by a home depot made mbc for under 3$, not ecu controlled bullshit).

from a dig the S1 SRT4 would start to close the gap by end of 3rd. From a roll the wrx barely pulled away but once the SRT4 hit 4th it would close the gap and be at the tail by the time they shut down. the SRT4 had at the time S1 ECU, mopar exhaust, AGP WG and ran like 15psi iirc.

that same SRT4 also had its way with another "modded" STi that night and the outcome was even worse for the subie.

being a dsmer i love turbo cars, but a subie is the last one on a long list of factory turbo cars i would ever think about owning. first on the list if not a dsm is a Evo (since its basically a dsm with a warranty). Those above two arent it but its like every subie i have seen in person, online or wherever has failed to impress, especially with how long these mod lists are or what owners have spend on them.

97cobra1

Established Member
dunno what to tell you, other than they are unimpressive.

its a 20g at 17ish psi, tuned by GruppeS here in the bay area. put down 275awhp on their dyno (mustang dyno iirc) and they were having issues controlling boost due to how the ecu contols boost on these cars (im a dsmer, i control boost by a home depot made mbc for under 3$, not ecu controlled bullshit).

from a dig the S1 SRT4 would start to close the gap by end of 3rd. From a roll the wrx barely pulled away but once the SRT4 hit 4th it would close the gap and be at the tail by the time they shut down. the SRT4 had at the time S1 ECU, mopar exhaust, AGP WG and ran like 15psi iirc.

that same SRT4 also had its way with another "modded" STi that night and the outcome was even worse for the subie.

being a dsmer i love turbo cars, but a subie is the last one on a long list of factory turbo cars i would ever think about owning. first on the list if not a dsm is a Evo (since its basically a dsm with a warranty). Those above two arent it but its like every subie i have seen in person, online or wherever has failed to impress, especially with how long these mod lists are or what owners have spend on them.

Tell your friend to take it to a shop that knows wtf they're doing with tuning it then. A friend of mines dad just had his tuned and on the stock turbo it made better numbers than your friend. It's not it's responsiveness to mods, it's your tuners lack of knowing wtf he's doing obviously.

What kind of DSM you got? Buddy of mine just picked up a 91 tsi to build up since he had to sell his GSX he used to have.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
for example what would take to get STIs to run mid-low 12s and trap 115+mph

The 115 trap will be harder than getting into the 12s. You can cut a 12.5-12.6 with just a Cobb Stage 2 AccessPort and a full turbo back exhaust with a trap around 106-107mph. This is on pump gas.

To get higher traps or into the low 12s/11s you would need to replace the turbo to a GT30r or similar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread